Author Topic: Important Announcement For All Animal Lovers!  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Important Announcement For All Animal Lovers!
« on: July 29, 2007, 11:55:57 PM »
It is now officially Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.  I have always had a love/hate relationship with sharks ever since I saw Jaws as a kid.  Fascinating creatures, thought not Kosher to eat.  Enjoy.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Important Announcement For All Animal Lovers!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 05:36:55 PM »
I've eaten shark before.
I don't have the discovery Channel either! No fair, i love sharks.....are they repeated documentrys called deep blue, or something as such?

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Hi Sarah,

Glad to see you've returned to the forum.  I thought you had made an announcement that you were leaving for good.  Anyway, I caught some of the documentaries on sharks and they were fascinating, especially on Great White sharks.  Some South African nut actually swam right alongside them without a cage.  Too bad you don't have the Discovery channel, as it's very good for nature lovers.  Hope all is well with you and welcome back. 

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:35:36 PM »
Thank you. :)

I used to watch animal planet all the time, Steve Irwin was brilliant on his shows as well. A lot of sharks are pretty harmless but the great white is a monster, also bull sharks.

newman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 07:40:55 PM »
Thank you. :)

I used to watch animal planet all the time, Steve Irwin was brilliant on his shows as well. A lot of sharks are pretty harmless but the great white is a monster, also bull sharks.

Bull Sharks attack more people than most other species. Great Whites are often blamed for Bull Shark attacks. Bull sharks can also live 1000 miles up river in fresh water for indefinite periods! :o

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »
Yes Animal Planet is a good channel too.  Too bad what happened to Steve Irwin, especially since it was so harmless compared to a lot of the other stuff that he did.  Nice to see his daughter follow in his footsteps though.  Bull Sharks are responsible for the most attacks.  I believe they are the only shark to live in both salt water and fresh water.  Still, if I had a choice I'd rather be in the water with a Bull shark than a Great White or Tiger shark. 

newman

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 10:00:44 PM »
Oddly enough, Great whites are very selective about their diet. It's usually a mistake or deperation when they attack humans. Tiger sharks will eat anything at all and they're nearly as big as Great Whites. They also preferr the warmer water where humans are more likely to be.

Bull sharks are only 2/3 the size of Tiger sharks but they just happen to be in far more places where humans swim such as rivers and lakes. These waters are often murky forcing the Bull shark to rely on it's sensory array and not sight. This combination of circumstances leads to the high number of human casualties from this species. Bull Sharks have been found as far as 1000 miles up the Mississippi River and they infest Lake Nicaragua which is several hundred miles from the ocean and entirely fresh water!

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 10:04:11 AM »
Not only can they survive for long periods of time in fresh water but also in shallow water too, where the humans are most likely to delve into.

Great white sharks have the strongest bite with a force of around 4 elephants per tooth, when they do attack. Their teeth also point backwards so their prey cannot wriggle free or come free of the bite.

newman

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:13:17 AM »
Not only can they survive for long periods of time in fresh water but also in shallow water too, where the humans are most likely to delve into.

Great white sharks have the strongest bite with a force of around 4 elephants per tooth, when they do attack. Their teeth also point backwards so their prey cannot wriggle free or come free of the bite.

You're well-read, Sarah. Have you heard of Australia's Vic Hislop?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 12:41:09 PM »

I haven't heard much but he has seeked out the largest great whites and sharks.

newman

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »

I haven't heard much but he has seeked out the largest great whites and sharks.

Correct. He is hated by academics, journalists and tree huggers but he is stiil the only expert who makes any sense. Here's a link:

http://www.ozmagic3.homestead.com/VicHislopSharkExpo.html

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 08:04:23 PM »
Great site, Newman.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 11:26:24 PM »
Interesting factoids guys!
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris