Author Topic: Brushing one's teeth during Yom Kippur  (Read 21225 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Brushing one's teeth during Yom Kippur
« on: September 20, 2007, 07:14:31 PM »
Rationalthought asked me a thoughtful question and here's my answer:

Here's the thing...I'm not orthodox so my advice will not be according to halacha...but this is what I personally do.

I brush my teeth after dinner before Kol Nidre
I brush my teeth in the morning before I go to temple...why? Because I don't want the person next to me in the shul to smell my bad breath and be unable to concentrate on his prayers to Gd.  Certainly, I would extend that curtiousy to him as I woudl hope he woudl do the same for me.

But let's say you are super religious and are afraid that you might swallow some toothpaste and enjoy it, then brush your teeth and floss before Kol Nidre after dinner and you'll be fine.  Maybe have some morning breath, but oh well.

honestly, toothpaste is not food nor enjoyable to swallow...Technically, if one were afraid to swallow toothpaste for the sake of the fence around the Torah, couldn't one swallow his own saliva when he was thirsty during Yom Kippur?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Brushing one's teeth during Yom Kippur
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:32:56 PM »
You're not even supposed to put inedible stuff into your mouth to wet it.

And people wonder why I'm secular.  ::)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:36:01 PM »
Its once a year, before the holy day comes in brush your teeth really well, flose, and use scope.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 09:41:21 PM »
listen i respect those who also refrain from even placing inedible things in the mouth: finger nails, pencils, saliva, boogers etc...

however, this rule is a fence and if it is goign to cause someone to be tempted to eat and forget Gd, then they shouldn't do it. To each their own.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 09:47:30 PM »
 the question would be if a person is allowed to rinse his mouth out just with water, while of course spitting it out without swallowing? Just a little water to swirl around in his mouth in the morning to clean out his mouth. The question today, asks if that is permissible. Maran clearly writes in Seman 567 that this is certainly forbidden on the fast days of Yom Kippur and Tisha BeAv. And therefore the Halacha, when one wakes in the morning, or during the course of the day, it is forbidden to rinse his mouth with water even if he has his head down and even if it’s a little water, and even if he’s careful to spit it all out.

http://dailyhalacha.com/displayRead.asp?readID=386
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 09:49:34 PM »
the question would be if a person is allowed to rinse his mouth out just with water, while of course spitting it out without swallowing? Just a little water to swirl around in his mouth in the morning to clean out his mouth. The question today, asks if that is permissible. Maran clearly writes in Seman 567 that this is certainly forbidden on the fast days of Yom Kippur and Tisha BeAv. And therefore the Halacha, when one wakes in the morning, or during the course of the day, it is forbidden to rinse his mouth with water even if he has his head down and even if it’s a little water, and even if he’s careful to spit it all out.

What is the Torah law say exactly?  I want to compare these words with the Torah law.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:51:16 PM »
He means that according to the letter of the law as long as you are not swallowing the water it is fine.  But if you want to be stringent and follow the advice of the Sages, then don't do it. 

Dannycookie and Tzvi, let me explain something that the Charedim and most Jews mix up all all the time and this causes Charedim to drive away their fellow Jews by saying things are Rabbinically mandated when they are not and it is a grave sin to veer to the left or right of the Torah.  In the Shulchan Aruch and in Halacha there are four categories where things fall and you must try to figure out before you say something what category it falls in to in order to not drive away people that are on a lower level then you are.  For example, telling our friend Dannycookie something implying that you will go to hell for rinsing your mouth with water on Yom Kippur because it is a Rabbinic commandment is wrong since he will logically say this is going to an extreme and it is going to an extreme since it is not true.  THIS IS NOT A RABBINIC COMMANDMENT so before you write anything, say that this is what some Rabbis say one should not do, but according to the letter of the law there is nothing wrong with it since it doesn't violate Rabbinic or Torah law. 

