Author Topic: If you use TOR, the government has been spying on you  (Read 3693 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: If you use TOR, the government has been spying on you
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
I very seriously doubt that the government considers us important enough or much of a threat. There is nothing to worry about.

Now that would change if (and when) we become a mass movement, G-d willing.

I agree with that Shlomo, I don't think jtf in general is a threat to the government (unless god forbid we were living under a nazi or communist government, fortunately there is still a balance of power to a degree) but I can see where personal liberties could erode.

JTF is a law abiding organization and as long as we remain such, I think as a organization we have little to worry about unless we live under a country that is under shariah law which in that case, we would not want to live in that country.

Many of our opinions and beliefs are supporting the existence of Israel as a sovereign Jewish state, exposing the hatred of terrorists and exposing the illegal aliens and criminals, there is nothing the JTF does or says that could be associated as being illegal that would put us in that situation, to me the only way JTF would become illegal is if freedom of speech is outlawed or support of a multiparty system or criminalization of criticizing the government and its policies, fortunately despite who is the leader of our country, we still have a balance of power through the house and senate, and our state representatives which as long as that exists, then we as contributors to this community will continue to be seen as law abiding as we do not advocate illegal activities.

in regards to tor, it started off as a military project and had some great ideas, I still think that there's a lot of use with tor, unfortunately the design has attracted some of the worst scum imaginable and I do see in the near future that networks like tor or other darknets could be banned or outlawed through guilt by association, criminalization of exporting encryption technology by acting as a relay for e tor network by allowing outside countries access to your network to distribute content, or the claim the networks are being used by terrorists or other criminals, that is a possibility.

I think that tor still has a lot of uses such as individuals in countries where their rights or freedom of speech is being censored, etc.

In my opinion, advertising yourself as using tor is like advertising "hey I have a secret no one knows about, can I tell you and can you keep a secret?", the moment someone knows, it's no longer a secret hence if your trying to stay under the radar, research, keep quiet, and create a threat model and identify what and why you would need to use something like tor if you do need to use it, remember sometimes focusing on security and encryption in some cases can sometimes make you a bigger target than not using it at all, and the best way I can explain that is if your using facebook through your ISP, your ISP probably doesn't care unless they are under court order subpoena to use deep packet inspection on you. However if you are using facebook through tor and a exit node is sniffing your traffic, you've basically defeated the whole purpose of being anonymous, this is the best way I can explain it.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »
http://piratebrowser.com/

Does it make me surf the net anonymously?

No, while it uses Tor network, which is designed for anonymous surfing, this browser is intended just to circumvent censorship — to remove limits on accessing websites your government doesn't want you to know about.

If you are looking for something more secure you may want to try a VPN like PrivacyIO.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
Does it make me surf the net anonymously?

No, while it uses Tor network, which is designed for anonymous surfing, this browser is intended just to circumvent censorship — to remove limits on accessing websites your government doesn't want you to know about.

If you are looking for something more secure you may want to try a VPN like PrivacyIO.

I know what the website says so you don't have to quote it here.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 06:35:13 PM »
I know what the website says so you don't have to quote it here.

I was not trying to educate you Leopard, I was writing what I deemed to be the conclusion about the usefulness of this product. If you use it to bypass a filter in Iran, they still see you, and kill you. Is the browser functional in conjunction with a VPN?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge