Author Topic: What Do You think of this possible solution concerning Charedi Civil Service?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
What if one Charedim was able to bring ten Jews back to Torah and Israel?
Great, but there are no guarantees. It's a very big risk.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Lisa,

Joshua and King David were prophets of Hashem. Please tell me you realize that Bibi Netanyahu and his left-wing coalition are nowhere near the great men that Joshua and David Melech Yisrael were...

If the nation were led by the righteous redeemer, the Moshiach/Annointed One of Israel, I am sure that the Charedim would gladly join in the battle against Amalek and all the other nations which Hashem commands us to fight. But for the time being, most of these people do not believe that the secular Israeli leadership has an iota of Jewish soul(Torah And Mitzvot)  in it...

Muman, I'm not comparing the current Israeli regime to Joshua and Moses.  On the other hand, I should think religious Jews, Haredi or otherwise, would want to emulate Moshe Rabeinu and Joshua.  Where did this idea come from that good religious Jews are only supposed to study the Torah and Talmud and not fight in the army or work? 

Now I agree that the current regime in Israel is evil.  But I'm having a hard time believing that if there was a religious government, that the Haredis would join in the army.  (I know I'll most likely get criticized for this.)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Muman, I'm not comparing the current Israeli regime to Joshua and Moses.  On the other hand, I should think religious Jews, Haredi or otherwise, would want to emulate Moshe Rabeinu and Joshua.  Where did this idea come from that good religious Jews are only supposed to study the Torah and Talmud and not fight in the army or work? 

Now I agree that the current regime in Israel is evil.  But I'm having a hard time believing that if there was a religious government, that the Haredis would join in the army.  (I know I'll most likely get criticized for this.)
Again, their view on work and army is not how we see it. It's the opposite. In their eyes, work and army are how we (outsiders) view learning all day. Learning Torah, in their eyes, is the most important thing for survival; for us, on the other hand, we can't survive without working. Different mindset. It's pointless to try and understand that life. It's the same thing as trying to understand what came before Bereishit, what will happen after we are gone, G-d's reasons for doing things, and whether or not G-d could build a tower so high that he can't reach.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
I agree... People that spend the entire day doing religious observance should be official clergy that get room and board from whatever religious organization the become affiliated with... Where do people like this now get their money from? If they are a bit tired one day do they sleep in and get up when they are good and ready to face the day? It sort of sounds like a real good racket... Granted many of the people like this are very religious and highly motivated to do what they see as G-ds work however I am almost sure an equal number see it as an excuse to hang around all day and avoid getting real employment... Honestly seeing people hanging around all day while I would be hard at work would wear very thin on my nerves after a while... The least young people like this could do is serve their country in one capacity or another for the required time that everyone else is required to do.

They are checked. If they miss even by a few minutes they and the whole Yeshiva is severely penalized. No one (unless they are completely independently sponsored or have some other source of income) just "hangs out". 
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member

Its a complicated issue. Rav Kahane writes about it as well. Their are situations where even a king (and a good one) cannot force a Jew to do anything including join in on the fighting. The reasoning is that we follow the King of all Kings over someone who is just a slave (even if he is a King here) in comparison to G-D). On the other hand real fighting and value of work is great and praiseworthy. It all depends on the individual. Some individuals are cut out for Limud Torah, others of work (and still some study as well) etc.

Also some of these intifadas have been inspired because of the non-religious. The Arabs are by no means innocent or anything, but they did and do draw their strength from the fact that their are non-religious Jews. For example a Jew (guard at a prision) disregarding the laws of Pessah and eating Chametz inspired one of the intifadas.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Good to see you back, Tag! :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Shalom Tag... Good to see your back...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Welcome back jerk!  :)
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Welcome back jerk!  :)

Huh? You have been harassing me to come back now you say this?

Yea I cooled down for a few days.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
They are checked. If they miss even by a few minutes they and the whole Yeshiva is severely penalized. No one (unless they are completely independently sponsored or have some other source of income) just "hangs out".
Sure they do. Even the ones who don't exist except on fake registers.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member

Huh? You have been harassing me to come back now you say this?

Yea I cooled down for a few days.
I was teasing, I'm glad you're back. Did you like all the messages?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
Because the Joshuaic/Davidic IDF was not a kapo Nazi SS force...
Excellent point!
Hayot Araviot Masrihot