Author Topic: On clothing, "peyos" and language.  (Read 24540 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: On clothing, "peyos" and language.
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
PS, on a completely unrelated thought...

Today I met my new next-door neighbor. It turns out the fence on the side of my house has fallen (I was not aware of it until today). I saw a man in my backyard and I wanted to find out what was going on. As I approached I saw a Chinese man digging ditches where my fence used to stand. Although he didn't speak English very well I asked him what happened. He said the fence fell and he was going to re-erect it (he was digging the ditches for the poles to hold the fence)...

But then he asked me my name, which I told him, and he said his name was 'Soloman' and he smiled at me. I believe he was able to determine I was a Jew by my peyot, and my head-covering (I was wearing my baseball-cap at the time). Even the Chinese know to identify a man wearing peyot as a Jew...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14