Author Topic: Thoughts on Shalom Bayit (Peace in the Home)  (Read 3456 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Thoughts on Shalom Bayit (Peace in the Home)
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:06:58 AM »
Shalom Bayit is a very important thing for a religious Jew. Having peace in the home is essential in order to be able to study Torah and to daven in your home. If you are married, or have been married {as I have been}, you know that a wife who is unhappy can cause incalculable problems. My previous marriage had its ups and downs, and ended in divorce... This was before my Teshuva {and one of the reasons which caused me to do Teshuva}. If I had known then what I know now about keeping peace between a husband and a wife I am sure that that marriage could have been saved.

I realize most Jewish JTF members are still single. But the concept of Shalom Bayit should be learned by all men, and women should study the womanly aspect of Shalom Bayit, as I believe this will lead to more Torah learning, and more Tefillah (prayer), and this in turn will strengthen the Jewish people both spiritually and physically.

Here are some videos on the topic. Rabbi Lazer Brody of Yeshiva Chut Shel Chesed ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalom_Arush ) speaks on this topic quite often.

Shalom Bayit & Parnassa (Livelihood)

For the Women:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Thoughts on Shalom Bayit (Peace in the Home)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 01:09:41 AM »
Here is the 1st five minutes of a Naaleh talk on Shalom Bayit:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:17:40 AM »
The famous Rabbi Yosef Mizrachi talking for almost two hours on this topic (though he will probably talk about other things in the course of his lecture)...

Offline Torah4Israel

• New JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »

Here is nice and beuty lecture of Rabbi yossi mizrahi

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:58:47 AM »
That is very interesting. I am scared of marriage because I never realized what a huge step it is. I always thought it was just being husband and wife with the monthly separation for women. No big deal.

Well, I recently got engaged and my future husband sent me a book called "Women's Wison (The Garden of Peace for Women)" by Rabbi Arush but translated by Rabbi Lazer Brody.

And I never realized what peace meant. To keep peace in the home for the sake of allowing the divine presence to be in the home. How G-d will not be present in marriages where one is selfish and fighting. The book is absolutely incredible but the more I read it, the more I realize how unprepared I have been. I am going to watch the lectures tomorrow. Thanks for posting.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »
Congratulations on your engagement! : ) It's tough and scary at times, but you'll be a wonderful wife! Just remember ... he's still just a knuckle dragging neanderthal.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »

Well, I recently got engaged and my future husband sent me a book called "Women's Wison (The Garden of Peace for Women)" by Rabbi Arush but translated by Rabbi Lazer Brody.

Good and smart man. I recommend you giving him "The Garden of Peace: A Marital Guide for Men Only (Paperback) by Rabbi Shalom Arush (Author) [Paperback] by Rabbi Shalom Arush  .Same author of the book he gave you but for men. I read it as well.
   Don't read it (the men's version) yourself though. If both of you follow your part both of you will B"H have a very happy and healthy marriage. Mazal tov.

.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:55:25 AM »
Good and smart man. I recommend you giving him "The Garden of Peace: A Marital Guide for Men Only (Paperback) by Rabbi Shalom Arush (Author) [Paperback] by Rabbi Shalom Arush  .Same author of the book he gave you but for men. I read it as well.
   Don't read it (the men's version) yourself though. If both of you follow your part both of you will B"H have a very happy and healthy marriage. Mazal tov.

Thank you so much! :)