Author Topic: Hello from Shangri - La  (Read 25257 times)

bullcat jr.

Re: Hello from Shangri - La
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2007, 08:21:10 PM »
I found it!
The houses are part of Hunter College now.
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/UES/UES035.htm

Thats the ones !! President Eisenhower owned one home during his life where was that located?
I know the answer!  His home was in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
I visited his house with my family.   ;)

My Mom just broke a glass that we got there.  
Do you know what game Eisenhower liked to play?
Pictures of him playing it were on the glass that my Mom broke.   ;)
PS We found a clue in the picture.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2007, 08:59:14 PM »
I found it!
The houses are part of Hunter College now.
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/UES/UES035.htm

Thats the ones !! President Eisenhower owned one home during his life where was that located?
I know the answer!  His home was in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
I visited his house with my family.   ;)

My Mom just broke a glass that we got there. 
Do you know what game Eisenhower liked to play?
Pictures of him playing it were on the glass that my Mom broke.   ;)
PS We found a clue in the picture.
Boy that was quick. Its a nice house to visit and I am glad to hear that you were there. Ike use to love to play golf. He had a course set up behind his home and if you look in the photo you posted you will see it in the picture. Ike was the  president when I was born and he was also the first president that I remember. I have also visited Ike's house twice. The first time was many years ago around 1989. On that visit an interesting old man who was Mamie Eisenhower's doctor before she died gave the tour. He had visited the home many time's when Ike and Mamie were alive and had many stories to tell. After the tour was over and the group dispersed he talked with me about Ike and Mamie for quite a while. Ike's home was actually a working farm and he ran it after he left the White House. The nice thing about Ike's home is that it is built along the edge of Civil War battle field and there are miles of open space around it. If anyone visits Gettysburg Pa this place is a must see. Down the road is General Lee's Headquarters and restaurant and just up the street is the Gettysburg historical center with hours of things to see.
Who was Ike's vice president?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 06:46:56 PM by cjd »
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2007, 09:56:05 PM »
Funny you should say Ike's house was a working farm.
BullCat Jr. remembered seeing a tractor.  She has an excellent memory for small details.
You're right - it was a great place to visit.
Very interesting and it was impressive being right in the middle of all those Civil War Battle Fields.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

kellymaureen

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2007, 10:01:19 PM »
I love your dancing kitty avatar ;D

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2007, 10:12:02 PM »
YEa ok yours is pretty cute kid!

bullcat jr.

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »
Richard Nixon was the thirty-sixth Vice President of the United States, serving in the administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953–1961).

Bill Clinton was the president when I was born.   :'(

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2007, 08:10:29 PM »
My kids like your cat!

bullcat jr.

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2007, 08:20:18 PM »
My kids like your cat!
They do?  That's cool!  Thank You.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2007, 08:30:07 PM »
Kool cat says my daughter sarah!

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2007, 08:43:50 PM »

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2007, 05:49:25 PM »
Welcome bullcat jr. great to have you on the forum.  I also admit that I like your kitty avatar, it's too cute!  You seem like a smart girl, just like your mom.   ;)
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2007, 08:28:19 PM »
Richard Nixon was the thirty-sixth Vice President of the United States, serving in the administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953–1961).

Bill Clinton was the president when I was born.   :'(

Yes Nixon is the right answer! You guys are very good. Now for a harder question. Nixon would spend his time off in a place called the "western white house" See if you can find out where that was.  Hint...Its a two word name and the first letters in the name of the place is S.C.  So Bill Clinton was president when you were born ;D I like my president better( Ike ) He was also a great Army General.

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2007, 01:09:10 AM »
Sorry to hear that about Clinton...  He was such a deprave animal.  I tend to prefer people like Joseph McCarthy, General Douglas MacArthur or the 1964 Barry Goldwater in all honesty.  There hasn't been any real "activist" or righteous politicians since.  All of these were like the Michael Savages of Politics...  :) 

I can remember the Nixon days myself......  Archie Bunker was right... ;)
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

bullcat jr.

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2007, 09:05:42 PM »
CJD this is what we found out for President Nixon.
He had a home in San Clemente California named Casa Pacifica.
We found this picture of him on the beach in San Clemente.
Not one of his house.

Nixon on the beach at San Clemente with King Timahoe, November 1971

Do you know if he had any other pets?

bullcat jr.

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2007, 09:06:48 PM »
MarZutra I'm going to look up the people you like - with my Mom.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2007, 09:32:14 PM »
CJD this is what we found out for President Nixon.
He had a home in San Clemente California named Casa Pacifica.
We found this picture of him on the beach in San Clemente.
Not one of his house.

