Author Topic: Why is it that there are signs in shul on the women's side to dress modestly?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Why is it that there are signs in shul on the women's side to dress modestly in shuls here in Israel but no signs demanding that t he men dress properly?                                                                                                                                                                                             I think it is disgusting & disrespectful that men come into shul on Shabbos wearing shorts & tee shirts & sandals with no socks as it is not a beach,pool or gym!!!                                                                                                                                                                                    No rav goes to shul like that & that should be our guideline not to come to shul like an Arab or Mexican peasant!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:06:07 AM by ChabadKahanist »

Online Hrvatski Noahid

• Silver Star JTF Member
Why is it that there are signs in shul on the women's side to dress modestly in shuls here in Israel but no signs demanding that t he men dress properly?                                                                                                                                                                                             I think it is disgusting & disrespectful that men come into shul on Shabbos wearing shorts & tee shirts & sandals with no socks as it is not a beach,pool or gym!!!                                                                                                                                                                                    No rav goes to shul like that & that should be our guideline not to come to shul like an Arab or Mexican peasant!!!!!

Rav Schulman wrote the following:

"It is not immodest for a man to wear short sleeves, e.g. a T-shirt. We know this because when a Jewish man puts on tefillin, his arm is uncovered to a little above the middle of the bicep.

It is not immodest for a man to wear pants that go down to just above his knees. We know this from the clothing of a regular Jewish priest [kohen] when serving in the Holy Temple. One of their garments was their pants, which reached from the waist to just above the knees. These pants are not mentioned in the list of priestly garments that are described as being worn for "honor and glory," because their stated purpose is for "common decency."

Although for the rest of the year the regular Jewish priests usually also wore a tunic that reached from their shoulders to their feet for more modesty, on the Eve of Passover they wore a just shorter-length shirt and their pants, because of all the blood on the Temple floor from the sacrificial Passover lambs.

The obligation for men to follow their traditional standards of modesty is not as strict as the obligation for women to follow their traditional standards of modesty."
https://www.asknoah.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=9&page=2&highlight=modesty+for+men
Gentiles are obligated to fulfill the Seven Noahide Commandments because they are the eternal command of God, transmitted through Moses our teacher in the Torah. The main and best book on details of Noahide observance is "The Divine Code" by Rabbi Moshe Weiner.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCffOR1kc1bBK9HwP8kQdSXg
Telegram: https://t.me/JewishTaskForceChat
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Noachide/

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Still it is not proper attire to wear on Shabbos when one should dress like he would dress if he went in front of a king,president or prime minister these people are not Kohanim serving in the bais hamikdash & our rabbis should serve is a model & example how to come proper dressed on shabbbos & holidays!!!! Such attire is proper for a beach,swimming pool or gym but not for Shabbos!!!  People at minimum should come dressed with a clean & pressed shirt tucked in & not hanging out like a slob & with dress pants not shorts it is not proper. Show me one rav be it chareidi or modern orthodox that comes to shul in sandals with no socks,shorts & tee shirts on Shabbos it is unheard of!!!

Online Hrvatski Noahid

• Silver Star JTF Member
Still it is not proper attire to wear on Shabbos when one should dress like he would dress if he went in front of a king,president or prime minister these people are not Kohanim serving in the bais hamikdash & our rabbis should serve is a model & example how to come proper dressed on shabbbos & holidays!!!! Such attire is proper for a beach,swimming pool or gym but not for Shabbos!!!  People at minimum should come dressed with a clean & pressed shirt tucked in & not hanging out like a slob & with dress pants not shorts it is not proper. Show me one rav be it chareidi or modern orthodox that comes to shul in sandals with no socks,shorts & tee shirts on Shabbos it is unheard of!!!

You know much more about Shabbos attire than I do, so I won't argue the point further.
Gentiles are obligated to fulfill the Seven Noahide Commandments because they are the eternal command of God, transmitted through Moses our teacher in the Torah. The main and best book on details of Noahide observance is "The Divine Code" by Rabbi Moshe Weiner.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCffOR1kc1bBK9HwP8kQdSXg
Telegram: https://t.me/JewishTaskForceChat
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Noachide/

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Women are not allowed to dress to sexy because it will be a "distraction" to the men in the shul. 

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Why is it proper for women to wear a skirt that does not cover her entire legs while a man should not wear shorts to synagogue? Even in the middle of the week, men are discouraged from wearing shorts. Most men's shorts are longer than the length of a woman's skirt, even relatively modest skirts. Women are not aroused by a man's legs like men are by a woman's legs.

Most men's shirts are modest. That is no the case with most secular "dress shirts/dresses" women wear which expose their backs and shoulders. Women's shorts are just as bad as short skirts or bikini bottoms.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
What about men wearing long jeans pants?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:03:35 AM by Binyamin Yisrael »

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Why is it proper for women to wear a skirt that does not cover her entire legs while a man should not wear shorts to synagogue? Even in the middle of the week, men are discouraged from wearing shorts. Most men's shorts are longer than the length of a woman's skirt, even relatively modest skirts. Women are not aroused by a man's legs like men are by a woman's legs.

Most men's shirts are modest. That is no the case with most secular "dress shirts/dresses" women wear which expose their backs and shoulders. Women's shorts are just as bad as short skirts or bikini bottoms.
There is a sign in my shul for women to dress modestly.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
What about men wearing longs jeans pants?
I asked a rav  many years ago about this for a friend of mine who wears overalls as his clothing of choice & the rav who was a Chabad rav answered as follows as long as it is clean & neat with no holes & worn expressly for Shabbos why not? And he added the same would apply to jeans

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
There is a sign in my shul for women to dress modestly.

Do they make women wear a skirt or dress that reaches her shoes? If women can expose any part of their legs, then a ban on shorts for men is a double standard.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer

Do they make women wear a skirt or dress that reaches her shoes? If women can expose any part of their legs, then a ban on shorts for men is a double standard.
As far as I know not