Author Topic: Jewish Prayer : Tefillah  (Read 28117 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Jewish Prayer : Tefillah
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2013, 02:26:16 AM »
The POWER OF TEFILLAH presentation from Pure Torah:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2013, 01:13:56 AM »
This weeks Torah reading is Eikev which contains more of the Shema prayer... This article contains the thoughts of the last Lubavitch Rebbe on some of the thoughts we should contemplate when we say this prayer.

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/53667/jewish/The-Second-Chapter.htm

The Second Chapter of the Shema
Based on the teachings of the Lubavitcher Rebbe
Courtesy of MeaningfulLife.com

An important component of the Torah reading of Eikev is the nine verses (Deuteronomy 11:13–21) which constitute the second parshah (“section” or “chapter”) of the Shema.

Last week’s reading of Va’etchanan included the six verses that make up the Shema’s first section (Deuteronomy 6:4–9). A third section (Numbers 15:37–41) completes the twenty verses which the Jew is obligated to recite each morning and each evening of his life. Together, the Shema’s three chapters enumerate the fundamental beliefs and practices of the Jewish faith: the oneness of G‑d; our love of Him; Torah study; education; the mitzvot of tefillin, mezuzah and tzitzit; the concept of reward and punishment; and the remembrance of the Exodus.

But while the third section contains precepts (the mitzvah of tzitzit and the remembrance of the Exodus) not contained in the first two, a large part of the second section seems but a repetition of what has already been stated in the first. The first section reads:

Hear O Israel, the L‑rd is our G‑d, the L‑rd is one. You shall love the L‑rd your G‑d with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I command you this day, shall be upon your heart; you shall teach them thoroughly to your children, and you shall speak of them when sitting in your home and walking on the road, when you lie down and when you arise. You shall bind them as a sign upon your hand, and they shall be as tefillin between your eyes. You shall write them upon the doorposts of your home and gates.

The second section of the Shema reads (the repetitious passages are in bold):

And it shall come to pass if you diligently hearken to My commandments which I command you today, to love the L‑rd your G‑d and to serve Him with all your hearts and with all your souls: I will give the rain of your land in its due season, the early rain and the late rain, and you shall gather your grain, your wine and your oil. I will give grass in your fields for your cattle, and you shall eat and be sated. Take heed for yourselves, lest your heart be led astray, and you turn away and worship alien gods and bow down to them. G‑d’s anger will then be inflamed against you, and He will stop up the heavens so that there be no rain, and that the earth not yield its produce; and you will swiftly perish from the good land that G‑d is giving you. You shall place these words of Mine upon your hearts and upon your souls; you shall bind them as a sign upon your hands, and they shall be tefillin between your eyes. You shall teach them to your children to speak of them when sitting in your home and walking on the road, when you lie down and when you arise. You shall write them upon the doorposts of your home and gates. In order that your days be multiplied, and the days of your children, upon the land that G‑d vowed to your fathers to give to them for as long as the heavens are above the earth.

The most obvious difference between the two sections is that the first simply instructs the Jew to pursue his or her relationship with G‑d, without promising reward or threatening punishment. The second section, while enjoining us to do the very same things as the first, informs us of the benefits of doing so (“I will give the rain of your land in its due season . . . and you shall eat and be sated”; “In order that your days be multiplied . . . upon the land”) and warns us of the consequences of transgression (“He will stop up the heavens”; “You will soon perish from the good land”). Other than that, however, the second section seems a repetition of the first, with only minor differences in wording and syntax.

Rashi, in his commentary on these verses, cites several further examples of how the second section introduces a concept or injunction not included in the first. These include:

2) In the second section, the commandment to love G‑d is given in the plural (“with all your hearts and with all your souls”) rather than the singular (“with all your heart, with all your soul”) employed by the first section. The first section, explains Rashi, is an injunction to the individual, while the second is an injunction to the community. (This difference is repeated throughout the two sections. The Hebrew language distinguishes between second-person singular and second-person plural, as Old English does with “thou” and “you.” The entire first section speaks in second-person singular, the second section in second-person plural.)

