Author Topic: A man catches a large, odd looking old fish in Alaska.  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
A man catches a large, odd looking old fish in Alaska.
« on: July 02, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-catches-200-old-40-pound-fish-135438367.html

The fish looks like a puppet (At least it's head area. The tail area looks like a real fish.).

Is it kosher?

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: A man catches a large, odd looking old fish in Alaska.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
It should be sent for scientific investigation.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
I don't have a lot of time right now, in between Dentist appointments actually...

But aren't fish a simple matter of whether they have fins and scales? If this thing has fins and scales it is kosher according to my understanding.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/137606/jewish/Fishing-for-the-Facts.htm

From a kashrus point of view, too, fish would seem to have much more going for it than meat or fowl. So much can go wrong in the process of ensuring that meat is kosher. Besides being of kosher species, animals or fowl may be slaughtered only by an expert certified shochet known for his religious piety and knowledge of detailed Torah rules. His knife must be razor-sharp without the slightest nick, and the slaughtering process can go wrong in numerous ways. The carcass has to be carefully checked for disqualifying factors such as lung-perforations, then properly salted to remove its blood.

So much can go wrong with meat, in fact, that conscientious Jews eat it only when it is certified by a rabbi or kashrus agency with whom they are closely familiar and know to be absolutely reliable. That's why, at catered affairs, even when supervised by reliable kashrus certifiers, guests very particular about kashrus often ask for fish instead of meat. In comparison to meat, the kosher requirements for fish seem tame. Other than the two signs the Torah specifies for kosher fish, fins and scales (Leviticus 11:9-10), fish needs nothing else to be kosher. Fish needs no ritual slaughter or salting; even its blood is permitted (although we don't consume it unless other fish-parts are visible in it).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »
It looks like a Goldfish that kept growing and growing for 100 years.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:27:43 PM »
I don't have a lot of time right now, in between Dentist appointments actually...

But aren't fish a simple matter of whether they have fins and scales? If this thing has fins and scales it is kosher according to my understanding.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/137606/jewish/Fishing-for-the-Facts.htm

Actually not all scales are Halachically scales. Phil Chernofsky once pointed out on Torah Tidbits Audio that in Biology class at Yeshiva University, they dissected a shark. Sharks have scales but they learned that if something has scales according to Biology, that doesn't necessarily make it Halachic scales.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

What looks like a mouth and teeth is probably its gills.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
I love fishes and fishing... This looks very intresting!
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:34:28 PM »
huge eyes
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 09:26:15 PM »
huge eyes

The eyes probably weren't popped out like that underwater. They did that due to pressure changes from coming up from very deep.

I

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
How about an ugly fish contest? WARNING: Some of these cretins may cause nightmares...

And no, I don't think these ugly beasts are kosher...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
That first angler fish kind of looks like the "alien" that pops out of the person's stomach in the Aliens movie.

Offline Havok

• Full JTFer
  • You'll never get rid of me
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:58 PM »
He caught a Pokemon
The moral of this story is that no matter how much we try, no matter how much we want it … some stories just don't have a happy ending.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »
Those are angler fish. You can get them at a local pet shop.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-catches-200-old-40-pound-fish-135438367.html

The fish looks like a puppet (At least it's head area. The tail area looks like a real fish.).

Is it kosher?

I don't know if it is kosher, but it is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_fish

You can buy it in my town regulary on the market. The eyes look like this, because it lives very deep in the sea. So the pressure can not equalize if you pull it out quickly.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
I don't know if it is kosher, but it is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_fish

You can buy it in my town regulary on the market. The eyes look like this, because it lives very deep in the sea. So the pressure can not equalize if you pull it out quickly.
Its natural habitat is the deep water of the north Atlantic, how did it reach the north Pacific ?

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
I have no idea. But compare the pictures.

https://www.google.de/search?q=goldbarsch&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=de&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=M1vUUc2QJ4Twsgax1oDgDg&biw=1920&bih=908&sei=N1vUUZrdCcjEtAaq6IGIBg
You are almost right. The fish he caught according to the article is a 200 years old (!!!) Shortraker Rockfish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortraker_rock-fish

It looks similar to the Rose Fish of the north Atlantic because they are both from the Rockfish family of fish.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 03:21:08 AM »
You are almost right. The fish he caught according to the article is a 200 years old (!!!) Shortraker Rockfish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortraker_rock-fish

It looks similar to the Rose Fish of the north Atlantic because they are both from the Rockfish family of fish.

Oh interesting.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »
This is really interesting, looks like a cross between a Salmon, Halibut, and Grouper....Amazing..wonder how it survived this long, until getting caught.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »
This is just speculation but it's possible that deep water fish like that have a slow metabolism and that could be why it has a longer lifespan.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 04:05:26 PM »
This is just speculation but it's possible that deep water fish like that have a slow metabolism and that could be why it has a longer lifespan.
Yes it is a very reasonable assumption.