Author Topic: A question about circumcision of a baby newborn  (Read 703 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
A question about circumcision of a baby newborn
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
in light of the recent tragedy of the Satmar family's car accident, I read that the baby boy born prematurely, but later passed away, was going to have a circumcision then buried with the parents. 

May none of us ever experience such a tragedy, but I was wondering how this is possible and why it can be done.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: A question about circumcision of a baby newborn
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »
If he survived, would it be permisible to name him after his father?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:19:55 AM »
If he survived, would it be permisible to name him after his father?
Yes it would have & I know of such case Rabbi Mendel Futerfas,A"H (HaRav Menachem Mendel Ben Menachem Mendel) born in Russia & later was a mashpia in Kfar Chabad Israel.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:37:54 AM »
Sfaradim name after living grandparents but not after living parents. The only Jews I've seen named after parents are self-hating Jews who call themselves _____ Jr..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:55:11 AM »
Sfaradim name after living grandparents but not after living parents. The only Jews I've seen named after parents are self-hating Jews who call themselves _____ Jr..

But if the child lived and the father and mother died, there would be no issue with naming him with the same name as the parents.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:30:29 AM »
Ok, but what about the posthumous circumcision? I know that in the commandments, a man who is not circumcised would pretty much be excluded from the community until he would have a circumcision. But how does this apply to the baby that passed away?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:33:59 AM »
Ok, but what about the posthumous circumcision? I know that in the commandments, a man who is not circumcised would pretty much be excluded from the community until he would have a circumcision. But how does this apply to the baby that passed away?

Does the dead baby get a name? They probably don't wait to the 8th day to do the brit followed by burial though.