Author Topic: When Rabbis are involved in scandals  (Read 1946 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
When Rabbis are involved in scandals
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:38:37 AM »
My wife has an anti-religious uncle who on most situations when the family sees each other brings up the scandal that rabbi X was involved with or rabbi Y...
I had mixed feelings if I should try to convince him to be religious despite rabbi X or rabbi Y, but currently I lean in the direction that these are just excuses he is raising to justify his lifestyle and even if I could adequately explain away why A]either the rabbi really wasn't guilty B] or even if he was, it is not a reflection on Judaism in general it would not really make a difference because he hates being religious for entirely different reasons and he finds it easier to justify himself in the eyes of those who give him a feeling of guilt by attacking people who he feels represent Judaism. But it is not at the foundation of why he is anti-religious.
In any case though for those who have an open mind about the issue I thought I would share some of my thoughts of what I would say if I really felt that my wife's uncle was a truth seeker who I could  convince if I presented a truthful claim on behalf of Hashem. Perhaps it will help others. Or maybe you will be able to improve what I am saying.
My first basic claim is that we do what is right because Hashem demands it of us, not because this guy or that guy is a good role model or a bad role model.
If there are those that betray Hashem in the battle to spread his glory and great name in the world that just makes those who remain loyal even greater and more virtuous in the eyes of Hashem.
I would like to compare it to the story of one of King David's warriors in the Tanakh (Bible)
It says in II Shmuel/Samuel Chapter 23 (as translated in the online Chabad translation of the Bible)
11 And after him (came) Shammah the son of Agei the mountaineer. Now the Philistines were gathered together into a troop, and there was a plot of ground full of lentils; and the people (had) fled from the Philistines.       
12 But he stationed himself in the midst of the plot and he defended it, and he slew the Philistines; and the Lord performed a great victory.
If no one had abandoned the battle field against the Philistines then everyone would have gotten a small amount of credit but no one person would have been singled out by the Tanakh as a warrior who brought a great victory for Hashem. But when almost everyone runs away from the battle and one guy or just a few guys stand their ground and bring victory to Hashem these people are elevated to true Hero status worthy of special praise.
So too, in the battle to sanctify Hashem's name, if there are those like the biblical Zimri Bamidbar/Numbers 25:14 who desecrate G-d's name, the proper response is not to just give up, but to look for ideas like Pinchas to reverse the situation with Kiddush Hashem. If they come up with the right solutions, like Pinchas did they will be elevated to a special status of praise by Hashem that they lacked before that time.

The Talmud also indicates this point that those who remain loyal to Hashem in tough situations, not only get credit for their act, but also the fact that others did abandon Hashem is added to the merit of the loyal Jew.
Here is a quote of the Talmud Chagiga 15a as translated by Soncino
After his apostasy, Aher asked R. Meir [a question], saying to him: What is the meaning of the verse: God
hath made even the one as28 well as the other?29 He replied: It means that for everything that God
created He created [also] its counterpart. He created mountains, and created hills; He created seas,
and created rivers. Said [Aher] to him: R. Akiba, thy master, did not explain it thus, but [as follows]:
He created righteous, and created wicked; He created the Garden of Eden,30 and created
Gehinnom.31 Everyone has two portions, one in the Garden of Eden and one in Gehinnom. The
righteous man, being meritorious,32 takes his own portions and his fellow's portion in the Garden of
Eden. The wicked man, being guilty,33 takes his own portion and his fellow's portion in Gehinnom.
R. Mesharsheya said: What is the Biblical proof for this? In the case of the righteous, it is written:
Therefore in their land34 they shall possess double.35 In the case of the wicked it is written: And
destroy them with double destruction.36
Footnotes
(28) Lit., ‘corresponding to’, or ‘over against’.
(29) Eccl. VII, 14.
(30) I.e., Paradise, for the righteous in the life hereafter.
(31) V. p. 82, n. 1; cf. J.E. vol. V, pp. 582f. Whereas R. Meir explains the verse as referring to physical counterparts of
nature R. Akiba understands it to speak of moral contrasts with their consequent reward and punishment. Cf. n. 6.
(32) Lit., ‘having been declared innocent, i.e., In the Heavenly Court,
(33) Lit., ‘having been declared guilty’.
(34) I. e., Paradise.
(35) lsa. LXI, 7.
(36) Jer. XVII, 18

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: When Rabbis are involved in scandals
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »
Interesting. I find the same thing... Most Jews who are irreligious usually have a multitude of 'excuses' which are established in order to justify one or two sins that they enjoy making.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: When Rabbis are involved in scandals
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 04:13:37 PM »
Jewish history and our Torah is full of imperfect people. Perfection is not necessary in order to be a Holy person. Every Jewish hero always has a weakness. I thought about this over last weeks Haftarah of 'Judges' the story of Samson, the strongest and mightiest of Jewish heros. Despite his being born a Nazir (sanctified with a higher level of holiness through his long locks and his parents listening to the angel) he had a 'fatal flaw' of finding non-Jewish women attractive. Jewish scripture does not portray our heros are 100% perfect and they always struggle with their yetzer hara. So too David and Solomon, two of the greatest kings in our Tanakh. Both fell due to their attraction to women...

In Mishlie (Proverbs) King david states that a righteous one (Tzadik) falls seven times in his life, but he gets up after every fall.

http://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/1410022/jewish/The-Foundation-of-Teshuvah-211.htm

Therefore, it is not at all surprising if at times great people seem to fall into terrible things. Rabbi Nachman states that the public is mistaken in certain issues. For one, they think that a tzadik cannot make a mistake. And if for some reason he does, he is not anymore a tzadik… The truth is, "The bigger they are, the higher they fall."

"The purpose of descent is for ascent." (Ba'al Shem Tov) "Seven [times] falls the tzadik and gets up." (Proverbs 24:16). Were it not that he fell he would not have gotten up. One who gets up after stumbling stands up stronger than he did before.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14