Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Tzav  (Read 3097 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Video Study for Parsha Tzav
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:48:30 AM »
Shalom JTF Fans,

Once again I am posting the weekly portion's in video thread a little late. I hope to be able some time soon to share the experience I have been going through which has been challenging me on many levels, but I am not through it yet and I would rather not have any ayin hara involved.

Anyway, this week is Shabbat HaGedolah or The Great Shabbat. It is so called because it is the Shabbat before the Chag of Pesach. This year it falls on Parasha Tzav. This portion continues along the lines of last weeks, where we are informed of the duties of the Kohen in the service of the Tabernacle (Mishkan).

From the Chabad Parsha in a Nutshell:

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/2858/jewish/Tzav-in-a-Nutshell.htm

G‑d instructs Moses to command Aaron and his sons regarding their duties and rights as kohanim (“priests”) who offer the korbanot (animal and meal offerings) in the Sanctuary.

The fire on the Altar must be kept burning at all times. In it are burned the wholly consumed ascending offering; veins of fat from the peace, sin and guilt offerings; and the “handful” separated from the meal offering.

The kohanim eat the meat of the sin and guilt offerings, and the remainder of the meal offering. The peace offering is eaten by the one who brought it, except for specified portions given to the kohen. The holy meat of the offerings must be eaten by ritually pure persons, in their designated holy place and within their specified time.

Aaron and his sons remain within the Sanctuary compound for seven days, during which Moses initiates them into the priesthood.

Let us start this week with Rabbi Nagin from Otniel in Jerusalem:

A short Shmuz from Rabbi Shafier:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Tzav
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:03:54 AM »
HaRav Yitzak Ginsburg gives his Kabbalistic insights into this sidrah:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:16:38 AM »
Rabbi Weisblum...

And Rabbi Odze:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:34:06 AM »
Rabbi Trugman gives a short (for him) talk about the portion:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:46:48 AM »
Rabbi Trugmans discussion of 'Aish Tamid' reminded me of Matisyahu's classic...

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »
Shalom JTF Fans,

Once again I am posting the weekly portion's in video thread a little late. I hope to be able some time soon to share the experience I have been going through which has been challenging me on many levels, but I am not through it yet and I would rather not have any ayin hara involved.
:o Have mercy you should not have even mentioned the remote possibility of the so called evil eye... Now you will need one of these.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornicello
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »
HaRav Yitzak Ginsburg gives his Kabbalistic insights into this sidrah:

I love him.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »
cjd,

I have not had many experiences with Ayin Hara (evil eye) in the past. Even though my lifestyle is above average (I have nice things) which ordinarily would cause people to have ayin hara I usually get compliments for the nice things I have (including my car {which is the issue I am currently having a 'problem' with})...

Regarding 'amulets', which I don't put my trust in although I do carry one with me when I am on the 'road', I do carry a Hamsa on my key-chain which according to some is an 'antidote' for ayin hara...

Mine is similar to this one (with the Travelers Prayer (Tefilla HaDerech) on the back):

http://www.aish.com/atr/Hamsa.html
Hamsa

I received a gift from an Israeli friend. It is a beautiful mosaic Hamsa, or Miriam's Hand. I am interested in the Hebrew prayer that appears on the back of it. I am wondering if there is an English or transliterated version available. Some say having a Hamsa in the house gives good luck, while others say it is a protection against the evil eye. Can you tell me more about this?

The Aish Rabbi Replies:

"Hamsa" is the Arabic word for five. It is customary for Arabs and Jews from the Middle East to raise their hand (five fingers) for good luck and against (Ayin Hara) an evil eye. In Exodus 17:11, we see that when Moses raised his hand, the Jews were successful in battle against Amalek. Conceivably, this is where it originated.

Some have the Hamsa fingers drawn and filled in with Kabbalistic words. This is considered a "Kamaya" (amulet) which is a sort of prayer for good luck. (Code of Jewish Law - Y.D. 179:12)

There is no set text to what prayer is placed on back of the "hand," but usually it is a blessing for peace in the house, or for a successful business. Although your text may be different, here is a sample of what the blessing may say:

"Let this house be a beautiful, peaceful abode. Let tranquility, unity, blessings and success abundantly fill each room, with help from the Heavens above. Let there be raised a righteous generation under the shade of this roof, who will fill this house with the sound of Torah. And let the Divine Presence exist in every corner."

Here's wishing you that all these words are fulfilled!

