Author Topic: WZC elections  (Read 8175 times)

Offline Southern Noachide

• Junior JTFer
WZC elections
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:37:33 PM »
Apparently elections are being held once again for the World Zionist Congress.  This interests me because, for some unaccountable reason, I actually voted in a WZC election back in the eighties (I forget if it was '82 or '87).  I just suddenly began receiving all this literature asking for my vote and then one day received the ballot.  I voted the right wing ticket headed by PM Yitzchaq Shamir.  I guess that means it was '87, right?

Anyway, I was so flattered.  I wasn't Jewish, I wasn't even an identifying Noachide at the time.  I was just your typical "Xian Zionist" who loved Israel and the Jewish People and felt a great deal of anger on learning that most (non-Jewish) right wingers actually agreed with the Communist position and supported the Arabs!  I (hand)-wrote a lot of letters protesting this position on the Right but how in the world I wound up qualified to vote in a WZC election I'll never really know.  I know I can't vote now because you have to certify that you're Jewish, and since the "Jerusalem Program" affirms Israel as a "democratic" state based on "the vision of the Prophets" (ie, secular utopianism), I don't know that I could vote in good conscience even if I were.

Anyway, I've been perusing the various slates running (https://myvoteourisrael.com/) and they all seem so bland.  The Herut North America bloc is a big  disappointment because of where the Jabotinsky wing is today (ie, Netanyahu and Likud).  ZOA we all know about (it's not a "not one inch!" organization according to Klein).  The Religious Zionist Slate is all "modern Orthodox."  AFI is hawkish but not necessarily religious.  Maybe the best ticket is the World Sephardic Zionist Organization, which sort of skirts both Charedi and national religious camps?

In short, there doesn't seem anybody worth voting for.  Why aren't any Kahanist or Second Temple groups represented?  Are they disqualified by the WZO's ideology?

The whole thing just seems like a big disappointment this year.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: WZC elections
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »
I think they are irrelevant and my suggestion is don't send them any donation. Most likely there is nobody worth voting for so why waste your time, I would just ignore them if I were in your place.

Offline Southern Noachide

• Junior JTFer
Re: WZC elections
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »
I think they are irrelevant and my suggestion is don't send them any donation. Most likely there is nobody worth voting for so why waste your time, I would just ignore them if I were in your place.

Oh no, I'm not sending a donation.  I was just waxing about the election because I once for some unaccountable reason actually had the chance to vote in one.  But I'm not going to send a donation and I don't qualify because I'm not Jewish.  Don't know how I got on their mailing list back then.  It was flattering, though.