THE FOUR CATEGORIES ARE:
1.  Some stuff are prohibited biblically and fall into the category of the 613 commandments. 
2.  Some stuff are Rabbinically prohibited and you can find all the Rabbinical decrees ever made in the Talmud.  <HERE IS THE PROBLEM, many religious jews like Tzvi think that everything said as "forbidden" in the commentaries belong here and it is NOT TRUE.  This only serves to distort your view of the Torah and drive away Jews from Judaism.
3.  A lot of stuff said are based on things neither biblically or Rabbinically prohibited, but on the commentator's opinion of what a righteous G-d fearing person should and should not do.  According to the letter of the Law, if you don't follow the things under this category you are practicing Orthodox Judaism acceptably and will not be punished for it.  However, there is an exception depending on your holyness level where you can be punished for not doing things in this category as Moses was punished for not sanctifying G-d's name enough, but he didn't violate any Rabbinic or Biblical law.  Things in this category should NEVER be emphasized and pushed onto not practicing Orthodox Jews since they are not on the level to practice them and it is overwhelming for them.  Simply tell them what is Rabbinically and Biblically prohibited and list this as a side note.
4.  A lot of stuff said in the Halacha is based on custom.  Jewish custom must be followed since following your tradition is the basis of Judaism and the Rabbis have the saying "Custom is Torah".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:07:04 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:54:12 PM »

What is the Torah law say exactly?  I want to compare these words with the Torah law.

Thats Maran- the Shulhan Aruh- The Code Of Jewish Law. This is the Torah Law.

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:57:22 PM »

Have you tried doing it?
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:58:32 PM »

what is written in shemot and devarim?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 10:01:49 PM »

The law doesnt go according to the literal translation- you probably cant learn 1 law just with the written Torah. I wont say (Because I dont know) that brushing your teath is on the same level as eating food on Yom Kippur, but why would you want to risk it?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 10:09:05 PM »

The law doesnt go according to the literal translation- you probably cant learn 1 law just with the written Torah. I wont say (Because I dont know) that brushing your teath is on the same level as eating food on Yom Kippur, but why would you want to risk it?

listen, it's a fence...and some people do not need to brush their teeth...I'm personally not going to encourage someone to do it. However I will tell them if they ask if it is ok that i don't know if it is ok, but this is what i do because etc...it's best that you ask your rabbi what you should do...not me.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:49 PM »
Read my above post Dannycookie and Tzvi.  To my knowledge, this is not a fence but is the advice of the Rabbis.  As long as dannycookie doesn't eat drink take a bath, wear leather or put fragrance on he is fine. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:12:47 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 10:16:10 PM »
He means that according to the letter of the law as long as you are not swallowing the water it is fine.  But if you want to be stringent and follow the advice of the Sages, then don't do it. 

Dannycookie and Tzvi, let me explain something that the Charedim and most Jews mix up all all the time and this causes Charedim to drive away their fellow Jews by saying things are Rabbinically mandated when they are not and it is a grave sin to veer to the left or right of the Torah.  In the Shulchan Aruch and in Halacha there are four categories where things fall and you must try to figure out before you say something what category it falls in to in order to not drive away people that are on a lower level then you are.  For example, telling our friend Dannycookie something implying that you will go to hell for rinsing your mouth with water on Yom Kippur because it is a Rabbinic commandment is wrong since he will logically say this is going to an extreme and it is going to an extreme since it is not true.  THIS IS NOT A RABBINIC COMMANDMENT so before you write anything, say that this is what some Rabbis say one should not do, but according to the letter of the law there is nothing wrong with it since it doesn't violate Rabbinic or Torah law. 

THE FOUR CATEGORIES ARE:
1.  Some stuff are prohibited biblically and fall into the category of the 613 commandments. 
2.  Some stuff are Rabbinically prohibited and you can find all the Rabbinical decrees ever made in the Talmud.  <HERE IS THE PROBLEM, many religious jews like Tzvi think that everything said as "forbidden" in the commentaries belong here and it is NOT TRUE.  This only serves to distort your view of the Torah and drive away Jews from Judaism.
3.  A lot of stuff said are based on things neither biblically or Rabbinically prohibited, but on the commentator's opinion of what a righteous G-d fearing person should and should not do.  According to the letter of the Law, if you don't follow the things under this category you are practicing Orthodox Judaism acceptably and will not be punished for it.  However, there is an exception depending on your holyness level where you can be punished for not doing things in this category as Moses was punished for not sanctifying G-d's name enough, but he didn't violate any Rabbinic or Biblical law.  Things in this category should NEVER be emphasized and pushed onto not practicing Orthodox Jews since they are not on the level to practice them and it is overwhelming for them.  Simply tell them what is Rabbinically and Biblically prohibited and list this as a side note.
4.  A lot of stuff said in the Halacha is based on custom.  Jewish custom must be followed since following your tradition is the basis of Judaism and the Rabbis have the saying "Custom is Torah".