Nixon on the beach at San Clemente with King Timahoe, November 1971

Do you know if he had any other pets?
He had a dog named Checkers before he was vice president. It seem he was in trouble over some donation money and a story about how he got the dog saved the day. You are right about San Clemente here is a web site with some great pictures of Nixon's home.
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/186962/
Who was Nixon's vice presidents? He had two of them just like FDR. See if you can come up with the names of all four.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2007, 10:51:15 PM »
Search as we might we couldn't find any pictures of the outside of Nixon's home in San Clemente.  Thanks for sharing that link!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2007, 10:49:21 AM »
Search as we might we couldn't find any pictures of the outside of Nixon's home in San Clemente.  Thanks for sharing that link!

Nixon had a few other dogs along with King Timahoe during his time in the White House he had a Vicky the poodle  and Pasha the terrier.

I am not 100% sure but I think the fellow in the far right corner of the picture with the blue shirt and tie is the grandson of a very popular prior president who could he be? Hint!! I think along with being president he was very well known during World War 2.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2007, 03:36:51 PM »
He always seemed nice and genuine.[Nixon]

bullcat jr.

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »
FDR had 3 vice presidents :

March 4, 1933 - January 20, 1941
John Nance Garner of Texas

January 20, 1941 - January 20, 1945
Henry Agard Wallace of Iowa

January 20, 1945 - April 12, 1945
Harry S. Truman of Missouri

Nixon had 2

Spiro T. Agnew (R)6  1969–1973  Maryland

Gerald R. Ford (R)7  1973–1974  Nebraska  

bullcat jr.

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »

Nixon had a few other dogs along with King Timahoe during his time in the White House he had a Vicky the poodle  and Pasha the terrier.

I am not 100% sure but I think the fellow in the far right corner of the picture with the blue shirt and tie is the grandson of a very popular prior president who could he be? Hint!! I think along with being president he was very well known during World War 2.
He was lucky to have 3 dogs.  Mommy said we can only have one.  :'(

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2007, 05:26:51 PM »
Re:  "...He always seemed nice and genuine.[Nixon]..."

Huh?

One thing that has never ceased to amaze me, is that every single person from within various levels of the U.S. government who knew Nixon, all claim still to this day that he was the most intelligent person whom they had ever met in their entire lives!

My favorite story about "Tricky Dick" is the one where Elvis sought an audience with him, and was ushered into the Oval Office, where he greeted Nixon warmly, and asked him to appoint him to the Drug Enforcement Administration so that he could help get American kids off of drugs.  The two men then posed for publicity photos...Elvis wearing one of his outfits with a huge jeweled belt buckle and a long purple cape.

Shortly after Elvis "left the building", Nixon is said to have turned to one of his aides, and with dumbfounded seriousness, asked "Who the hell was that guy??!?"

bullcat jr.

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2007, 05:33:20 PM »
Julie Nixon was married to David Eisenhower.  Grandson of President Eisenhower. 
I needed lots of help with that one!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2007, 05:40:09 PM »
FDR had 3 vice presidents :

March 4, 1933 - January 20, 1941
John Nance Garner of Texas

January 20, 1941 - January 20, 1945
Henry Agard Wallace of Iowa

January 20, 1945 - April 12, 1945
Harry S. Truman of Missouri

Nixon had 2

Spiro T. Agnew (R)6  1969–1973  Maryland

Gerald R. Ford (R)7  1973–1974  Nebraska 
Great work and you 100% correct about FDR having 3 vp's I completely forgot about Garner. I am very embarrassed over that because I had completely disregarded him :-[. I have read many books on FDR and I am amazed on how that fact just slipped my mind. I guess old Harry Truman was about the most well known of FDR's vp's because he went on to be president. During his time in the White House Harry Truman's daughters piano almost fell through the floor of the White House. It seems that the old place had become decrepit. During Truman's presidency the entire interior of the White House was gutted out and rebuilt inside the original walls using a steel structure. They tried to reuse  as much of the original fixtures as possible to make it look as it did before the rebuild. Three questions. What was Truman's daughters first name? Hint, she writes great spy and mystery novels. Where did the Truman family reside during the renovation? And what very visible change did old Harry make to the outside of the White House?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »
Julie Nixon was married to David Eisenhower.  Grandson of President Eisenhower. 
I needed lots of help with that one!
Well you got it right. Do you know he is the person that Camp David is named after? His grandfather President Eisenhower renamed the place FDR called Shangri-La after him during his time in office and the name  seems to have stuck. Here is a great site showing Camp David ( Shangri-La ) It's to bad that this great spot with so much history had to be desecrated by Jimmy Carter and his Camp David Peace accords.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_David