Israel > The JTF Hebrew Club

?איך אמרים בעברית

(1/3) > >>

Southern Noachide:
Yes folks, after being online from home for almost 22 years, I finally have a Hebrew font on my keyboard!  Though it's taking me a long time to memorize the keys.

I have been trying to learn Israeli Hebrew for a very long time.  I thought the relative ease with which I learned Biblical Hebrew would help me, but it seems to have only sabotaged me.  I tune out the beginning of any lesson because it covers stuff I already know, but by the time I rejoin the lesson they've already moved beyond me.  I have no one to practice with and thought perhaps you folks here could help me out from time to time.

I know the very common and basic words, of course, but I have great difficulty translating various phrases because I don't have the vocabulary or know the syntax.  I'm going to try to type a phrase in Hebrew now and hope you will correct me.

The phrase is from one of my all time favorite movies, The Secret of NIMH (1982).

First the English:

"You can open any door if you only have the key."

Here is my instinctual Hebrew translation based on what little I know now:

.אפשר לפתוך כול דלת רק אם יש לך המפתח

What all did I say wrong?

Thank you all!

Hrvatski Noahid:
Congratulations for the Hebrew font! I hope you get an answer!

Zelhar:
 you got it correct other than the spelling for  כל.
If you want to keep the subject as you rather than using general "subjectless" form (I have no idea how you call it neither in Hebrew nor in English)
you could say:
אתה יכול לפתוח ...

Hrvatski Noahid:

--- Quote from: Zelhar on February 01, 2019, 12:21:21 PM --- you got it correct other than the spelling for  כל.
If you want to keep the subject as you rather than using general "subjectless" form (I have no idea how you call it neither in Hebrew nor in English)
you could say:
אתה יכול לפתוח ...

--- End quote ---

It is called "you" understood: https://www.thoughtco.com/you-understood-grammar-1692618

Binyamin Yisrael:

--- Quote from: Southern Noachide on January 31, 2019, 07:32:28 PM ---First the English:

"You can open any door if you only have the key."

Here is my instinctual Hebrew translation based on what little I know now:

.אפשר לפתוך כול דלת רק אם יש לך המפתח

What all did I say wrong?

Thank you all!
--- End quote ---

Google says: "אתה יכול לפתוח כל דלת אם יש לך רק את המפתח.".

I think it should be "Ata yachol liftoach kol delet, ha'im haya lecha ha'mafteach" or "Ata yachol liftoach kol delet, ach haya lecha ha'mafteach" or "Ata yachol liftoach kol delet, ilu haya lecha ha'mafteach".

I think it's saying "You can open any door if only you had the key.". I don't know if it's translatable exactly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version