Author Topic: Scriptural Sources for Jewish Emmunah / Faith  (Read 1703 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Scriptural Sources for Jewish Emmunah / Faith
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »
I strongly believe, along with many great Rabbis, that Emmunah (Simple Faith) is important to keep a religious Jew going in the face of all the things which we see in the world which runs against us. With the mainstream media constantly portraying Jews and Israel in such a negative light it sometimes seems hopeless that we will realize our dreams. Hashem has set mighty tests in our way, in order to make sure we are the real Children of Israel, the ones which our prophets told will inherit the land. Keeping the Faith is important for the Jewish nation, as these scriptural sources demonstrate:

http://ilovetorah.com/sefarim/emunah.htm

EMUNAH:

1 “Though he slays me, yet will I trust in him.” (Job 13:15)

Come what may, one must always place their complete trust in Hashem. Your best friend, wife or your children could turn against you, Heaven forbid, but do not worry. This is a signal from Hashem that He wants you to search your heart. You should realize that you owe your very being to Him. In Hashem alone you should place your trust.

2 “Blessed is the man who trusts in Hashem and whose hope Hashem is.” (Jeremiah 17:7)

It is not enough to just believe that what is happening comes from Hashem. One must believe that salvation is soon to come as well. When you trust in someone it means you are willing to give a part of your soul over to him or her. That is why when someone breaks your trust you are hurt so much. It is because they have snatched part of your soul. If you give over you soul to Hashem, He will return it full of blessing.

3 “Trust in Hashem with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding.” (Proverbs 3:5)

When occurrences happen which seem strange, it is natural for people to come up with their own explanation of what happened. Through this they feel that the situation makes sense and becomes easier to deal with. When you truly trust in Hashem, you do not have to turn toward your own understanding. The acceptance that everything comes from Hashem with full trust means that you do not need to use your own reasoning.

4 “Trust in Hashem and do good so you shall dwell in the land and be nourished by [your] faith.” (Psalms 37:3)

You cannot live a productive life without having faith. Faith has a calming effect on a person and this nourishes the entire body. It enables a person with the necessary tools to advance both physically and spiritually.

5 “And they that know My name will put their trust in Me.” (Psalms 9:11)

A person is so blind as to put their trust in a person that they do not know. But how does one get to know Hashem? Well, if you wanted to get close to an important person, what would you do? You would find out who knows them and draw close to them in hopes they will then draw you close the person you are truly seeking to know. These people we need to draw to are the Tzaddikim.

6 King David said, “The way of trust, I have chosen, Your mandates I have set before Me.” (Psalms 119:30)

In each situation that you are faced, you have many directions in which to progress. To decide to trust in Hashem isn’t always the easiest choice but it’s the most worthy one. 

7 “Concerning Moses our teacher, it is written, “In all my house he is the faithful.” (Numbers 12:7)

Who would you want as a best friend, a person who believes in you. Moses was the most faithful of all Hashem’s creations. Therefore, it was him who Hashem drew closest to Him, talking to him through the burning bush.

8 “For Hashem will help me, therefore I am not confounded.” (Isaiah 50:7)

If a person doesn’t believe in Hashem, they will always be confused. They will not know whether to go towards the right or left. When you trust in Hashem, even if you go left when you should have gone right, in the end, you will end up where you need to be.

9. “He that trusts in the Hashem, loving-kindness surrounds him. (Psalms 32:10)

When you put your trust in something and its outcome is fruitful. Then you will celebrate thereafter all the kindness that has been done for you. If you go through life without trust in Hashem, then the good things He does for you will go unnoticed. Therefore you will never feel his loving-kindness that is truly there at all times.

10. “Trust in Hashem and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faith.” (Psalms 37:3)

One should constantly try to improve in their faith in Hashem. Just like land must be tilled and soiled, so must we continuously work on our faith in Hashem. We can do this by trusting in Hashem and doing mitzvos. 

11. “And the people believed.” (Exodus 4:31)

It seems to be such a remarkable thing that the people believed. Of course they should have believed. Hashem gives one sign after another to us but yet, we forget? We need to see more signs to know that He is there with us. Why can’t we remember what we have already seen? Hashem in His complete understanding of the human nature takes into account this flaw and sends us signs to strengthen us.

12. “Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not affrighted, neither be thou dismayed: for Hashem thy Hashem is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” (Joshua 1:9)

In order to follow the commandments of Hashem, one has to be strong and courageous. You cannot be scared of the Satan or of the ups and downs you will experience trying to become to Hashem. Hashem says, “I will always be there beside you even when you fall. So place your trust in Me, ‘I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee[1].’”

13. “Blessed is the man who trusts and relies upon Hashem.” (Jeremiah 17:1)

If a mortal king would see one of his subjects devoting himself to his will then naturally he would share with him some of his wealth. The same is true with Hashem; if we trust in him relying on Him totally then he will share His treasures with us.

14. “Cast unto the Hashem thy burden, and he will sustain thee.” (Psalms 55:23)

Hashem wants us not to worry about our difficulties. He would rather we give them over to Him trustingly. Don’t keep your problems to yourself, make the necessary histadlus (effort) and cast the burden of worry onto Him whom sustains the world.

15. “And as for me, in Your loving kindness I have trusted.” (Psalms 13:6)

By trusting in Hashem’s loving kindness, you arouse Hashem’s mercy. With mercy Hashem sustains all creatures giving them sustenance. Patiently the bird flies through the sky looking for food with confidence Hashem will provide for his needs. We too must trust in the loving kindness of Hashem. 

16. “Cursed is the man who puts his faith in man.” (Jeremiah 17:5)

Since Hashem is Infinite and beyond the grasp of our understanding, it is easy for us to feel he is inaccessible to us. If instead we chose to put our faith in man for our answers, then we are bound to loose, as man is only a creation of Hashem baring no ability of his own to fix. Therefore we must place our trust in Hashem and Him alone. We may use the help of man to assist us but certainly our faith should be in the Almighty.

17. “Hashem of hosts, fortunate is the man who trusts in You.” (Psalms 84:13)

Whenever the name Hashem of hosts is used, it is alluding to the completion of judgment from Hashem. Especially fortunate is the person who at this time has faith in Hashem. The name Hashem of hosts will then ease the tribulation.[2]   

18. “Trust and rely upon Him at all times.” (Psalms 62:9)

It’s common for people to sometimes only trust in Hashem when it is most convenient for them. One should trust in Hashem at all times, especially when things are most difficult. When trust in Hashem seems too come far too easy for a person, maybe it is then that they should evaluate if their faith is real.

[1] Joshua 1:9
[2] Sha’are Orah, The Fifth Gate
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14