I completely missed the last two paragraphs..thanks...

I'll add to point #4.  Custom is what sets us apart from other nations...we should not be like other nations.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 10:42:37 PM »

Have you tried doing it?

Tried doing what?  :)

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 12:52:55 AM »

Have you tried doing it?

Tried doing what?  :)

Keeping Yom Kippur
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 08:48:14 AM »
Ever? Yes as a child, not understanding anything and counting down the time to when it was over.

Now, not really, I don't go to synagogue because I figured out a long time ago that since I don't understand hebrew, and don't know the rituals, it is pretty much pointless, they might as well be doing the service in Greek, and not being a hypocrite, I won't go not understanding anything, and simply going through the motions for appearances, to me that's worse than not going at all;

Also, in my estimation, going to a reformed service worse then not going at all, I agree it's better to convert to Christianity than to be reformed, at least Christians aren't watering down Judaism, so I'm honest with myself and ultimately with G-d, better I don't go, then go and spend the whole time looking at my watch wondering when it's going to finish, your heart has to be in it or why bother. I do fast out of respect, but goodness knows I'll brush my teeth.

Here's the thing, I'm secular, but I'm not a self hating imbecile. Kahane's got it right, Chaim's got it right, Israel is for the Jews.   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 09:01:05 AM by NewYorker »

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 05:26:30 PM »
How about Soap, Yacov mentioned in another post that the use of soap and excessive bathing is prohibited, why?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 10:12:31 PM »
How about Soap, Yacov mentioned in another post that the use of soap and excessive bathing is prohibited, why?

the key word is "bathing". Bathing is supposed to be a luxourious comforting thing to do...and it is enjoyable...

IN my opinion, if one showers for the sake of hygiene...in and out...put on the deoderant, but not perfume or cologne..it should be fine...but that's my opinion.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 10:40:53 PM »
Deodorant is wrong.

I'm not going to argue with you...since I"m not a rabbi or anything...to each their own..

However, my armpits smell...i don't think it's fair for my neigbor in the temple to smell my dirty armpits while they are trying to concentrate on Gd's forgiveness...and likewise vice versa.

Cologne or aftershave, on the other hand, makes someone smell good.  Therefore, I can understand a prohibition against it for certain people who want to follow those kinds of rules.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »
You're not allowed to wash your hands past the knuckles with no soap and a minimal amount of water.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 12:18:15 AM »
next time their will be a fast day, I highly recomend eating an apple before the fast day starts. It cleans your mouth well and keeps you full providing energy. (also eat meat and other things before and brush your teeth), I think apples are just a great fruit which provides one with a lot of blessing even not on a fast dad. An appple a day keeps the docter away.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 12:19:45 AM »
You're not allowed to wash your hands past the knuckles with no soap and a minimal amount of water.

This is a fence to prevent one from bathing or let alone enjoy bathing during Yom Kippur. Some people need this fence so not to be tempted from self-denial.

However, when i wash my hands on Yom Kippur i will go almost to my wrists and use soap so that I dont' have bacteria from my you know where on it especially if I"m going to shake hands with other people...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 12:21:05 AM »
next time their will be a fast day, I highly recomend eating an apple before the fast day starts. It cleans your mouth well and keeps you full providing energy. (also eat meat and other things before and brush your teeth), I think apples are just a great fruit which provides one with a lot of blessing even not on a fast dad. An appple a day keeps the docter away.

actually, that's true.  If someone were on a diet and wanted to eat less, Apples make a great meal and are very filling.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 07:38:53 PM »
When I was aiming to convert, I avoided brushing my teeth and washing. No desodorant, no perfume, no bath..... Only washing my hands in the morning for prayer. I also avoided lether shoes and hearing music even accidentally. I had a fast meal, with bread and honey just after Mincha, brushed my teeth, took 4 or 5 glasses of water, and then.... nothing into my mouth since the candles were lit. And the same for Tisha BeAv. I also avoided somoking in all fasts, even the short ones, but now I have read that it is permitted by some Sefaradim to smoke in Tisha BeAv after Middady.