Author Topic: Why do some orthodox Jewish organizations white wash their history?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
For instance Young Israel being co-founded by Mordechai Kaplan being omitted & one of the Baal HaTanya's sons being a meshumad & the Lubavitcher Rebbe's brother being a communist & total apikorus with another brother,HY"D who was in a mental institution & murdered by the nazis?

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
Re: Why do some orthodox Jewish organizations white wash their history?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »
Thats tragic.
I think remembering wrongs done is a good thing.  It helps from repeating.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 03:42:54 AM »
Kinda things we talk about hush hush, it's not something you want to promote because the guy fell off and it's not the message. It's like if you're gonna promote your family, you'll say, "our family's great", not "my dad left after mom caught him with hookers", especially if everyone else in the family are great people. It's the kinda thing when you're in the group you'll get to know. It's not something the groups want to be associated with. This is unfair to call it white washing, or at least a semantics mishap.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 05:45:45 AM »
Kinda things we talk about hush hush, it's not something you want to promote because the guy fell off and it's not the message. It's like if you're gonna promote your family, you'll say, "our family's great", not "my dad left after mom caught him with hookers", especially if everyone else in the family are great people. It's the kinda thing when you're in the group you'll get to know. It's not something the groups want to be associated with. This is unfair to call it white washing, or at least a semantics mishap.
These are not the only such things there are also other groups as well that family members went off the derech.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 12:52:00 PM »
These are not the only such things there are also other groups as well that family members went off the derech.

Yeah. There might have been a pedophile in one group one time too. That's not going on the banner of the shul, it's an embarrassing fact that you deal with discretely and decisively. It's not like anyone can hide these facts. The title for this thread is wrong, it should be "why don't some orthodox Jewish organizations openly talk about every bad member related to the group, especially if they are related to the leaders?" and the answer is that's dumb.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 01:07:24 PM »
Having such a family member does not detract from the gedolim,admorim,roshei yeshivos or organizations it only reflects on the indivduals who went off

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 01:59:33 PM »
Having such a family member does not detract from the gedolim,admorim,roshei yeshivos or organizations it only reflects on the indivduals who went off

In the mind of a friendly person. In a noob, passerby or hater, they're only going to remember so much about a topic that doesn't really affect their lives. Usually something they can speak lashon hara about. Also like why stop at the leader and off the derech people then? Why not every Chabad Rabbi, when we mention them we also maybe mention they had a downsyndrome son who wouldn't let you put tefillin after 18? The people that left or never liked it in the first place aren't part of the story of a thing. They're satellite details. You could equally spend that time talking about charity work in your area.

If you want logical consistency, the Gemarra G-d forbid is "whitewashed". The only time they'll mention evil doers like the woman who married the Greek and hit the altar with her shoe, is to educate for important lessons where no positive example is appropriate, and in this case to educate that she was still mad at Hashem for letting the people she sold out to win.

It's not whitewashed to not talk about the dog of one Rabbi and how the dog licked its own butt because there are mostly dogs and most of their activities are less productive and appetizing than that. A respected Chassidic organization will have people that went above and beyond, or even harder, kept everything to an extremely high level, and those are the guys that are the story of the Breslever or Gerrer or whoever. It's true that the fact that the dog of one Rabbi may have licked his own butt more than once does not detract in the mind of anyone that he is great. If you spend your time when talking about a group focused on details like that instead of what the group is good for, for friendly people it's interesting, B"H Chabad didn't go that way, for others it's like, "oh bad thing and them related to bad thing so they must be bad things too".

Anyways plenty of yeshivot I've been to the Rabbi will tell you about other members that were relatives that went off, as a lesson that yichus isn't everything or whatever. For instance, my great great grandfather was a Chassid of the Gerrer Rebbe and his son went off, and it's known but in Gerrer history my story and his story are not relevant unless I go back and become a Gerrer Chassid and then only the details that make the teshuva see all G-d's will story sound pretty.