3) In the second section, the commandments to don tefillin, study and teach Torah and affix mezuzot immediately follow the warning that “you will swiftly perish from the good land that G‑d is giving you.” This, says Rashi (citing Sifri), is to teach us that also after you are exiled, you must distinguish yourselves with the mitzvot: put on tefillin, make mezuzot, so that these not be new to you when you return.

(There are many instances in which the Torah speaks of the mitzvot as laws to be observed in the Holy Land—most notably in Deuteronomy 6:1–3, the verses preceding the first section of the Shema. Hence the need for the Torah to reiterate them here, after alluding to a time when the people of Israel will be exiled from their land.)

An examination of the two sections reveals more differences between them:

4) The first section enjoins one to love G‑d “with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your might.” The second speaks only of “hearts” and “souls,” omitting “might.”

5) In the first section, the commandment to study and teach Torah precedes the commandment to don tefillin. In the second section, the order is reversed.
Read the entire article @ http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/53667/jewish/The-Second-Chapter.htm
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Rabbi Noach Oelbaum gives a 30 minute talk on the importance of Tefillah...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2013, 12:53:50 AM »
I don't know what this is supposed to be... It seems like a race to the end of saying Shema. I really hate that because I am not one who rushes through my tefillah. I like to pronounce the words with my lips and loud enough for me to hear it, and I don't want to slur words, so I am usually one of the last to finish my Shema (even though I have said it every day for 10 years).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2013, 12:59:46 AM »
How challenges are sent to us in order to keep us on the path, prayer is the answer...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2013, 01:57:26 AM »
Rabbi Sutton from his series on the Amidah/Shemone Esrei prayer...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2013, 02:13:53 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2013, 02:58:09 AM »
Sorry but I originally posted this in the wrong thread... Here it is in the Tefillah thread...

Lecture by Rabbi Dror Moshe Cassouto, Yeshivat Chut Shel Chesed, Jerusalem

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2013, 03:01:49 AM »
Ok, now for something entirely different. The only relation this video has to this thread is something that Rabbi Cassouto said at the end of the last video concerning how a man (Gebor or Strong Man) must relate with his wife. Last night I listened to the Rush song Animate which reminds me of my previous marriage because I attended that Rush concert with my ex. The song discusses this concept of the concept of manhood and the balance of dominance and submission.

Here is the song with the lyrics...

http://www.torah.org/learning/pirkei-avos/chapter4-1b.html

"Ben (the son of) Zoma said, who is wise? He who learns from all people, as it is said: 'From all those who taught me I gained understanding' (Psalms 119:99). Who is strong? He who conquers his evil inclination, as it is said: 'Better is one slow to anger than a strong man, and one who rules over his spirit than a conqueror of a city' (Proverbs 16:32). Who is rich? He who is satisfied with his lot, as it is said: 'When you eat the toil of your hands you are fortunate and it is good for you' (Psalms 128:2). 'You are fortunate' -- in this world; 'and it is good for you' -- in the World to Come. Who is honored? He who honors others, as it is said: 'For those who honor Me will I honor, and those who scorn Me will be degraded' (I Samuel 2:30)."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
The web site Torah.org has many excellent article on issues regarding Jewish faith and rituals. Here is a commentary on the Nesivos Shalom (a sefer by the Slonimer Rebbe)...

The Nesivos Shalom is a sefer which enjoys enormous popularity in every nook and cranny of the Orthodox world - Litvish, Yeshivish, Right-wing, Centrist, Shtreimel and Kippah Serugah. The Slonimer Rebbe zt"l seems to have found the perfect mix of passionate and inspiring Chassidus, and Mussar that speaks directly to the individual. As a seasoned leader, he understood people with all their contemporary faults and is not afraid to directly confront issues of failure, lack of connectedness, depression, etc., incorporating even the negatives into a roadmap that leads inevitably to a higher place for the person seeking it.

http://www.torah.org/advanced/nesivosshalom/howwedaven.html
How We Daven 1

By Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein

Rambam loses no time at the beginning of Hilchos Tefillah in placing davening in a mitzvah universe of its own. Unlike so many practical, activity-oriented mitzvos, prayer is “avodah,” a Divine “service,” albeit performed in the heart.

Rambam proceeds to dissect this unique mitzvah, but we are puzzled by some of the components. We find it difficult to understand why all of these pieces are so valuable in painting a spiritual canvas of davening. Why is the regularity so important – that we “pray and entreat each day?” Why is it essential that we “relate His praises?” And what is so spiritual and so essential about “asking for our needs…in requests and entreaties?” If and when a person needs something, let him simply go the One who can fill his request? Why do we elevate this practice into the very definition of what prayer is about?

The Ari z”l pithily observed that the holy intentions of davening bring about the union of HKBH and His Shechinah. At the heart of this mystical teaching stands the very down to earth central element of prayer. Ultimately, tefillah is about union. Davening unites us with Hashem. This devekus is so potent, that it spills over to the Upper Worlds, where it brings HKBH and the Shechinah together in a mystical union.

When this realization penetrates, we have little trouble understanding all the items that the Rambam includes. Each one plays a role in bringing us close to Hashem, in leading us to devekus.

First, Rambam tells us that a person should “pray and entreat each day.” He does not mean that we turn to Hashem for our needs – he mentions doing that at a later point. Rather, Rambam tells us that the essence of davening is pouring out our souls, from a heart full of love into the heart of the One we love. A more elevated subcategory of this emotional expression is pouring out our souls specifically about spiritual needs, whether they are born of intense longing for Hashem, or of the pain of feeling distant from Him, removed from the closeness we would like to feel.

Rambam then speaks about declaring Hashem’s praise. This, too, is difficult to grasp at first. Of what value are the praises of puny, uncomprehending Man, who cannot begin to understand the greatness of his Creator? Whatever words he offers actually diminish Hashem’s honor, rather than add to it, because he so completely understates – no matter how hard he tries – Hashem’s greatness. (The gemara [2] actually mocks the person who is lavish in his praise of Hashem: “Have you completely accounted for all His praises?”)

We can find an analogy to the value of declaring His praises in the singing of shirah. Shirah is the expression of the devekus we feel for Hashem. Its source is the longing for Him, the thirst for closeness that cannot be slaked.

Maharal explains even more. Shirah, he says, is appropriate to the Jewish people, because they are described as Hashem’s children. This is turn means that in them we sense the complete dependence of one for the other; we can see in their existence no other source other than the Divine. There is no pretense of being able to make it on their own.

Jews can be described as the “effects” gravitating to their Cause. Maharal takes up this theme to explain the medrash that at the crossing of the Sea, a nursing child turned away from its mother when it saw the Shechinah, and it, too, recited the Song of the Sea. Ordinarily, the bond between baby and mother is that of effect and cause. The child is completely dependent upon and linked to the mother that both gave birth to it and continues to supply it with all of it needs. When the Shechinah manifested itself at the Sea, however, the child discovered its more fundamental Cause, and turned towards it in declaration of that dependence. This thought gives voice to the mode of address of Klal Yisroel to HKBH in singing shirah: a declaration of full and absolute dependence.

The statement of connection and dependence is not limited to joyous declaration through shirah. In truth, it applies to the opposite as well. Feelings of pain and suffering can also be a kind of shirah, in that they too can express profound longing for Hashem. A person can sense Hashem’s love for him in the midst of, or more accurately because of, the suffering he endures. He can sense that Hashem afflicts him only to lovingly guide him in a different direction.

Succinctly put, a person cannot sing any kind of shirah with stunted, suppressed feelings, nor with a closed-up mind and heart. Shirah can only come from emotions whose restraints have loosened, so that they are developed and magnified.

When our emotions are set free in this way, the possibilities for shirah multiply. We then participate in shirah not only through expansiveness, but even in our travail. To be sure, we recite a from of shirah when we properly read from pesukei de-zimrah, the selections of praise in Tehillim in the morning prayer: “Praise Hashem from the heavens. Praise Him in the heights….Praise Him, sun and moon; praise Him, all bright stars…Praise Hashem from the earth, sea giants and all watery depths. Fire and hail, snow and vapor, raging wind fulfilling His word.” [3] There is a form of shirah, however, implicit as well in our heartfelt plea to Him: “Hashem, do not rebuke me in Your anger, nor chastise me in Your rage. Favor me, Hashem, for I am feeble.” [4] “How long, Hashem, will you endlessly forget me? How long will You hide Your face from me?” [5] is part of a section of Tehillim called mizmor, not lamentation. Even “O G-d, the nations have entered into Your inheritance. They have defiled the Sanctuary of Your holiness” [6] is part of a mizmor. For those who composed these lines, all was shirah. Dovid found himself in the wilderness, a far from the precincts of kedushah, and through it expressed his longing for Hashem: “O G-d, You are my G-d. I seek You. My soul thirsts for You. My flesh longs for You.” [7]

