Author Topic: Yom Kippur at Sdot Yam  (Read 5117 times)

Offline David Ben-Ariel

• Full JTFer
    • Beyond Babylon
Yom Kippur at Sdot Yam
« on: October 03, 2006, 02:01:26 PM »
Mon., Oct. 9, '89/9:30 p.m.

Kibbutz Sdot Yam

Today was Yom Kippur, so I begin to write on a "clean slate," beginning with synagogue services (2 1/2 hrs.) last night to usher in this holiest of Jewish days.

I mainly went for the experience, as well as spiritual solidarity with my people (G-d's Church & the Jews) around the world. I read & sang only about a tithe of the service - amazed that I could keep up in Hebrew I'd never read before.

With me were other ulpanistim [Hebrew students] who elected to fast - mainly, I believe, for the experience or test or show-off of will-power. G-d alone knows. I scanned the faces of all those assembled in the make-shift synagogue with mixed emotions and an alien distance.

Tradition - even empty, hollow, shallow - has assisted Jewry to preserve this Day, however imperfectly; yet I also couldn't help but think of G-d & Kahane who might dismiss such "worship" as vain and such "devotions" as void. Liberal, Hellenist, humanists who have nothing to do with G-d and are ignorant of or deny His Word as a general rule, as hypocritical & unacceptable as professing Christianity on the pagan days of Christmas and Easter - temporarily becoming "religious" or sickly kind...Nevertheless, may we all ultimately worship the One True G-d... G'mar hateemah tovah! [Be inscribed for good in the Book]....

Yom Kippur at Sdot Yam

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
Re: Yom Kippur at Sdot Yam
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:33:37 PM »
Tradition - even empty, hollow, shallow - has assisted Jewry to preserve this Day, however imperfectly

You are speaking lashon hora (evil tongue). What gives you the right to judge?
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim