8 (40%)
None
0 (0%)
Both
7 (35%)
Devolution and Creationism
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Evolution, Creationism, non or both ?  (Read 5226 times)

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
Evolution, Creationism, non or both ?
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:03:17 AM »
I hope the poll is clear .
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
Re: Evolution, Creationism, non or both ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »
I believe in devolution, not evolution. And I beleive in creationism. There is no choice for me in this poll.  :'(

Wait a minute. I'm a global moderator! I've added my choice to the poll.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:32:36 PM by lubab »
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:08:30 PM »
I believe in devolution, not evolution. And I beleive in creationism. There is no choice for me in this poll.  :'(

lol
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TheStore

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 05:43:52 PM »
I belive G-d created everyone and everything in its current state, with the potential for natural selection.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »
Multiple lines of objective physical evidence point to no other conclusion but to accept evolution as a fact. This does not mean that the universe and world was not Divinely created. I believe that it was. I believe that evolution was guided, but that different species came about through an evolutionary process nonetheless.

I'm going to see Lucy at my local museum pretty soon. I'm pretty excited about it too.

I'm really into Biology and I've been a part of the evolution debate online for a while. I know most of the arguments back and forth, so if anyone has some (evidence based) questions I'll discuss them if I know the answer, and if I don't I'll try to find it.

Offline TheStore

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 06:27:21 PM »
the original Lucy was discarded as a fake.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 07:15:41 PM »
the original Lucy was discarded as a fake.

When did this occur? Where did you hear something like that?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 02:32:37 PM »
What's devolution?

The belief in accordance with the Torah (as expalained in the Midrash) that apes devolved from humans, not the other way around.

Kain was turned into an ape by G-d as a punishment for killing Abel.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 02:48:59 PM »
Quote from: lubab link=topic=8491.msg90789#msg90789 date=
Quote from: Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim link=topic=8491.msg90245#msg90245 date=
What's devolution?

The belief in accordance with the Torah (as expalained in the Midrash) that apes devolved from humans, not the other way around.

Kain was turned into an ape by G-d as a punishment for killing Abel.

Ahh.  I thought you meant that modern day humans are devolving into some lesser form of life.  Judging from what I see on the streets of Manhattan, I would have agreed with you. ;D
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
Yeah that is also true in a sense.

In general the world started out perfect and then we messed it up. The world keeps getting more crass and physical and gross, but ultimately to reveal G-dliness in the current generation is the ultimate feat and that's why the redemption will come to this generation.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 07:55:38 AM »
It is hard to argue against evolution given all the biological and paleontological evidence. That is not to say that G-d did not create the universe however.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 05:49:42 PM »

Yepp it makes sense. My Rabbi also said that as the generations go all fruits, foods, etc. loose their value and taste. The older generation enjoyed better produce then we do today, and also fruits were much bigger say 2,000 years ago then today. For example the Olive (I believe it was said to be the size of todays egg).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 06:28:52 AM »
Why should we be so inquisitive about the way Hashem created the world? Perhaps through guided evolution, perhaps He made everything as it is now. But why do we need to know? Will it make us better persons? Scientists spend a lot of time investigationg the origin of life, the origin of galaxies, the origin of everything..... But noone cares to explain how a clever and sophisticated civilization has the power to make a wonderfull technology, but is still unable to overcome Ietzer Hara

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 11:06:02 PM »
We should be inquisitive about everything in the natural world, including origins. This helps us to better understand the universe we live in.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 04:44:07 PM »
We should be inquisitive about everything in the natural world, including origins. This helps us to better understand the universe we live in.

Yes and it also helps us to better understand and come closer to G-d as we can learn more of the Creator through His creations in the same way one can get to know an artist through his works of art even in you never met him.

Realizing how G-d created the world helps us see His hand and everything and this helps a person in the service of G-d. 

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 10:38:08 PM »
I always feel closer to the Creator of the universe while studying nature. :) Sort of like appreciating any beautiful work of art helps you understand the artist better.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 06:44:47 AM »
That's a difficult question, but I've also taken some Biology courses though am not skilled in the subject by any means. However, I think you can believe in both Evolution and Creationism. Although they both seem to conflict sometimes with my Christian beliefs. I don't know, but I've heard some people say that whatever evolved on earth and in the universe was part of God's design and how it turned out?

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 02:12:23 PM »
Science is compatible with the torah, and cannot be dismissed. I think The world was created with a big bang, that G-d made, that is what it is talking about on "yom rishon"- a great book on this is "In the Beginning"- biblical creation and science, by Nathan Aviezer.

Offline yeshuadisciple

• Full JTFer
  • My crazy parrot
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 01:47:46 AM »
Creationism, and if by devolution you mean the creation is descending into greater chaos then I believe that too.  Early man must have been incredible in physical abilities and cognitive abilities.  With life spans of almost 1000 years and the creative genius implied by all the unique inventions by the 6th generation like metal working, musical instruments etc.  Some authors I've read suggest that the pre-flood world may have been as advanced or more so than ours, but the Bible says nothing of it because there wickedness overshadowed their technological accomplishments.   

a website I really enjoy is answersingenesis.org  They have loads of articles by mostly Phd. Scientists who reject evolution and uphold the Bible.
And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.  And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.
Zechariah 12:9-10

"Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy place.  "So you are to know and discern that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; it will be built again, with plaza and moat, even in times of distress.  "Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined.  "And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate."
Daniel 9:24-27

My lovely wife