Poll

Are Australian's becoming more aggressive?

Yes
2 (100%)
No
0 (0%)
About the same as always
0 (0%)
Don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Is this the new Australia  (Read 1638 times)

Kiwi

Is this the new Australia
« on: November 19, 2007, 07:49:55 AM »
Assaults up 1000 a week

Brian Robins
November 19, 2007 - 1:38PM
Latest related coverage

* Boy, 11, 'robbed officer'
    * Teen stabbed multiple times: police
    * Shots fired into Sydney home

There has been a sharp rise in the number of assaults over the past year, according to Australian Bureau of Statistics data, which has left the authorities scratching their heads.

The data shows a rise to 241,400 in the year to April, up from 189,700 a year earlier.

Much of the increase is among 15 to 24 year olds, where the percentage assaulted or threatened with assaut rose to 10.2 per cent from 6.8 per cent.

Mr Don Weatherburn, the head of the Bureau of Crime Statistics said he was unsure of the reasons for the rise.

"Why isn't it reflected in the police figures? I'll be writing to the Police Commissioner to ask why," Dr Weatherburn said.

"One explanation is the police aren't reporting all incidents. This is the first time since the early 1990's I've seen a serious discrepancy."

newman

Re: Is this the new Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:55:01 AM »
Yes.

We're going the same way as the UK. Gangs of teenagers kicking people to death etc. We need old school policing where the local coppers flog the daylights out of young people when they start going bad at 10 or 12. That way they NEVER graduate to major criminality at 17-19.

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 07:56:43 AM »
What do you think the answer is?  ???

newman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:02:47 AM »
What I said:
We need old school policing where the local coppers flog the daylights out of young people when they start going bad at 10 or 12. That way they NEVER graduate to major criminality at 17-19.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:15:05 AM »
This sort of reminded me of the lebanese muslim riots a a couple years ago.

Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 07:03:16 PM »
What I said:
We need old school policing where the local coppers flog the daylights out of young people when they start going bad at 10 or 12. That way they NEVER graduate to major criminality at 17-19.

Thats it? thats your plan, I was expecting something, well far more newman minded really. ???

newman

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:23:11 AM »
What I said:

Thats it? thats your plan, I was expecting something, well far more newman minded really. ???

99% of adults have self discipline that comes from within. The remaining 1% must have it imposed from without.

Children are different. They have NO self-discipline other than what is engendered by their parents. If the parents fail it falls on the arms of the state to impose discipline which creates self-discipline in adulthood.

Look at news footage of Australian prisons. They all strut around playing the tuff guy. Waste of time. Look at US county farms. The cons have their heads down..."Yes, boss...no, boss"...Brutality works.

If youngsters who start going off the rails are sufficiently terrorised, they'll go back on the rails.

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 03:39:57 AM »
True, but what about the parents? You are a product of how you are raised.

I believe they need to held accountable for what they created until legal age. Not 16 but 18.

newman

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 03:46:32 AM »
True, but what about the parents? You are a product of how you are raised.

I believe they need to held accountable for what they created until legal age. Not 16 but 18.

That's true.

But how do you explain the fact that some oarents raise two perfect kids and one who's a total misfit? It happens.

Parents can only control things to a certain degree. They can't completely stop the influence of Big Brother, MTV and gangsta rap.

There should be some sort of option for parents. The kid does something and they get a choice. They can be accountable for it or give consent to a state correction course of incarceration and severe corporal punishment. The threat of this would be a good weapon for parents, too.

Kiwi

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 03:54:51 AM »
Apart form sh*t happens at times, fact remains they are their parents.

I don't believe TV has a huge effect on the outcome of the kid.

I have seen kids raised up on the street with great characters and morals.

I have seen kids raised in middle class homes being criminals.

The fact is most parents don't raise their kids at all.

And they kids learn no limits, the number one thing to made this country what it is today, was making it illegal to smack the child.

This needs to be removed back to the days when if they were naughty getting a smack. I don't believe in Abusing, but I do believe in smacking.

You can't reason with a child under 7, and after that without limits the child does not need to care or listen, you are wasting your time.