Author Topic: "God" "Hashem" "Hashem"  (Read 3498 times)

Offline steveak

• New JTFer
"God" "Hashem" "Hashem"
« on: August 04, 2007, 12:33:24 AM »
What is it with these gods?  Who believes in them and why?  I've tried to believe in them and all I've ever seen is murdered Jews. I believe in Patriarchs and Matriarchs.

newman

Re: "G-d" "HaShem" "Hashem"
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:39:22 AM »
We all get perplexed like that. A rabbi is needed to answer that, but rest assured....there is an answer.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 02:21:21 AM »
Listen, there has to be One Creator whatever His name is.  The problem isn't with Gd but with humankind because it tends to get jealous of one another and that is what leads to wars and killing each other..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline steveak

• New JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 02:26:31 AM »
There does not have to be one creator. For all you or I know there may be millions of them.  If I had a car the way this planet is set up I would get rid of it tomorrow.  Those who make excuses and reasons for the suffering of others have not suffered enough themselves.  "There's a reason for everything" means "as long as its not me."

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 08:15:11 AM »
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »
There does not have to be one creator. For all you or I know there may be millions of them.  If I had a car the way this planet is set up I would get rid of it tomorrow.  Those who make excuses and reasons for the suffering of others have not suffered enough themselves.  "There's a reason for everything" means "as long as its not me."

We are but teeny tiny insignificant prokaryotes relative to what Gd Is.  To me, this universe would make no sense...whether it is suffering or happiness if there were trillions of little gods.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:40:17 PM »
What is it with these gods?  Who believes in them and why?  I've tried to believe in them and all I've ever seen is murdered Jews. I believe in Patriarchs and Matriarchs.

I never understood why people think that because there is evil in the world there can't be a G-d.

The logical conclusion to reach is that there is a G-d (because nothing can't create a world-so there had to be a creator) but He likes to do evil things sometimes.

People assume G-d that if there is a G-d He must be limited to doing only good things.  That is the fallacy. G-d can do whatever He wants. 

(Obviously there's more to this story...I don't belive G-d likes doing mean things...but you need to understand this fallacy to get started on the true path).

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline steveak

• New JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 10:49:32 PM »
Most people would reply to this by saying a being like that is not worth understanding.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 11:34:19 PM »
Most people would reply to this by saying a being like that is not worth understanding.

First, who says He has to be worth understanding? At least face the fact that some kind of creator exists. Maybe you don't like him. But don't try and tell me the world created itself.

Second, I'd disagree too. If there was some awesomely powerful Creator doing evil things every no and again. I think It'd be quite a good investment to try and understand Him.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 12:28:01 AM by lubab »
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 12:26:48 AM »

There is only ONE G-d, steveak. We say it every day in the Shema. Only ONE Creator of the Universe who is eternal and completely just.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline genteelgentile

• Pro JTFer
  • Chaim Ben Pesach- Civil Rights Leader 4 The Ages
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 01:27:30 AM »
There are some things we just aren't meant to understand...yet.  Maybe you are too young to see that.  It doesn't seem like you are coming here with a positive attitude, but we'll see.  Even the most devout Jew often has questions for God.
I LOVE dogs because muslims do not!!!!  Have your dog kiss a muslim today!

Offline steveak

• New JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 02:56:02 AM »
I believe there are creators.  I have no interest in trying to understand evil people or gods.  Its my responsibility to try to get rid of them.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 03:44:18 AM »
I believe there are creators.  I have no interest in trying to understand evil people or gods.  Its my responsibility to try to get rid of them.

And it is my responsibility to protect our members, JTF, and G-d's Name. I'm not sure what you mean by "get rid of them" but it is obvious you have not come here to debate since you have "no interest in understanding".

You have come here to insult G-d and attack the forum.

Your problem is that you believe in "creators". You are evil, steveak, and are part of the problem. If you weren't as foolish, ignorant, and arrogant, perhaps you'd have a chance. Instead, you have a need to justify your evil behavior and you don't like the laws of the Bible.

You are banned.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

newman

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 03:45:03 AM »
I was hoping he was just an angry guy hoping to find answers that lubab could have helped him with, but he wasn't interested in taking anything onboard........damn pitty.

You're right, Jeffguy.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 10:08:33 AM »

Your not the first one to try and get rid of G-d. Don't flatter yourself. Titus was the first. He challenged G-d to a fight because he was so mighty. So G-d sent a little ugly bug up his nose which proceeded to eat out his brains.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 03:18:40 PM by lubab »

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »
Life is a test, suffering and evil is part of it.

Is it possible to say that there is no such thing as evil only the absence of good. This would mean that someone cannot ever be 100% pure evil, just lacking in a higher percentage of goodness.

Offline Catholic Zionist 73

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 06:44:07 PM »
I think The Bible suggests that G-d is all-good and all-powerful but has given us free will. Some people choose evil. Other people don't consciously choose evil, but make mistakes by not following G-d's advice on things like sex, alcohol, drugs and so on. This creates or spreads diseases and illnesses.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 06:46:13 PM »
Yes that is moral evil.

Natural evil which causes suffering, is caused by God but this is a test to see how we will respond in helping those who are victims and turning to God to ask of his help.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 07:23:05 PM »
Your not the first one to try and get rid of G-d. Don't flatter yourself. Titus was the first. He challenged G-d to a fight because he was so mighty. So G-d sent a little ugly bug up his nose which proceeded to eat out his brains.

Ya... that story from the Midrash always creeped me out. *shivvver*

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 07:42:56 PM »

What kind of bug?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »

What kind of bug?

A gnat.