Author Topic: I've been doing some study of biblical history and I have a question  (Read 3690 times)

ftf

I would like to know if Jews consider the Septuagint Mauscripts to be an accurate rendition of the Tanach.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 04:45:28 PM by ftf »

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: I've been doing some study of bblical history and I have a question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 01:50:20 PM »
THATS THE ONE THAT WAS COMPILED IN EGYPT? IF THATS THE ONE I DON'NT THINK IT USED .Lubab might know
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

ftf

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 04:45:10 PM »
According to my sources it's the earliest complete manuscript of the tanach that still exists in complete form. It is however in greek not hebrew, according to my sources it was produced so that the romans could understand what the Jewish religion was about. But the earliest complete hebrew manuscript still in existance is about 700 years newer than it, if my sources  are correct.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:31:55 PM »
According to my sources it's the earliest complete manuscript of the tanach that still exists in complete form. It is however in greek not hebrew, according to my sources it was produced so that the romans could understand what the Jewish religion was about. But the earliest complete hebrew manuscript still in existance is about 700 years newer than it, if my sources  are correct.
Yes i think your right
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

ftf

Re: I've been doing some study of biblical history and I have a question
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »
I'm just wondering if Jews believe it to be accurate, because I am intending to base a study I'm about to do on it, but I do not wish to do so if Jews think it is inaccurate.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 06:58:17 PM »
No, it is not accurate since it is merely a translation based on the account in the Talmud that states that Ptolmy the king (third century BCE) forced the 70 Jewish elders of the Sanhedrin to translate the Bible into Greek.  The Talmud lists identical changes that the all Rabbis purposely made so that Ptolemy wouldn't mock them.  These manuscripts are merely a copy of an unknown version of these translations and most likely a copy of a copy that was copied over many times and has many mistakes at best.  The only original account of the Bible is the Hebrew version we have today since Jewish Law makes the Scribe copy the Bible word for word from an already verified written Torah, and it is checked very closely to be accurate and it is not valid if one letter is different.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:44:18 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

ftf

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:22:27 PM »
My sources tell me that it is from the third century BC not AD. Of course they could be completely wrong.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »
My sources tell me that it is from the third century B.C.E. not AD. Of course they could be completely wrong.

You are correct.  I made a type error and wrote CE instead of BCE like I thought I wrote.  The Sanhedrin translated the Bible into Greek for Ptolomy in about the third century BCE.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

ftf

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 10:24:32 PM »
Thanks for the info jdl4ever, if you know where I could see a list of the intentional errors I would be very grateful, but don't put yourself out.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »
The Septuagint is not very reliable.

It actually messes up how many Israelites went down to Eqypt with Jacob.

It says once 70 and once 75.

Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Alexander

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:27:56 PM »
Thanks for bringing this subject up ftf. I too have wondered about the accuracy of the Septuagint and the Jewish view of this translation. I even asked Chaim about it on the July 8th Ask JTF program.
I have not had too much luck finding info on the subject from a Jewish perspective. I have found some from the Greek Orthodox perspective because that is the translation we use for our Bible Study. I just can't be sure how historically accurate it is. Well, please post any findings that you might make in the future.
Here is one source that was somewhat helpful, though it is Christian:  www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/