Author Topic: The Truth About Stand Up Comedy  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Noachide

• Pro JTFer

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: The Truth About Stand Up Comedy
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 01:57:16 AM »
I know a Rabbi who does it. You can make fun in innocent ways without it being lashon hara, like when he described the painful process of bathing his kids. Furthermore, these are the only people that can get past political correctness and make fun of the nonsense being forced on people. He's correct about his public humiliation thing, even though my heart is telling me I can't condemn all the mothers that embarrass their children to hell and the reality is much more complicated than the three minute video. However, we know that people who cause happiness get great rewards for it. When you make fun of someone, it's slightly relieving to not be focused on your own faults, but you have not become more happy. Sometimes, politicans and muslims and all kinds of people doing bad things need to be attacked with humor. Rav Kahane was a master of making fun of evil things, and you could compile all his jokes into a pretty funny segment. This is one of those areas where the right thing to do is a "great mystery", which Rav Kahane explains in the Jewish idea, that the exact right thing to do in the situation isn't always overly obvious.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge