Author Topic: The origin of "faggot"  (Read 3672 times)

newman

The origin of "faggot"
« on: July 09, 2007, 03:27:39 AM »
I need some help from the Torah/Bible schollars. Wikipedia doesn't mention the Bible in it's explanation of the origins of this word. Isn't there something in the Bible about 'faggots pulled from the fire'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(epithet)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: The origin of "faggot"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:19:43 PM »
Faggot has a meaning in english that has nothingto do with gay i forgot what it means i'll look on the internet
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »
The entries under "Fag" may be a clue to it's origins.  A fag can mean a cigarette, which may refer to oral sex, or it could mean a male submissive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fag

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »
Faggot has a meaning in english that has nothingto do with gay i forgot what it means i'll look on the internet

a bundle of sticks?  :D

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 01:24:45 PM »
Right now i remember :laugh:
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 01:27:39 PM »
Fagot is the name in many languages of the musical instrument bassoon.
The bassoon is a woodwind instrument in the double reed family that plays in the tenor range and below. It is also called Fagott in German, fagotto in Italian, and basson in French.

In many countries woodwinds are associated with oral sex.
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 01:41:33 PM »
Hey, watch it!!   I played bassoon for years during grade school and have never had the inclination to get punked out by a man.

The thing I never understood is why so many gay men speak with a lisp?  Is there a nerve that men have that's connected to speech, that gets aggravated during gay sex and causes their tongues to malfunction? 

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 01:45:10 PM »
Hey, watch it!!   I played bassoon for years during grade school and have never had the inclination to get punked out by a man.

The thing I never understood is why so many gay men speak with a lisp?  Is there a nerve that men have that's connected to speech, that gets aggravated during gay sex and causes their tongues to malfunction? 

Hey, I watch it!! I said many cultures have it. I did not say woodwinds and homosex is identical, but they make fun about it.
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 01:56:30 PM »
I just never had any idea!  ;D :laugh: ;D 

Oh well, I guess it'll be anytime now before I transform into an effeminate, finger-snapping, flamboyant, "song and dance" man.

ftf

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 04:33:55 PM »
Fags means "For all good soldiers" it was printed on the side of cigarette tins issued to soldiers in the first world war. Hence it coming to mean cigarettes, the jump to homosexuality, I don't know how it happened.

Offline IntrepidLengenD

• New JTFer
  • "Love and pain beating one in the Same_"
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 06:09:29 PM »
What a charming Post... It reeks of DREK !  :laugh:
"For you they call...their eager faces turning"

Offline Alexander

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 04:14:23 AM »
faggot 
1279, "bundle of twigs bound up," from O.Fr. fagot "bundle of sticks," from It. faggotto, dim. of V.L. *facus, from L. fascis "bundle of wood" (see fasces). Esp. used for burning heretics (a sense attested from 1555), so that phrase fire and faggot was used to mean "punishment of a heretic." Heretics who recanted were required to wear an embroidered figure of a faggot on their sleeve, as an emblem and reminder of what they deserved.

from www.etymonline.com