Author Topic: Jewish Baseball Update!  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Jewish Baseball Update!
« on: September 02, 2007, 10:38:19 PM »
With the season winding down, I thought I'd give a little update regarding Jews in the Major Leagues.  I think I posted something about Jews in sports a while back, before the season started.  I guess you could say following Jews in sports is one of my hobbies. 

The two best players this season have been Kevin Youkilis of the Boston Red Sox and Ryan Braun, rookie third baseman of the Milwaukee Brewers.  Youkilis has been hitting around .300 all season and his team has a legit shot at the World Series in my opinion.  His team was put together by Theo Epstein, incidentally, a Jewish General Manager, who will get a lot of credit if the Sox win.

Braun has been the biggest Jewish surprise of the season by far.  He's a lock for NL rookie of the year.  He missed almost the first two months of the season (He was still in the Minors for some reason) and is currently hitting .330 with 26 Home Runs and over 70 RBI.  He looks like he'll be handed the torch as the best Jewish Baseball player for years to come.

As for other players, the guy who used to be the best Jewish ballplayer, Shawn Green, is having a pretty disappointing year for the Mets.  His production is clearly down, especially his power numbers, from earlier in his career.  He has also been bothered by injuries, and now that he is healthy, his playing time is being split with other players.  Green has had a hell of a career, but nearing age 35, I would expect him to be at the end of the road and possibly retire at the end of the year or only come back as  a part time player next season.

Ian Kinsler is the second baseman for the Texas Rangers.  He started off on a tear, but missed a solid part of the season after getting hurt.  He's young and should still finish with around 20 homers for the season, a very good second year in the big leagues.

Other Jewish players include, two starting Jewish pitchers, Jason Marquis and Jason Hirsh.  They've both had what I'd call average to slightly above average seasons.  Two Jewish relievers are Scott Schoenweiss and John Grabow of the Mets and Pirates respectively.  They've also been about average.

A couple of old-timers also coming to the end of their careers are Brad Ausmus and Mike Liebertthal (Jewish Dad).  Finally, other baseball figures include Epstein, the GM I already mentioned, Mark Shapiro (GM of the Indians), and Bob Melvin (Manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks, who have had a great year and should make the playoffs). 

There are also a bunch of young Jewish prospects in the minors who could make the Majors next season.  I'll keep you updated when I get the chance.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
Re: Jewish Baseball Update!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 10:49:41 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing another Sandy Koufax who will refuse to play in a playoff game if it falls out on Yom Kippur. It's amazing how they still go out of their way to have a one playoff game the night of Yom Kippur followed by a day game the very next day. I remember how pissed off I was in '86 when the Mets made the playoffs where two games were scheduled this way and how I felt that this was so inconsiderate and disrespectful. That's like having championship games on Christmas and Easter.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:47:51 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing another Sandy Koufax who will refuse to play in a playoff game if it falls out on Yom Kippur. It's amazing how they still go out of their way to have a one playoff game the night of Yom Kippur followed by a day game the very next day. I remember how pissed off I was in '86 when the Mets made the playoffs where two games were scheduled this way and how I felt that this was so inconsiderate and disrespectful. That's like having championship games on Christmas and Easter.
Looks like it happens regardless of religion.

"The first time that a pro football game was played on Christmas came in 1971 with a pair of playoff games slated for the holiday.  As many members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame will recall, they spent their Christmas that year competing in one of the two divisional playoff games scheduled that day."

"The Easter Epic is the nickname given to an National Hockey League Stanley Cup Playoff game between the New York Islanders and Washington Capitals, played April 18-19, 1987 at the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland. It is so named because the game started on Saturday evening but did not finish until the early hours of Easter Sunday."
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 07:28:17 PM »
Looks like it happens regardless of religion.

"The first time that a pro football game was played on Christmas came in 1971 with a pair of playoff games slated for the holiday.  As many members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame will recall, they spent their Christmas that year competing in one of the two divisional playoff games scheduled that day."

"The Easter Epic is the nickname given to an National Hockey League Stanley Cup Playoff game between the New York Islanders and Washington Capitals, played April 18-19, 1987 at the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland. It is so named because the game started on Saturday evening but did not finish until the early hours of Easter Sunday."

Sports organizations care nothing about morals and religion. They only care about ratings and profits. If they would avoid having games on certain religious holidays, it would only be for the reason that they would think that they would lose a profit if they would hold the game on that day.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 11:46:30 PM »
You guys aren't big sports fans apparently.  Well that's okay.  I can certainly see why you would be turned off by the elements of society that dominate most sports.  Incidentally, I have noticed the problem of games being scheduled on both Jewish and Christian holidays as well.  It should be corrected. 

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 11:49:46 PM »
I love sports, but I honestly don't follow baseball much.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

newman

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:00:30 AM »
I think pig racing should be promoted. On Fidays , too. ;D

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 12:42:03 AM »
I can't stand baseball.  I wouldn't even be able to watch it if instead of hormone-laden schvartzas all the players were Jews.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris