Author Topic: The Myth of Mental Illness  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
The Myth of Mental Illness
« on: May 07, 2013, 01:47:43 AM »
This seems like what Chaim says. He says most psychiatrists and psychologists themselves are nuts.

http://www.jidaily.com/cefd0

Jewish psychiatrist Thomas Szasz denounced his field as "a threat to civil liberties" and stated that "Freud and the psychoanalysts" had replaced "the totalitarian leader and his apologists." Holly Case, Aeon. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: The Myth of Mental Illness
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 02:26:34 AM »
I don't know what this is about, but I will say that I do know that there is such a thing as 'mental illness' and it can be debilitating and affect families.

It is a physical condition which usually results from certain chemicals being out of balance in the brain, and it can manifest through paranoid thoughts and depression.

I do believe that many today are diagnosed incorrectly for a variety of so-called mental illnesses. But the fact is that there are cases of psychosis, manic depression, schizophrenia, and paranoid delusions.

I suspect that there are now many 'phobias' and other mental issues which are abused by the pharmaceutical companies. I do believe that these drug companies are making big money through over-prescribing medications.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:51:13 AM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                            :fist:

Although it's a serious enough issue, to those that believe that mental ilness is a myth or contend that it doesn't exist would have to be mentally ill!
                                                                         :o                :laugh:

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:16:32 AM »
I think there's some mental illness that people will say they have but its total BS like Bipolar (which not saying all cases are BS) to get social security and live off the government kind of like parents who buy their four year old ADD pills so they don't have to take care of them

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:22:46 AM »
Homosexuality is a mental illness
Pro Islam non Muslims are a mental illness
Anti Israel Jews are a mental illness
Wiggers are a mental illness
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »

Well, besides those, there are mental illnesses.
I know people who have mental illnesses.
Certain types run in families.
I know someone's family where many of the females are bi-polar and its not funny. As soon as they're off their medicine they are impossible to deal with.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »

Maybe Islam is a mental parasitic virus, it spreads like a virus.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »

IZ, though, do you believe there are real mental illnesses?  Nowadays, there are many studies of the brain, not funded by the pharmaceutical industry that clearly show differences in brain structures between those who have specific mental illnesses and those who dont

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:33 PM »
I agree with this doctor regarding the abuse of the insanity defense on behalf of criminals.

However mental illness does exist.  After all, how would you describe survivors of childhood sexual abuse who carry the trauma with them long after being violated?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »
Denying mental illness exists sounds like something a "scientologist" would believe. I do think certain mental illnesses are over-diagnosed (a kid's bored by school, slap em with ADHD label) but there are definitely people who need help. As far as therapists/psychologists/psychiatrists go, though, people should be careful about picking the right one. 

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
This seems like what Chaim says. He says most psychiatrists and psychologists themselves are nuts.

http://www.jidaily.com/cefd0

Jewish psychiatrist Thomas Szasz denounced his field as "a threat to civil liberties" and stated that "Freud and the psychoanalysts" had replaced "the totalitarian leader and his apologists." Holly Case, Aeon.

There certainly is such a thing as mental illness, but I do agree that many of the psychiatrists and psychologists themselves need psychiatrists and psychologists, and many of them are even more messed up than the patients.   It's funny that Chaim said that because I've heard this said by a number of people who have dealt with these professionals.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »
Freud himself was not a real psychiatrist. He had sick fantasies and allusions such as the "Oedipus Complex". He was just a self-hating Jew like Marx. The root pysch is related to the word soul (In Hebrew mental health is called Briut HaNefesh.). If Freud didn't believe in G-d or the existence of souls, he could not be a real psychiatrist.

Also, we have seen posts on the forum about "psychologists" talking about "gender identity disorder". But, instead of treating it, they give in to the patients sickness. I've seen websites about treating homosexuality. People with "gender identity disorder" should be treated the same. I've seen Wikipedia articles listing all types of "sexual disorders". Some are just fetishes with attraction towards the opposite sex. But they took away homosexualism from the list. If they believe in promoting sex changes, why do they list "gender identity disorder" if they don't promote healing it?

JONAH, Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing

http://www.jonahweb.org

We've also seen posts here about people with a disorder where they want to remove a limb. Rather than treating it, they hurt themselves so it has to be amputated to save their physical lives. I wonder what psychologists say about that.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:07:34 PM by Binyamin Yisrael »

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 01:14:52 AM »
There are various perspectives on the subject. One is the spiritual side of what mental illness is. From the purpose of developmental problems to behavioral imbalances.
The scientific side is very real. From here you get even more perspectives. Everything in science are "theories", experiments, empirical evidence. When I was studying Psychology in college and I got into the serious classes about experimental psychology, we had a saying "Correlation does not imply causation".  So when we are talking about the various mental illness as described in the DSM-IV, many things are "theories" based on studies.
There are various groups within the mental health community. From Psychologists to Psychiatrists. To the "anti-Psychiatric movement" (which I favor) to deinstitutionalization.

Here is my personal belief (and personal experiences). There are people born with a genetic predisposition to mental illnesses. Not all will develop them. Some people are more resilient than others. Some may experience stressors in life which will cause those mental illnesses to be developed. (stressors vary from trauma, a severe life changing event or events, drugs, alcohol, poor living situation, stressful home while children, abuse etc).

