Author Topic: Song: Kosovo is Serbia!  (Read 5961 times)

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
Song: Kosovo is Serbia!
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
Can someone tell me what they excectly singing? Lady 10 maybe?

''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Draughts

• Senior JTFer
Re: Song: Kosovo is Serbia!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
It is a powerful patriotic song about Kosovo. There are many elements incorporated into this song from our history so I will try "briefly" to explain it-

Kosovo je srce Srbije!

Sa Kosova zora sviće, sviće, sviće novi dan
Gračanica sva u sjaju dočekuje Vidovdan
Oj Kosovo, Kosovo zemljo moja voljena
Zemljo slavnih vitezova Lazara i Miloša

Sve delije od Srbije, svako srce ponosno
Voli i ljubi zemlju svoju Gazimestan Kosovo

Srbadija kliče cela "Ne damo te Kosovo"
To je naše uvek bilo od dedova ostalo

Gračanica (a town and municipality in central Kosovo centered around the Gračanica monastery) welcomes Vidovdan (a religious holiday), in all it's glory. Vidovdan is on June 28 and Serbian Orthodox Church is designated as a memorial day to Saint Prince Lazar and the Serbian holy martyrs who gave their lives to defend their faith during the epic Battle of Kosovo against Ottoman Empire on the same date - June 28, 1389. It is a Slava (Patron saint feast day) of St. Vitus, connected in our culture to the Battle of Kosovo.

"The feast day is sacred to ethnic Serbs (Serbian Orthodox Christians), who transformed the pagan Slavic god (deity) of war, fertility and abundance "Svetovid" (Vid) into the Sicilian martyr (St. Vitus) - who exorcised the evil out of Diocletian's son, at the time of the final Christianization of the Serbs during the rule of Basil I (867–886) by Byzantine missionaries of Constantinople Cyril and Methodius. Through the centuries, Serbian historical events such as the Battle of Kosovo became sources for spiritual strength and patriotism"

Vidovdan is an important date for Serbs:

on June 28, 1389, the filthy Ottoman Empire fought against Serbia in the Battle of Kosovo, and Serbian Prince Lazar was slain in battle. Ottoman Sultan Murad I was killed by the Serbian knight Miloš Obilić.

Gazimestan is a monument commemorating the historical Battle of Kosovo, situated about 6-7 kilometres north-northeast of the actual battlefield, known as Kosovo Field.

Inscribed on the monument is the "Kosovo curse" attributed to Prince Lazar:

"Whoever is a Serb and of Serb birth
And of Serb blood and heritage
And comes not to the Battle of Kosovo,
May he never have the progeny his heart desires!
Neither son nor daughter
May nothing grow that his hand sows!
Neither dark wine nor white wheat
And let him be cursed from all ages to all ages!"

Tsar lazar, considered as our strongest ruler, curses those who are not taking up arms against the Ottoman Turks at the Battle of Kosovo.
It is been said that Lazar was the last hope against the expanding Ottomans. He was our ruler and he created the largest and most powerful state on the territory of the disintegrated Serbian Empire.  He ruled it from 1373 until his death in 1389. In the Battle of Kosovo Lazar led the army which confronted a massive invading army of the Ottoman Empire commanded by Sultan Murad I. Both Prince Lazar and Sultan Murad lost their lives in the battle.

In the song it is sang that Kosovo has always been a Serbian land, since our grandfathers, and the land of our glorious rulers "Knights Lazar and Miloš" ("vitezova Lazara i Miloša")

The song has a powerful meaning and a lot more to it than I wrote here in raw, because to understand it fully you have to understand and be introduced with our rich history. Great song you chose to post here SuperMentalita. I also have a great respect for Ivana Žigon, a true partiot which sings about our land and Ivana is a higly spiritaual woman. And she is a strong woman who survived cancer too.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:09:38 AM »
Thank you for the great information. We in Holland had a few 'Kosovo is Serbia' demonstrations a few years ago, and i joined a few of them. I love this song, even i don't understand what they singing, but i have a bit of an idea now where it's about.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline crnitrn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
rough translation:

Hey Kosovo, Kosovo

From Kosovo dawn dawns, dawning, a new day is dawning
Gračanica all the splendor awaits Vidovdan
Hey Kosovo, Kosovo  my beloved country
Land of glorious knights Lazar and Miloš

All the heroes of Serbia, every proud heart
Loves his land Gazimestan - Kosovo
Hey Kosovo, Kosovo my beloved country

Whole Serbdom exclaims "We will not give up of you Kosovo"
It has always been ours from our grandfathers remain

Offline Draughts

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
rough translation:

Hey Kosovo, Kosovo

From Kosovo dawn dawns, dawning, a new day is dawning
Gračanica all the splendor awaits Vidovdan
Hey Kosovo, Kosovo  my beloved country

All the heroes of Serbia, every proud heart
Loves his land Gazimestan - Kosovo

Whole Serbdom exclaims "We will not give up of you Kosovo"
It has always been ours from our grandfathers remain

I wanted to post that rough version too but I couldn't tell if it would be precise enough for readers to understand the deep meaning of the song and it's soul, but reading it now, it's not that bad at all.

Offline Draughts

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
Slažem se.