Author Topic: Rishon L’Tzion Rav Yosef: Learn or Serve in the IDF  (Read 892 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Jacob_Levi

• Junior JTFer
Re: Rishon L’Tzion Rav Yosef: Learn or Serve in the IDF
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. --John
Stuart Mill
------------------------
I am not sure that conscience objector is applicable in this situation. It sure sounds a-kin to it. A person that does not believe in defending the Country in which they reside needs to find a new home. Good luck in being welcomed.

I am always baffled by the mentality.
טוב להיות זנב לאריות מאשר ראש לשועלים

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:52:19 PM »
Do these Haredis work? 

Now I know I keep saying this, but if fighting for your country was good enough for Joshua, Moses, and King David, why isn't it good enough for these people? 

I mean, these are Jews, not Quakers! 

Since when has Judaism become synonymous with not working, or fighting for your country, but burying your head in a prayer book above all else?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:03:05 PM »
 Lisa actually he is saying they should join the army *if they are not learning seriously. AND at the same time for the army to make and uphold Religious standards for the soldiers.  Also to spread the Torah while being in the army.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:19:05 PM »
Here is the article in full, read it.

Rishon L’Tzion Rav Yosef: Learn or Serve in the IDF
(Sunday, August 18th, 2013)
yyoDuring a visit to Kfar Chabad, Rishon L’Tzion Rabbi Yitzchak Yosef addressed the issue of chareidim serving in the IDF. The rav stated that bochrim who are not in a learning framework should enter the IDF, but there must be appropriate options available to them to accommodate their lifestyle.

Rabbi Yitzchak explains that he has run a yeshiva for many years and has threatened bochrim who do not learn that they will be heading to the army. He added that for those who do not learn full time there are programs such as hesder, offering an alternative.

He explains that for one in such a situation, he can be m’chazek others such as one young man who went to the army and took Yalkut Yosef with him, giving daily shiurim.

The rav showered the Chabadnikim with praise for their mesirus nefesh in being mezake the rabim and the chassidus’ concern for all of Am Yisrael.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
Fine.  So what's the meaning of "learning seriously?"  Lots of men can say they're "learning seriously."  Still, I don't understand why they can't "learn seriously" while defending their homeland. 

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »
Fine.  So what's the meaning of "learning seriously?"  Lots of men can say they're "learning seriously."  Still, I don't understand why they can't "learn seriously" while defending their homeland.

Full time with seriousness and not slacking off. No interruptions as well.  Rav Kahane also mentioned this.
   Its not about saying, its about doing that is why he (before as well) threatened those who slack off and dont show progress to be thrown out and put into the IDF instead.