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/379130/jewish/Text-of-the-Travelers-Prayer.htm

Tefilla HaDerech (Travelers Prayer)

May it be Your will, G-d, our G-d and the G-d of our fathers, that You should lead us in peace and direct our steps in peace, and guide us in peace, and support us in peace, and cause us to reach our destination in life, joy, and peace (If one intends to return immediately, one adds: and return us in peace). Save us from every enemy and ambush, from robbers and wild beasts on the trip, and from all kinds of punishments that rage and come to the world. May You confer blessing upon the work of our hands and grant me grace, kindness, and mercy in Your eyes and in the eyes of all who see us, and bestow upon us abundant kindness and hearken to the voice of our prayer, for You hear the prayers of all. Blessed are You G-d, who hearkens to prayer.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
Here is a discussion of what Judaism believes (according to this understanding) the Ayin Hara really is (rather than just superstition)...

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/340/Q1/

Dear Rabbi,
After recently saying "bli ayin hara" ("without an evil eye"), I was wondering, "What is an ayin hara?

Dear Sue,

The belief in ayin hara ("evil eye") is not a superstition but is well-founded on references from the earliest Jewish texts. Sarah "gives" Hagar an ayin hara, causing her to miscarry her first pregnancy. Yaakov warns his sons not to be seen together so as not to incur ayin hara. Another example is King Saul's jealousy of the future King David who is credited with greater military prowess and "gives" him an ayin hara.

The Talmud quotes Rabbi Yochanan as saying "I am a descendant of Yosef over whom ayin hara had no control." The Talmud also says that fish represent a form of life that is free of the influence of ayin hara. Ayin hara also has halachic ramifications. The Talmud states that it is forbidden to stand in a neighbor's field when the crops are fully grown. Rashi explains that this is because of ayin hara.

Rabbi Eliyahu Dessler in a letter to his father asked "Where is the justice in a system that causes people to suffer for the jealousies of others?" Rabbi Dessler answered that what happens is the following: One person who has what another person lacks is "careless" and lets the other person see what he has. This causes pain to the other person, and his cry goes up to the Heavenly court. The lesson in all this is that we must learn to be sensitive to others, and not flaunt what we have. Many people yearn to have what others have, and suffer real pain when they see others casually flaunt those things. True, they shouldn't be jealous, but we cannot expect everyone to be a tzaddik righteous person. Divine justice demands retribution for causing this pain to another person.

You mention that you say "bli ayin hara" (literally: "without the evil eye"). In Yiddish it is rendered as "ken ayin hara." We say this as a prayer to Hashem, so that if there are any silent cries going up to the Heavenly court, He will not listen to them, and He will protect us from any harm. There are other ayin hara "antidotes" such as tying red strings around one's wrist, and the Hamsa ("Five-Fingers") symbol. Be careful not to use any remedy or prevention unless it is commonly used by Jews, since some practices are forms of witchcraft. The best protection is to behave modestly and with a genuine concern for the feelings of others.

Sources:
Bereishet 16:5, Rashi
Bereishet 42:5, Rashi
Shmuel 1,18:9
Tractate Berachot 20a
Tractate Bava Batra 141a, 2b
Rabbi Eliyahu Dessler in Michtav M'Eliyahu, vol. 3, pp.313-314; vol. 4, pp5-6

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 04:41:30 PM »
Talmudic references to the 'ayin hara' from webshas...

http://www.webshas.org/science/misc/super/ayinhara.htm

Evil Eye of Jealousy - Ayin haRa

Those who cause an Evil Eye
Evil eye of Torah Scholars: Moed Katan 17b, Chagigah 5b; Nedarim 7b; Bava Metzia 59b

Acts which cause an Evil Eye
Leaving a Discovered Object out with guests present: Pesachim 26b, Bava Metzia 30a
Involvement in business with Reeds and Barrels, which are visible and seem to be plentiful, causing jealousy: Pesachim 50b
Merchants in the market, due to their visibility, cause jealousy: Pesachim 50b
Those who raise weaker breeds of animals [which feed off other people's property, causing jealousy]: Pesachim 50b
Those who make money off chopping down beautiful trees: Pesachim 50b
Those who consistently take the finer portion when splitting an item: Pesachim 50b
Acquiring wealth without effort, causing jealousy: Eruvin 64a-b
Putting one's beauty on display: Berachot 20a

Cases
Evil Eye caused Rava to Suffer at the hands of Shevor Malka, despite his payments to the governmentt: Chagigah 5a-b
Evil Eye causing Death of Rav Pappa's parents: Yevamot 106a
Evil eye of R' Eliezer causing the destruction of the world: Bava Metzia 59b
Damaging another person's growing plants by looking at them: Bava Batra 2b

Evil Eye immunity
Fish: Berachot 20a
Rabbi Yochanan: Berachot 20a
Descendants of Joseph: Berachot 20a
One who refuses to benefit from that which belongs to others: Berachot 20a

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
Alright, cramming the Torah portion erev Shabbat!