Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 23579 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Uri Ariel calls for the Third Temple to be rebuilt
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »
 Binyamin- yett the people I brought down some of them were giant Torah scholars and the leaders of the generation. Are they leftists as well for rejecting the Zohar and what you believe to be the Kabbalah?
 Saying that because leftist academics reject it soo therefor we have to accept it is a false argument. + if you will lump this together with the Talmudh etc. and then 1 day come to reject it you could falsely come to reject all together by lumping them together, soo be careful and know these are different subjects entirely.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2013, 12:22:10 AM »
I was only referring to the Leftist "academic" types by using the word Leftist. I wasn't referring to the types of people you refer to. But I do think that there is a problematic sect of Yemenites that act like Rambam is the ultimate authority. Are they called Dardaists? I heard about it years ago. I think they hold by a rabbi called Kapach. How can you reject all other rabbis and only follow Rambam?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »
I was only referring to the Leftist "academic" types by using the word Leftist. I wasn't referring to the types of people you refer to. But I do think that there is a problematic sect of Yemenites that act like Rambam is the ultimate authority. Are they called Dardaists? I heard about it years ago. I think they hold by a rabbi called Kapach. How can you reject all other rabbis and only follow Rambam?

Yes, it seems some people believe Rambam is the ONLY one who decides what is Jewish and what is not. This was discussed the other day when it seemed that some people were arguing that Rambams 13 principles are not universal (which I believe are a universal measure of Jewish belief).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2013, 12:32:28 AM »
Binyamin- yett the people I brought down some of them were giant Torah scholars and the leaders of the generation. Are they leftists as well for rejecting the Zohar and what you believe to be the Kabbalah?
 Saying that because leftist academics reject it soo therefor we have to accept it is a false argument. + if you will lump this together with the Talmudh etc. and then 1 day come to reject it you could falsely come to reject all together by lumping them together, soo be careful and know these are different subjects entirely.

Both Talmud and Kabbalah have been attacked for as long as there have been Jews. I think people will give up Talmud before they give up Kabbalah, as Kabbalah is a part of our minhagim and our rituals.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »
Both Talmud and Kabbalah have been attacked for as long as there have been Jews. I think people will give up Talmud before they give up Kabbalah, as Kabbalah is a part of our minhagim and our rituals.

:o   .Maybe true for some, still very very shocking and disturbing to say the least.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2013, 12:38:20 AM »

:o   .Maybe true for some, still very very shocking and disturbing to say the least.

We don't want any Jews to turn away from Hashem.... I am assuming you agree with me on this.

Judaism seeks the truth, so long as the search for truth is for the sake of Heaven, and the goal is the redemption of the world (rectifying it to the point of the Messianic age)... Is this not true?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2013, 12:44:23 AM »
Let me clarify that I believe that a person, a Baal Teshuva, should first learn the Pshat of the Chumash. The simple meaning of the Torah is very enlightening, and as adults it is often better understood than the learning we did of it when we were young (even Bar Mitzvah age). When I came back to my faith I found the learning of Chumash very interesting and I learned great things about our history.

Pshat leads to learning some of Midrashim which fill in the basics of the Torah stories. Often the Torah skips and jumps around in time and doesn't fully explore the topics which are being discussed. Midrashim provide the back-plot to many of the Torah stories. Although it is said that Midrashim don't exactly reflect facts but ideas which were to be passed down in the oral mesorah.

It is essential to spend time learning all parts of the Jewish Tanach. The Prophets (which we read every Shabbat for Haftarah) and the Writings (which we read on the Yom Tovim) provide a historic look at the Jews during a very crucial period of our history.

Midrashim make up the Remes & Sod parts of the interpretation of the Torah. But more depth is possible using techniques such as gematria and word analysis (don't say this, say this...) which lead to new concepts. These techniques were used by several of the great Rabbis of the 15-18th centuries and led to the writing of many great sefers on deeper Torah topics including actual Kabbalistic ideas.