On Shabbos, we elevate this mode of davening to a position of exclusivity. We eliminate all the requests and petitions from the middle section of Shemonah Esrei, and instead wax lyical about the specialness of Shabbos! During the week, our prayer combines goals and means of achieving them. We spend ample time expressing our vulnerabilities, our wants and desires, and directly beseech Hashem for solutions. We also seek closeness to Hashem through the shirah of praising Him. On Shabbos, when we taste of the experience of olam habo, we elect only the more elevated of the two modes, and shift entirely to giving voice to our longing and desire for Him. We act similarly on Yom Tov, where the musaf speaks of our longing for Him in the midst of our galus, exiled without the closeness of the Beis Ha- Mikdosh. On the Yamim Noraim, we are even more focused. We spend an enormous amount of time in shirah – all of it effectively connected to one theme: our intense desire to see Hashem’s malchus fully reign over the entire world.

Rambam continues with a third element of tefillah, one we mentioned above in passing. We ask Hashem for all we need. We might think that this is self-centered and unholy. [8] Maharal [9] explains that the opposite is true. By turning to Hashem for every need, large and small, we negate our self-sufficiency and self- importance. Instead, we realize that we are utterly dependent upon Him – and therefore inexorably attached to him, as surely as a tree is attached to the ground.

The daily schedule of tefillah allows us to refine this idea of complete dependence, to experience it with all parts of our being.

In the first moments of consciousness, our basic physicality resists any suggestion of disturbing the sweetness and tranquility of sleep, or lying dormant and inactive. Rising to daven shacharis, we submit ourselves physically to His service.

Sometime at the height of our frenetic activity to wring as much productivity out of our working time as possible, we pause for mincha. In so doing, we attach our monetary interests entirely to Him.

After dark, when we contend with work-induced exhaustion, it is natural that we should want nothing more than calm, solitude, and rest. We disturb the stillness and serenity that we seek in our spirits by interrupting once more, and turning to Hashem at maariv. We thus subjugate our spirits to Him as well.

Between the different daily tefillos, then, we emphasize our complete reliance upon Him, to the point that we hold back none of the different parts of ourselves – physical, monetary, spiritual. In everything we are, we are really only Him. This understanding is what we call Elokus – His serving as the recognized, perceived power behind all of us and everything.

It is natural to look out for ourselves, to satisfy our ordinary wants and desires. Each of us is at the center of our own universe. Nothing is as real to us as our own experience, because everything we think or know or sense exists within our own experience. According to this passage in Maharal, in our quest to look out for ourselves, we come to realize that we are not so real, and not so central. We gradually understand that the ultimate reality, and the only ultimate existence, is Hashem Himself.

Paradoxically, it is the part of prayer that seems most us-centered – our laundry list of needs and wants – that leads us to the conclusion that it is not about us at all.

1. Based on Nesivos Shalom, vol. 1 pgs. 181-185
2. Berachos 33B
3. Tehillim 148
4. Tehillim 6
5. Tehillim 13
6. Tehillim 79:1
7. Tehillim 63:1-2
8. Indeed, people outside the observant community who begin to study traditional Judaism often voice their discomfort with attaching so much spiritual significance to what seems to be a shopping spree in a Heavenly supermarket
9. Nesiv He-Avodah, chap. 3

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2014, 12:58:07 AM »
Rabbi Finkelstein posted this video recently covering the morning prayer service called 'Sacharit' which we pray every day.

For those who missed reading this thread because I posted it in 2012 it contains many good insights into the 'Kevanah' or 'intention' we should meditate on while saying the prayers of the service.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2014, 01:11:41 AM »
I don't think I have seen this video of the Lubavitch Rebbe davening Shacharit at a students sons Bar Mitzvah service...