Author Topic: The Jewish Belief : Emmunah and Bitachon and their importance  (Read 2219 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
The Jewish Belief : Emmunah and Bitachon and their importance
« on: August 13, 2014, 12:19:59 AM »
One of the important topics I have learned from Rabbi Shafier over the years is the difference between Bitachon and Emmunah. In English these translate into 'Trust' and 'Faith'.... Obviously Judaism does not suggest we believe in Hashem with 'blind faith' as some other religions request. Judaism requires the believer to have a conversation, to ask questions of Hashem, to learn his ways by observing the world, and to KNOW Hashem is our G-d and he is the source of everything. Faith is believing while trust is knowing that Hashem is with us, with us in the good times and with us in the bad times. Sometimes when things are tough it is hard to comprehend that Hashem could still be with us. We all get that small voice in our minds which questions whether we are following the correct path, whether life really means all that we believe it means, and these doubts are a natural part of life which Hashem created. We all have a 'Yetzer Tov' and a 'Yetzer Hara' or a good inclination and a bad inclination, and that voice of doubt speaks for the evil inclination. We must learn to strengthen our bitachon so that we do not fear failing nor fear succeeding. Concentrating on the Unity of Hashem's glorious name by meditating on the Shema is a good way to give Chazak to our bitachon.

Listen to Rabbi Shafier explain these concepts...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: The Jewish Belief : Emmunah and Bitachon and their importance
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:48:56 AM »
Rabbi Mizrachi (I think) also explained it as loyalty, and any Rabbi I've asked which one of the three it meant always said "a bit of all".

The one thing I do remember for sure from Rabbi Mizrachi is that he said if you have a neighbor next door who is your best friend, and you lost the key to your house, while you may not know for sure or have any proof after you're done calling and asking him to come bring the spare, you should have confidence in him that he will because he's done it so many times before. That's like Emmunah in Hashem. I also just realized that Rabbi Mizrachi explained it as confidence, but I'm still not sure which Rabbi said it was loyalty.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: The Jewish Belief : Emmunah and Bitachon and their importance
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:45:14 AM »
Rabbi Mizrachi (I think) also explained it as loyalty, and any Rabbi I've asked which one of the three it meant always said "a bit of all".

The one thing I do remember for sure from Rabbi Mizrachi is that he said if you have a neighbor next door who is your best friend, and you lost the key to your house, while you may not know for sure or have any proof after you're done calling and asking him to come bring the spare, you should have confidence in him that he will because he's done it so many times before. That's like Emmunah in Hashem. I also just realized that Rabbi Mizrachi explained it as confidence, but I'm still not sure which Rabbi said it was loyalty.

Bitachon is trusting that Hashem will have the best intentions for our life.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14