I believe that starting at the beginning is the best path. Start with the Pshat, but never get tired of learning because the deeper levels of Torah help keep it interesting, and provide a way to keep your mind on Hashem every waking hour. These are my personal thoughts on Torah learning.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2013, 08:02:19 AM »
  My point was... Kabbalah would have been a heresy to the gentile Christians, so it was kept secret by the Jews until later. Maybe you guys abandoned it out of fear of being accused of Satanism, and it stuck. Now here you are, fighting about a belief Jews had originally.

What sort of influence would Jews have received in Eastern Europe?

The Torah seems pretty mystical to me. Also why were some books left out of the Tanach?

Did that make sense?

Sorry, but in light of even a superficial knowledge of Jewish history, your claims are laughable.

My point was... Kabbalah would have been a heresy to the gentile Christians, so it was kept secret by the Jews until later. Maybe you guys abandoned it out of fear of being accused of Satanism, and it stuck. Now here you are, fighting about a belief Jews had originally.

And maybe the moon is made of cheese.   It seems to me that rather than study Jewish history and what actually happened you are inventing speculation about past events (really, non-events) to fit your own personal beliefs.

Judaism itself was a heresy to gentiles, especially once gentiles formed the Catholic Church and the Byzantine empire.  We lived and breathed heresy in the eyes of those gentiles and we did not make our religion into some secret.   We practiced it and were persecuted severely.

There is not one kabbalist or scholar of kabbalah who claims that it was kept hidden because of fear of the gentiles.  Not one. 

As for "abandoning it" that is absurd.  Whatever form of kabalah existed was known by some and not by others.  It was not utilized or cited in the entire Talmud.   Do you realize that all of Judaism is based on Talmud's interpretation and application of Written Torah?  And do you realize how massive a work the Talmud is and how it was put together literally over hundreds of years?   And not one mention of kabalah by those sages who saw fit to preserve Judaic thought and practice for posterity in writing.   

Whatever small circles were involved in initiating "kabalah" (probably not chazal) kept it secret probably because it was not sanctioned!  It then evolved and grew over time until Moshe DeLeon wrote the Zohar and his heirs published it.   At the point of publication it now became known to the wider Jewish world and those who rejected its ideas rejected it, while those who accepted its ideas embraced it.   And that is why today you see some Jews arguing over this subject.  More than that, they also argue even among those who "accept" zohar as non-heretical, over its proper role and level of authority in Jewish life.    Even that is very unclear and often debated.

What sort of influence would Jews have received in Eastern Europe?

They had many sorts of influences, the strongest of which was an experience of the gentiles' visceral hatred that eventually culminated in the holocaust.    I'm not really sure what you are asking, was this meant to be some kind of cryptic question?  You'll have to be more clear.

For many generations the Jews had a degree of separation from the non-Jews in where they lived, what they did, what jobs they worked, etc.    It's a complicated history I can't explain here in two lines.

If you think that kabalah became public knowledge in Eastern Europe, you are severely mistaken.   It was in SPAIN, in the 1400's that it became popularized because Moshe Deleon wrote the zohar and his heirs published it.   It spread in the Sephardic world but some did not accept its supposed authority.   The chassidic movement is eons later.

The Torah seems pretty mystical to me. Also why were some books left out of the Tanach?

Did that make sense?
To answer your question:  No, it did not make sense.  Again, if you have a specific point to make, go ahead and make it.  If you have a specific question, ask away.   Asking a cryptic question where you are clearly trying to make some point with your question but since you are assuming your conclusion its obvious to you, while no one else really understands what you're getting at with the question, is not productive and not helpful.

The Torah seems pretty mystical to you.   Ok, then.   I don't understand what you're getting at.
And why were some books left out of the Tanach?    Because the anshei knesset hagedola determined that they did not belong or were not on the same tier as other books which were included in the tanakkh when they canonized it.     

These are straightforward answers, but it's clear to me you are trying to imply something.  But I have no idea what.
If you pose your thought in a straight forward way, then we can subject it to proper scrutiny.    Saying these cryptic one-liners doesn't help anyone.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2013, 08:05:39 AM »

Say what?

