Author Topic: Computer help please  (Read 4240 times)

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Computer help please
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »
I hate Windows 8!  For all the reasons Shlomo noted.  I had to start over and get rid of the Microsoft account.  Otherwise, It felt too invasive. Super frustrating to use.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 01:43:04 AM »
I use Symantec endpoint protection. used to be norton.
But I do not recommend their products on slower systems such as anything less than a quad core like intel core2 quad series.
It does not run well on any netbooks or any atom based pc.

One thing I notice about geniuses like muman is that they often don't know basic things.
I've seen his impressive resume. He's great with embedded devices, kernel hacking, programming. But doesn't know about cheap routers.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:48:56 AM by angryChineseKahanist »
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 03:06:39 AM »
I use Symantec endpoint protection. used to be norton.
But I do not recommend their products on slower systems such as anything less than a quad core like intel core2 quad series.
It does not run well on any netbooks or any atom based pc.

One thing I notice about geniuses like muman is that they often don't know basic things.
I've seen his impressive resume. He's great with embedded devices, kernel hacking, programming. But doesn't know about cheap routers.

Huh? I know more about routers than most do, as I have written entire networks stacks (including the low-level device drivers and file system drivers).

I still do not see that any routers have iptables type of firewalls built in. I am using a WRT54G 
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series router and it does not have any firewall capability.

I don't know why the issue of the firewall is even relevant to this discussion. As I said before, most people infect their computers in a way which a firewall doesn't protect from.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 03:11:07 AM »
Is it possible to get infected from just browsing a website, without actively downloading or installing anything ?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 03:15:45 AM »
Is it possible to get infected from just browsing a website, without actively downloading or installing anything ?

There have been infections which were spread by images which contain malware, and unpatched systems which could be exploited by these images... Most of the time I do not worry, but it is best to make sure that you have the latest patches to the browser, and all image libraries used by the browser...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 03:17:05 AM »
Just for reference, I found a mention of the project I worked on 20 years ago... I was a principle engineer of Amiga Client Software for Novell Netware published by Oxxi, Inc...

http://archive.org/stream/amiga-world-1992-02/Amiga_World_Vol_08_02_1992_Feb_djvu.txt

Get the Connection

Let your Amiga step right up and con-
nect to any standard Novell NetWare
network as a workstation or client with
Oxxi's Amiga Client Software. Now you

can enjoy the best of both worlds — full-
range Novell NetWare functions, along
with the Amiga's multitasking, graphic
environment.

Amiga Client Software comes with two
utilities. AmigaBack lets you back up and
restore server-based data without leaving
the Amiga workstation. NetMessage lets
you send messages and attached files to
those tied into the same network or,
when these networks are tied via gate-
ways, to people outside it. To run Amiga
Client Software, you will need a LAN
ARCNet or Ethernet card (one for each
workstation, one for server), cabling, and
IBM-PC-compatible servers running
Novell NetWare version 2.15 or higher.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 03:31:08 AM »
I do see that the latest spec for the WRT54G wireless router lists 'stateful packet analysis firewall'. It seems that is a newer feature which will require a firmware upgrade for my router.

PS: I seem to have the WRT54GL which is the 'hackable' version but it lacks the firewall by default.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2013, 08:40:32 AM »
OK okokokok you know about routers.
 ;D
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »
Can I pay one of you to help me?  I dont know anything about what any of you are talking about.