Israel > The JTF Hebrew Club

?איך אמרים בעברית

<< < (2/3) > >>

Southern Noachide:

--- Quote from: Binyamin Yisrael on February 02, 2019, 08:33:37 PM ---

Google says: "אתה יכול לפתוח כל דלת אם יש לך רק את המפתח.".

I think it should be "Ata yachol liftoach kol delet, ha'im haya lecha ha'mafteach" or "Ata yachol liftoach kol delet, ach haya lecha ha'mafteach" or "Ata yachol liftoach kol delet, ilu haya lecha ha'mafteach".

I think it's saying "You can open any door if only you had the key.". I don't know if it's translatable exactly.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that's a far more literal translation.  I was trying to think how a Hebrew speaker would get the same idea across.

However, I don't think  את  is used with  יש .

Southern Noachide:
I have two more questions.

If I want to say "I would like to do so-and-so" would it be

הייתי אוהב לעשית מהשהו?  (Still having trouble with punctuation marks!)

I know that Hebrew doesn't have as many past tenses as English, so how would one say "I have been doing" something recently or "I have done" something in the past?

Please forgive my ignorance.  I really want to learn Israeli Hebrew but every time I try I seem to run into another brick wall.

Zelhar:

--- Quote from: Binyamin Yisrael on February 02, 2019, 08:33:37 PM ---

Google says: "אתה יכול לפתוח כל דלת אם יש לך רק את המפתח.".

I think it should be "Ata yachol liftoach kol delet, ha'im haya lecha ha'mafteach" or "Ata yachol liftoach kol delet, ach haya lecha ha'mafteach" or "Ata yachol liftoach kol delet, ilu haya lecha ha'mafteach".

I think it's saying "You can open any door if only you had the key.". I don't know if it's translatable exactly.

--- End quote ---
רק אם = only if
אם = if

Zelhar:
I would say: " הייתי רוצה לעשות כך וכך"
and you cann also formulate it with normal tenses
זה משהו שאולי ארצה לעשות

also note:
הייתי עושה זאת = I would have done it (hypothetical past tense,  ...but I didn't do it...)

to your second question: I think we normally use present tense and the temporal לאחרונה = recently
משהו שהתעסקתי בו\אתו לאחרונה
משהו שאני עושה לאחרונה

and I have done it without context, I would say just use normal past tense it's not much of a different from past simple (I did it, I have done it)
to say I used to do it: נהגתי לעשות ...

--- Quote from: Southern Noachide on February 02, 2019, 09:45:40 PM ---I have two more questions.

If I want to say "I would like to do so-and-so" would it be

הייתי אוהב לעשית מהשהו?  (Still having trouble with punctuation marks!)

I know that Hebrew doesn't have as many past tenses as English, so how would one say "I have been doing" something recently or "I have done" something in the past?

Please forgive my ignorance.  I really want to learn Israeli Hebrew but every time I try I seem to run into another brick wall.

--- End quote ---

Southern Noachide:
Thank you, Zelhar.

It was so easy for me to learn Biblical Hebrew, but as for Israeli Hebrew classes, materials, workbooks...nothing has worked so far.

I sometimes wonder if there is some "block" in the way that, should I ever get through it, would make it much easier to learn.  Of course, going into the lowest classes where they were just beginning to study some of the stuff I already knew made me impatient and frustrated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version