Author Topic: Could Dana nternational be counted for a minyan?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Could Dana nternational be counted for a minyan?
« on: May 13, 2018, 12:17:49 AM »
Could Dana International be counted for a minyan & would listening to he/she/it constitute kol isha?
Any thoughts?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Could Dana nternational be counted for a minyan?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:27:01 PM »
I think there should be a warning saying that it's not a real woman in case a man might be attracted to a female singer. I remember in 1998 when that animal "won", rabbis that hold by Kol Isha said it's okay to listen if people know it's really a man. So the people that hold by Kol Isha say that opposite of what I said about it. That animal doesn't have a good voice anyway so what is there to be attracted to? I wonder if Bruce Jenner would be attracted to him? He only likes women and he considers transsexual men to be women or does he only like real women and wishes he were a real lesbian?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:34:57 AM »
Mutilated Jewish men, if they did it or someone else did, are still Jewish men. No obviously they can't be counted for a minyan like anyone who doesn't keep shabbos, but were he to make teshuva and still look mutilated, he can be part of a minyan, unless there's something I missed.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 01:41:28 AM »
Mutilated Jewish men, if they did it or someone else did, are still Jewish men. No obviously they can't be counted for a minyan like anyone who doesn't keep shabbos, but were he to make teshuva and still look mutilated, he can be part of a minyan, unless there's something I missed.

People that keep don't Shabbat CAN be counted in a minyan.

Offline Yehudayaakov

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 09:27:12 AM »
Brrrk.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »

People that keep don't Shabbat CAN be counted in a minyan.

Uh no. If you respond amen to the brachas in amidah repetition with such a minyan, you have a serious problem. The only people who say you can is Chabad, and not if you know for sure, they're Jews and we're supposed to assume the best, so if we don't know we assume they keep shabbat 100% and the sin is alleviated because we didn't know. It's still using the Name in vain.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »
Also, saying it's not sexy isn't a real argument, or a girl who you think isn't sexy can sing and someone else will find it that. Since he had a surgery to sound like a woman and tries to hit notes that women can hit and arouse men, maybe you can't, although religious Jews generally wouldn't listen to a person like that in the first place no matter what he sounds like. It would be interesting to see where the line is here. What if he didn't change his voice surgically at all, and just was a superb imitator?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »
Also, saying it's not sexy isn't a real argument, or a girl who you think isn't sexy can sing and someone else will find it that. Since he had a surgery to sound like a woman and tries to hit notes that women can hit and arouse men, maybe you can't, although religious Jews generally wouldn't listen to a person like that in the first place no matter what he sounds like. It would be interesting to see where the line is here. What if he didn't change his voice surgically at all, and just was a superb imitator?

I meant that men that listen to women singing should be warned that it's not a woman so they wouldn't have an attraction to a man mistaken for a woman.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »

I meant that men that listen to women singing should be warned that it's not a woman so they wouldn't have an attraction to a man mistaken for a woman.

Oi. So you can argue it's even worse than listening to a sexy girl sing a sexy song and get all aroused for her then.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 04:10:59 PM »
Reform minyan sure.