Are you suggesting the Talmud doesn't record our minhagim and rituals?   Nope, try again.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2013, 08:06:46 AM »

Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai revealed it. 

Revealed it to whom exactly?

That is plain nonsense.   And there are even Kabalists today who do NOT assert that Shimon bar yohai is author of the zohar.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
Revealed it to whom exactly?

That is plain nonsense.   And there are even Kabalists today who do NOT assert that Shimon bar yohai is author of the zohar.

He revealed it yet it was hidden until much later. Get it?  :::D

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »
Sorry, but in light of even a superficial knowledge of Jewish history, your claims are laughable.

And maybe the moon is made of cheese.   It seems to me that rather than study Jewish history and what actually happened you are inventing speculation about past events (really, non-events) to fit your own personal beliefs.

Judaism itself was a heresy to gentiles, especially once gentiles formed the Catholic Church and the Byzantine empire.  We lived and breathed heresy in the eyes of those gentiles and we did not make our religion into some secret.   We practiced it and were persecuted severely.

There is not one kabbalist or scholar of kabbalah who claims that it was kept hidden because of fear of the gentiles.  Not one. 

As for "abandoning it" that is absurd.  Whatever form of kabalah existed was known by some and not by others.  It was not utilized or cited in the entire Talmud.   Do you realize that all of Judaism is based on Talmud's interpretation and application of Written Torah?  And do you realize how massive a work the Talmud is and how it was put together literally over hundreds of years?   And not one mention of kabalah by those sages who saw fit to preserve Judaic thought and practice for posterity in writing.   

Whatever small circles were involved in initiating "kabalah" (probably not chazal) kept it secret probably because it was not sanctioned!  It then evolved and grew over time until Moshe DeLeon wrote the Zohar and his heirs published it.   At the point of publication it now became known to the wider Jewish world and those who rejected its ideas rejected it, while those who accepted its ideas embraced it.   And that is why today you see some Jews arguing over this subject.  More than that, they also argue even among those who "accept" zohar as non-heretical, over its proper role and level of authority in Jewish life.    Even that is very unclear and often debated.

They had many sorts of influences, the strongest of which was an experience of the gentiles' visceral hatred that eventually culminated in the holocaust.    I'm not really sure what you are asking, was this meant to be some kind of cryptic question?  You'll have to be more clear.

For many generations the Jews had a degree of separation from the non-Jews in where they lived, what they did, what jobs they worked, etc.    It's a complicated history I can't explain here in two lines.

If you think that kabalah became public knowledge in Eastern Europe, you are severely mistaken.   It was in SPAIN, in the 1400's that it became popularized because Moshe Deleon wrote the zohar and his heirs published it.   It spread in the Sephardic world but some did not accept its supposed authority.   The chassidic movement is eons later.

To answer your question:  No, it did not make sense.  Again, if you have a specific point to make, go ahead and make it.  If you have a specific question, ask away.   Asking a cryptic question where you are clearly trying to make some point with your question but since you are assuming your conclusion its obvious to you, while no one else really understands what you're getting at with the question, is not productive and not helpful.

The Torah seems pretty mystical to you.   Ok, then.   I don't understand what you're getting at.
And why were some books left out of the Tanach?    Because the anshei knesset hagedola determined that they did not belong or were not on the same tier as other books which were included in the tanakkh when they canonized it.     

These are straightforward answers, but it's clear to me you are trying to imply something.  But I have no idea what.
If you pose your thought in a straight forward way, then we can subject it to proper scrutiny.    Saying these cryptic one-liners doesn't help anyone.
It was a thought........

What are you talking about? The moon is made out of cheese!

Also, I have only been studying Torah for a year and a half. Does that mean I can't express my thoughts?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »
You can express whatever you want but I request that you do so clearly and directly.  And do not hold good Jews. On this forum to some foreign standard not required of us by Torah!  For our beliefs or our acti9ns.

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2013, 09:10:39 PM »
The Mosque of Omar looks gloriously fragile and eminently able to collapse in on itself!

http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/part-four-dome-of-the-rock/