The point is what to do when there is a mental illness. Some people will avoid therapy at all costs and may opt to feed the pharmaceutical industry by taking medicine. I strongly disagree with this unless one has a serious mental condition that requires medication (like psychosis, bipolarity, severe depression and only temporary meds and schizophrenia).
There are MANY mental disorders than can be successfully treated with therapy ALONE! The problem is that there is too much "stigma" at getting therapy. And it is costly- plus medical insurances discriminate against people who have gone to therapy.
Ultimately, you have people who just do NOT want to face their troubles. But anything from anxiety to compulsions to depression to phobias etc... can be effective "cured" or completely controlled by seeing a psychologist .
Even the illnesses that require medication (like psychosis) benefit greatly by taking medication along with therapy.

But how can anyone ever look at a person with schizophrenia and ever think that mental illness is fake?? I would dare such a person to willingly spend a day in a room with 5 schizophrenia patients (who suffer from all spectrums of schizophrenia disorders) and  come out believing that mental illness is a myth.

Anyways, the only thing I can say about therapy and psychologists. The problem (apart from the costs and stigma) is that one may meet doctors who are in it for the money. Especially with psychiatrists who rather than help just prescribe medication. It has become a BIG business, which is why I understand that some people may make claims like "mental illness is a myth". Because our society has turned it into a myth. A "take 5 of these pills and come to therapy 2 days a week for the next 30 years). This is why people get the wrong idea. Also, MANY mental health workers are very anti-conservative and extremely liberal. Which is another problem.

One last thing about medication. If you do NOT have a severe illness there is no need to rely on pills. I am not talking about the psychoactive disorders or bipolarity etc. I am talking about people who deal with anxiety or depression. Taking pills is just MASKING the real issue. It is as if you have a big unhealing wound and you just keep putting a band-aid on it. Not only are you damaging your body by taking these pills and spending money on them. You are ignoring the real problem! Pills are a fake "cure". Unless one works their issues out in a confidential non-judgmental setting, one will NEVER get rid of mental illness. But it takes the first step of wanting to help oneself. I get sad at seeing people with depression (for example) ignore their real underlying issues and just opt for a happy pill 3 times a day. I have been there and conquered it in therapy (which I had to take as a psychology student, but helped me on a personal note).

There is a Psychologist-Rabbi who speaks more on the matter of Mental Health in Judaism.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 01:24:42 AM »
Kol HaKavod IsraeliHeart...

Rabbi Twersky is a genius in his field. He has helped many people with his approach to the issues.

I too have learned about mental illness through encounters I have had with various people in my life. I will not disclose who it is because now they have done an excellent job at addressing their issues and there is no need to embarass them, and some of them read JTF anonymously.

But depression and paranoid delusions do happen to a wide variety of people, not just poor and dumb, but also the well-to-do and the intelligent.

I agree fully with IsraeliHearts approach to the issue. Medication is only required in the most extreme cases, but through confronting the issues which cripple the psyche and the mind, it is possible to overcome even trauma from youth.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 02:00:37 AM »
Thanks so much, Muman. I agree on what you said about rabbi Twersky, he is a genius in the field. Ever checked out his website? http://www.abrahamtwerski.com/index.php/writings/essays

Great site! 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 02:27:05 AM »
Thanks so much, Muman. I agree on what you said about rabbi Twersky, he is a genius in the field. Ever checked out his website? http://www.abrahamtwerski.com/index.php/writings/essays

Great site!

Thanks for that site... But I am familiar with him from his association with Aish.com...

http://www.aish.com/authors/48866637.html

About the Author
Dr. Abraham J Twerski

Dr. Abraham Twerski is a psychiatrist and founder of Gateway Rehabilitation Center in Pittsburgh, one of America’s leading facilities for addiction treatment. He is the author of more than 60 books, and lectures extensively on the topics of chemical dependency, stress, self-esteem and spirituality. For 20 years, he served as clinical director of the Department of Psychiatry at St. Francis Hospital in Pittsburgh, and was associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Medicine. Dr. Twerski is an ordained rabbi, and traces his ancestry to the Baal Shem Tov, founder of the Chassidic movement. Visit him online at www.abrahamtwerski.com, and his 12-step self-esteem program at www.12steps2selfesteem.com.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 06:16:20 AM »
Looking in to the history, it can be seen that almost all of the so-called mental illnesses have been born only after the birth of muslam.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 08:07:29 AM »
If they believe in promoting sex changes, why do they list "gender identity disorder" if they don't promote healing it?

I asked about this back when I was in an atheist-dominated chat room and the answer I was given, was that they believe they are healing the disorder by bringing the body into alignment with the gender identity. They refuse to do any research on how to bring the mind into alignment with the body that's already there. I think that's evil because it's just a left wing false compassionate way of sterilizing these people. If they care so much for them and want to help them then why are they encouraging them to be sterile?

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
Freud himself was not a real psychiatrist. He had sick fantasies and allusions such as the "Oedipus Complex". He was just a self-hating Jew like Marx. The root pysch is related to the word soul (In Hebrew mental health is called Briut HaNefesh.). If Freud didn't believe in G-d or the existence of souls, he could not be a real psychiatrist.

Also, we have seen posts on the forum about "psychologists" talking about "gender identity disorder". But, instead of treating it, they give in to the patients sickness. I've seen websites about treating homosexuality. People with "gender identity disorder" should be treated the same. I've seen Wikipedia articles listing all types of "sexual disorders". Some are just fetishes with attraction towards the opposite sex. But they took away homosexualism from the list. If they believe in promoting sex changes, why do they list "gender identity disorder" if they don't promote healing it?

JONAH, Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing

http://www.jonahweb.org

We've also seen posts here about people with a disorder where they want to remove a limb. Rather than treating it, they hurt themselves so it has to be amputated to save their physical lives. I wonder what psychologists say about that.

Freud was a neurologist by training