Author Topic: Smelly French family? Surely not!!  (Read 825 times)

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
Smelly French family? Surely not!!
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
Smelly French family 'ordered to leave Musee d'Orsay'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/9834828/Smelly-French-family-ordered-to-leave-Musee-dOrsay.html

Surely not!!! For example..... Paris..... such a clean odor free city! And the people are all of impeccable personal hygiene, friendly, and courteous!!  :laugh:  :::D  :laugh:

I have a friend that ran out of deodorant in France...... tried to find some at the local market....... they didn't even know what it was..... and treated her as if she was an idiot for wanting something so absurd!

In all of France she could not find any..... England had none as well..... had to go deodorant free till she got home to the US.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Smelly French family? Surely not!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:37 PM »
Don't they call it 'Toilet water'?
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:50:10 AM »
Eau de toilette

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:19:50 AM »
I wonder who these "decent" and "properly dressed" so called "french family" are?
And what the hell is "hard-up"? Is that turd-speak for rape?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »
I thought Eau de Toillete was perfume or cologne.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »

Think he meant pew de toilette
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
It is a grade of diluted perfume. But I think it literally means toilet water.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »
It is a grade of diluted perfume. But I think it literally means toilet water.

I don't speak french but usually when I think of toilet in terms of cosmetics I think of it in terms of "toiletries" like grooming accessories. You know, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, etc. and not literally the toilet you put solid and liquid waste into.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:04:06 AM »
I don't speak french but usually when I think of toilet in terms of cosmetics I think of it in terms of "toiletries" like grooming accessories. You know, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, etc. and not literally the toilet you put solid and liquid waste into.
Yes of course. That's due to the evolution of languages, and technology:

Toilet

The word toilet came to be used in English along with other French fashions. It originally referred to the toile, French for "cloth", draped over a lady or gentleman's shoulders while their hair was being dressed, and then (in both French and English) by extension to the various elements, and also the whole complex of operations of hairdressing and body care that centered at a dressing table, also covered by a cloth, on which stood a mirror and various brushes and containers for powder and make-up: this ensemble was also a toilette, as also was the period spent at the table, during which close friends or tradesmen were often received.[34] The English poet Alexander Pope in The Rape of the Lock (1717) described the intricacies of a lady's preparation:

“    And now, unveil'd, the toilet stands display'd

Each silver vase in mystic order laid.
   ”

These various senses are first recorded by the OED in rapid sequence in the later 17th century: the set of "articles required or used in dressing" 1662, the "action or process of dressing" 1681, the cloth on the table 1682, the cloth round the shoulders 1684, the table itself 1695, and the "reception of visitors by a lady during the concluding stages of her toilet" 1703 (also known as a "toilet-call"), but in the sense of a special room the earliest use is 1819, and this does not seem to include a lavatory.[35]

Through the 18th century, everywhere in the English-speaking world, these various uses centred around a lady's draped dressing-table remained dominant. In the 19th century, apparently first in the United States,[36] the word was adapted as a genteel euphemism for the room and the object as we know them now, perhaps following the French usage cabinet de toilette, much as powder-room may be coyly used today, and this has been linked to the introduction of public toilets, for example on railway trains, which required a plaque on the door. The original usages have become obsolete, and the table has become a dressing-table.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet#Etymology_of_Toilet.2C_and_alternative_names

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »

Yeah it's perfume  ;D
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''