Author Topic: Need help debunking Judaism is pagan myth!  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Maimonides

• Pro JTFer
  • The Greatest Jewish Sage
Need help debunking Judaism is pagan myth!
« on: August 10, 2007, 02:12:56 PM »
I know astrology plays a role in Judaism such as in Kabbalah, and the Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh is similar to the story of Noah, but that does not weaken my faith.

However this documentary brings about questions that I have trouble answering, and would like some other perspectives as to how someone can properly respond to these allegations.

This clip discusses Judaism from 3:20 up until 4:20

This clip discusses Judaism up until 2:08

The weakest part of this anti-G-d argument that it cannot explain what created this Universe and life on this planet. It is very hard to believe this is all just a coincidence.
“You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes”- Maimonides

newman

Re: Need help debunking Judaism is pagan myth!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 02:15:23 PM »
This is definitely a Lubab job.

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 05:58:56 PM »
I know astrology plays a role in Judaism such as in Kabbalah, and the Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh is similar to the story of Noah, but that does not weaken my faith.

However this documentary brings about questions that I have trouble answering, and would like some other perspectives as to how someone can properly respond to these allegations.

The weakest part of this anti-G-d argument that it cannot explain what created this Universe and life on this planet. It is very hard to believe this is all just a coincidence.

So most religions have heavy pagan influences. No news there. 

Astrology is part of Judaism and was started by Judaism. The pagans (incidentally, not as dumb as people make them out to be) got it from us. (Just like every other religion got whatever truth they have from us).

The current version of astrology version is basterdized beyond all recognition and has become complete idol worship.

What happened was, the whole study of astrology was done from the beginning of time as a way of appreciating G-d's control over the universe.

Then people began to worship the stars and sun themselves, forgetting how G-d is the one controlling them and telling them what to do.

That's how idol worship began.

The Rambam explains this in Hilchos Yesodei Hatorah. Your name is Maimonedes so you should know that!

To say that things in Judaism correspond with things in astrology is true, but it's the true astrology, not the one that people today associate with idol worship and utter foolishness.

The arguments against Judaisms are pretty weak if they're arguments at all. Take out the scary music and all you've got is a guy saying that the Egyptians has writing which talked about stuff which is also recorded in the Torah which is very likely. Why wouldn't they?  Where he get's from that to say that the Egyptians are the originators and the Jews are the imposters is a HUGE leap that's not at all backed up.

The "10 commandments" he mentioned are probably the Noahide laws which the gentiles all knew about.

But I really don't beleive anything a guy tells me just because he's got music playing in the background, so who knows how much of it is even true.

He says that the Moses story was "plagarized" from writing that took place AFTER the Torah was given. How can you plagarize something that wasn't created yet? Isn't it more likely that the Greek mythology took their stuff from the Torah?

This guy's got an agenda so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Christianity however did incorporate many pagan ideas to make pagans more comfortable with converting e.g. halloween and X-mas trees are pagan ideas.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 07:19:49 PM by lubab »
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 06:42:50 AM »

So most religions have heavy pagan influences. No news there. 

Astrology is part of Judaism and was started by Judaism. The pagans (incidentally, not as dumb as people make them out to be) got it from us. (Just like every other religion got whatever truth they have from us).

The current version of astrology version is basterdized beyond all recognition and has become complete idol worship.

What happened was, the whole study of astrology was done from the beginning of time as a way of appreciating G-d's control over the universe.

Then people began to worship the stars and sun themselves, forgetting how G-d is the one controlling them and telling them what to do.

That's how idol worship began.

The Rambam explains this in Hilchos Yesodei Hatorah. Your name is Maimonedes so you should know that!

To say that things in Judaism correspond with things in astrology is true, but it's the true astrology, not the one that people today associate with idol worship and utter foolishness.

The arguments against Judaisms are pretty weak if they're arguments at all. Take out the scary music and all you've got is a guy saying that the Egyptians has writing which talked about stuff which is also recorded in the Torah which is very likely. Why wouldn't they?  Where he get's from that to say that the Egyptians are the originators and the Jews are the imposters is a HUGE leap that's not at all backed up.

The "10 commandments" he mentioned are probably the Noahide laws which the gentiles all knew about.

But I really don't beleive anything a guy tells me just because he's got music playing in the background, so who knows how much of it is even true.

He says that the Moses story was "plagarized" from writing that took place AFTER the Torah was given. How can you plagarize something that wasn't created yet? Isn't it more likely that the Greek mythology took their stuff from the Torah?

This guy's got an agenda so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Christianity however did incorporate many pagan ideas to make pagans more comfortable with converting e.g. halloween and X-mas trees are pagan ideas.

I thought I read that in the 613 Mitzvot, it's said that it's a sin to believe in astrology?

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:57:53 PM »
That's talking about the eviil astrology I mentioned above. Where people believe these things have a power unto themsevleves separate from G-d.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:55:38 AM »
I thought that Abraham tour down the pagan idols.  That certainly isn't a very pagan thing to do.  And few would deny that Judaism is an Abrahamic religion.

http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=7250.0
As it said, most of the values that positively constructed civilization were pioneered in Judaism.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:26:18 PM »

Those youtube links are down by the way.

In Kabbalah, there are explanations of star signs, as an aspect of nature, how G-d works. But according to the RAMBAN,(with a nun), if we stay close to G-d, we can overcome the influences of the star signs. And we shouldn't utilise them.

The RAMBAM(with a mem), states that astrology and magic is all nonsense. Illusion, and peoples' imagination.

The pagans took G-d out of the equation.
Saying that the the stars rule or influence lives and not G-d, that's pagan.

Remember, in the Tenach, pharoh had astrologers and magicians.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:12:52 PM by q_q_ »