Author Topic: The 10 Best Star-Trek TOS Episodes : According to WatchMojo.com  (Read 5982 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: The 10 Best Star-Trek TOS Episodes : According to WatchMojo.com
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 11:12:49 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I full agree that TOS was much more interesting than TNG. It is something I also said to my friend recently about sci-fi in general. It seems 'effects' are more important than the actors in todays movies.

I watched a documentary on Shatner this afternoon. Very interesting guy...

Anyway I also like Diana Troi, the daughter of Laxwana Troi...

Here is a top 10 episodes of TNG:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline fibrogirl

• Full JTFer
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 11:48:50 PM »
...And the character of Captain Kirk was so passionate about his beliefs.  Young William Shatner was not a bad looking guy.  It was nice to see him getting his shirt ripped open and his face scratched... 

I thought it was just me who enjoyed that   ;D

It's nice that I am not the only female fan.

I didn't like TNG. Apart from the physically unattractive captain/crew, I found the plots very slow and borring. TOS would get right into the plot immediatly.

A lot of the plots in TOS had an allegory to them.
For example in one episode they go to a planet where the humans are drugged and happy. (It's the one where Spock falls for a girl in S1.) When the crew find and get rid of the chemical that drugged everyone, the humans return to their usual unhappy selfs. Then they suddenly realise that they have not achieved anything.
End message of that episode:  Unhappiness and dissatisfation are what causes humans to progress and push themselves to invent and create.
It was quite clever really.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 12:50:21 AM »
fibro,

I hear what you are saying but disagree on certain aspects. Of course I am coming from a 'male perspective'...

TNG did have two very attractive characters, and it became a part of the plot (to the point it became 'soap opera'-ish)...

Diana Troi and Will Riker were the two perfect looking specimens (although Troi was not human, but humanoid)...

In discussing this recently it was said that Riker was supposed to be the series new 'macho' looking character for the plots which call for the 'Kirk'-like rolls.

I said 'Diana is hot' a lot... I like that brunette, intellectual character, who is empathetic and may I add 'buxom'..

And like mushrooms and cheese, the TNG series did require a little time to get used to. But the plots sometimes were interesting ways of looking at philosophical issues. The whole 'Data' character and his search for what it means to be human (which I call the pinochio plot) does provide some good plot material.

I was very tired of plot devices like the 'Holo-Deck' which would occasionally malfunction and cause predictable events in the story... I thought some characters were obviously on the cast to provide comic relief (like the woopie Goldberg character)...

Anyway, TOS is still my all time favorite. And Kirk can kick some ssa....

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 12:57:42 AM »
Shatners biography is very interesting...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 01:00:15 AM »
I saw that documentary on Sunday afternoon.... Very good man, he had some tough times...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »
I suspect Lisa may remember this classic TNG episode when Luxwana Troi gets a 'crush' on Captain Picard...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 01:23:41 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 01:38:39 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 02:40:47 AM »
Some classic TNG scenes...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 02:51:09 AM »