Author Topic: Inspiring Music?  (Read 66352 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Inspiring Music?
« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
Another classic Trower tune...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2013, 12:06:52 AM »
Maybe Im on a Guitar hero kick now, but I saw Steve Morse once in a small venue... This guy is another well-respected guitar master...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2013, 12:20:19 AM »
Wow, that Merv Griffin show was interesting... David Grisman played a lot with Jerry Garcia in the 90s, that is how I was exposed to him. So too Bob Wasserman played in Bob Weirs band Ratdog in the 90s...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2013, 12:32:03 AM »
Having explored the Garcia/Grisman alliance, let me post a few Bob Weir/Bob Wasserman vids..

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:42:26 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2013, 02:40:09 AM »
Ari Lesser just posted hist latest Chanukah video...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »
More Rob Wasserman and Bob Weir... 'Easy to Slip' from 1989..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »
From the experimental album 'Infrared Roses' two tracks of the Grateful Dead...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2013, 11:27:16 PM »
Another one from 'Infrared Roses' called 'Silver Apples of the Moon'..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2013, 11:35:48 PM »
Back to Steve Morse, who was a member of the band Deep Purple...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »
THE signature 'Deep Purple' tune is 'Smoke on the Water' of course.... It is hard to explain how this tune is etched in my brain in the form of memories of the summer camp my parents sent my brother and myself, in the morning when the mist was rising off the water of the lake at the camp, and this song came on the radio...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »
I may have posted videos by Warren Hayes band Government Mule before, but he is also a very talented guitar player. I saw him play with the Dead in 2003 (the last show I ever went to)...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2013, 12:08:21 AM »
Just found this interesting video, Warren Hayes of Gov't Mule playing the Robin Trower classic 'Bridge of Sighs' which I posted above...

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2013, 04:23:31 AM »
It's said that music is the closest thing besides Torah to spirituality. After reviewing much of this though, it certainly won't help your spirituality. By inspiring I mean real music that makes the soul feel alive. What do you consider inspiring?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
It's said that music is the closest thing besides Torah to spirituality. After reviewing much of this though, it certainly won't help your spirituality. By inspiring I mean real music that makes the soul feel alive. What do you consider inspiring?

Shalom LKZ,

Of course I have thought about what is inspiring. And it is true, as I mentioned in my 'askmuman613' thread, that music has the spiritual potential similar to Torah. Of course it is important to listen to music which instills reverence for G-d, and respect for man. What is inspiring, in my opinion, is that music makes the soul move. When you feel the melody, or the mood of the music, and it causes you to experience a sense of excitement that there is something more to our lives. Animals have never attained the level of musical complexity as humanity has. We have the ability to feel the beat, the harmony, and the progressions and it causes us to feel an emotion. Each person experiences the music differently, and yet each one must evaluate how it makes them feel.

I just was thinking about this obscure Grateful Dead tune, 'Unbroken Chain' which is sung by Phil Lesh (who didn't sing many songs for the Dead)...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #216 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:10 PM »
From the last of the Deads studio albums (except for concert CD's) the song 'Tons of Steel'...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #217 on: November 26, 2013, 10:00:59 PM »
I suppose I also am inspired by talented musicians who play a popular style with exceptional skill, even leaders of their genre's. I was trying to list the guitar heros I consider in a top 50 list, and Tony Iommi of 'Black Sabbath' is certainly counted among those talented, genre generating guitar players...

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #218 on: November 26, 2013, 10:09:12 PM »
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
Hey Ephraim, that is some hot blues there... Gotta get into some BB King, and stuff...

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2013, 10:14:26 PM »

Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2013, 10:18:03 PM »
Here is Blues, Grateful Dead style...

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #222 on: November 26, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #223 on: November 26, 2013, 10:25:53 PM »
Did you see I posted SRV above?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #224 on: November 26, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »
I saw BB King in the 90s...