Should Columbus Day be banned?

Yes
2 (8%)
No
20 (80%)
Not sure
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Should Columbus Day be banned?  (Read 14659 times)

Erica

Re: Should Columbus Day be banned?
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 06:39:14 PM »
I don't know how to set up a poll here. But while we're on the topic of discussing the banning of holidays, then why not have some fun with the idea off banning Columbus Day. After all, there was nothing too special about him. First off, that claim that Columbus set off to sail to prove that the earth was round and not flat was complete BS. Also, Columbus didn't "discover" America. And what he thought he discovered, he wrongly concluded that it was India. (makes me wonder why so many people still refer to Native Americans as American Indians to this day) I personally think the day should be called Amerigo Vespucci Day since he's the one that got things right and that's why we're called America instead of Columbia.

But hey, if it gives another day off from work, I'm not complaining too much :)
You can always tell a true liberal when they start bashing Columbus. If we can have a national holiday for a degenerate monkey radical we can have one for Columbus!

Hey, first of all, I'm not bashing Columbus. Secondly, I don't believe we should have Martin Luther King day either (if that's who you are referring to here.) They're historical figures worthy of a day or two to learn about in school, but not worthy of any national holidays.

Also, I wasn't doing this to be a "true liberal." (Besides, it's the liberal education system which created these myths and over inflates his credits), I just figure while we're voting and discussing the banning of Halloween, Football, and Swedish Meatballs, why not have a little more fun by extending it to this?
I can agree with that Daniel. Why don't we have MLK Day and take that time to teach each child how to get along in school? I think that would be an outstanding idea.
Give me a break Erica.  
I wish my child would be given an academic education in school...not an indoctrination.

If anyone shouldn't have a day in his name - it is MLK.
To have a federal holiday in a person's name they should have at least contributed to/impacted the lives of a majority of the people.
I think MLK is just a token holiday.  

Bold mine. Yeah, like Columbus contributed to what would be called America? lol

Bullcat. If you don't want your child to learn how to get to know black children their age and learn to appreciate their differences, that's on you. But we're talking about one day where children can actually ATTEMPT to get along and learn about each other's cultures instead of growing up like uninformed racist blacks/whites.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 06:50:58 PM »
I don't know how to set up a poll here. But while we're on the topic of discussing the banning of holidays, then why not have some fun with the idea off banning Columbus Day. After all, there was nothing too special about him. First off, that claim that Columbus set off to sail to prove that the earth was round and not flat was complete BS. Also, Columbus didn't "discover" America. And what he thought he discovered, he wrongly concluded that it was India. (makes me wonder why so many people still refer to Native Americans as American Indians to this day) I personally think the day should be called Amerigo Vespucci Day since he's the one that got things right and that's why we're called America instead of Columbia.

You can always tell a true liberal when they start bashing Columbus. If we can have a national holiday for a degenerate monkey radical we can have one for Columbus!

Hey, first of all, I'm not bashing Columbus. Secondly, I don't believe we should have Martin Luther King day either (if that's who you are referring to here.) They're historical figures worthy of a day or two to learn about in school, but not worthy of any national holidays.

Also, I wasn't doing this to be a "true liberal." (Besides, it's the liberal education system which created these myths and over inflates his credits), I just figure while we're voting and discussing the banning of Halloween, Football, and Swedish Meatballs, why not have a little more fun by extending it to this?
I can agree with that Daniel. Why don't we have MLK Day and take that time to teach each child how to get along in school? I think that would be an outstanding idea.
Give me a break Erica.  
I wish my child would be given an academic education in school...not an indoctrination.

To have a federal holiday in a person's name they should have at least contributed to/impacted the lives of a majority of the people.

Bullcat. If you don't want your child to learn how to get to know black children their age and learn to appreciate their differences, that's on you. But we're talking about one day where children can actually ATTEMPT to get along and learn about each other's cultures instead of growing up like uninformed racist blacks/whites.

My child doesn't have to be taught in school to get along with others.
That comes from her home.  
You are so fixated on race.
Why is it all about colors with YOU?
I teach my child to respect all people - as long as they are acting respectably.
I don't point out and teach about particular races.
What if I didn't want my child to have black, purple, or green friends?
Wouldn't that be my PREFERENCE (your word from another thread)!
Academics should be taught in school.
You have your opinion on Columbus - no problem - like I said to Daniel - take it up with the Federal Government.
Stop calling me a racist - I'm sick of it.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member

Erica

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2007, 09:55:40 PM »

Give me a break Erica.  

I teach my child to respect all people - as long as they are acting respectably.
You have your opinion on Columbus - no problem - like I said to Daniel - take it up with the Federal Government.
WHO called you a racist? And I wasn't talking about YOUR child specifically. YOU HAVE A CHOICE to raise your child the way you want, that dosen't mean that there aren't other parents who would be interested in learning about someone else's /or each other's  cultures. Stop taking things so seriously and stop assuming that someon eis calling you a racist everytime they don't agree with something you say.

Children, just so you know, aren't born racist or prejudiced...parents teach them that. I don't consider you to be one of those parents.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2007, 10:14:21 PM »

Give me a break Erica.  

WHO called you a racist? And I wasn't talking about YOUR child specifically. YOU HAVE A CHOICE to raise your child the way you want, that dosen't mean that there aren't other parents who would be interested in learning about someone else's /or each other's  cultures. Stop taking things so seriously and stop assuming that someon eis calling you a racist everytime they don't agree with something you say.

Children, just so you know, aren't born racist or prejudiced...parents teach them that. I don't consider you to be one of those parents.
It seemed to me that you were speaking directly to me -
Bullcat. If you don't want your child to learn how to get to know black children their age and learn to appreciate their differences, that's on you.
Sorry if I misunderstood.
You are right people are taught to have prejudices but not always by their parents - sometimes events/experiences in life teach them.
I would like to meet the adult who has no prejudices (not just related to race) - they would be as phony as a three dollar bill - it's not possible.

Erica

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2007, 11:09:06 PM »

Give me a break Erica.  

Bullcat. If you don't want your child to learn how to get to know black children their age and learn to appreciate their differences, that's on you.
You are right people are taught to have prejudices but not always by their parents - sometimes events/experiences in life teach them.
I would like to meet the adult who has no prejudices (not just related to race) - they would be as phony as a three dollar bill - it's not possible.
"That's on you " Means that's your preference, or choice. I've never called you a racist and won't start today.

Erica

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2007, 11:10:59 PM »

Give me a break Erica.  

If we (NOT YOU) teach our children to respect other cultures now, maybe they'll fare a little better than some of the 'adults' who seem to be angry all of the time.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2007, 11:12:08 PM »

Give me a break Erica. 

"That's on you " Means that's your preference, or choice. I've never called you a racist and won't start today.
If all people behaved in a respectable manor racist would be out of work 8;)
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2007, 11:17:50 PM »

Give me a break Erica. 

If we (NOT YOU) teach our children to respect other cultures now, maybe they'll fare a little better than some of the 'adults' who seem to be angry all of the time.
When I was growing up we had one culture the American Culture. What happened? Does respect for other cultures mean foot  all the bills and let the evil animals do as they please and above all Keep your mouth shut? Your dam right I am angry seeing whats going on around me!
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2007, 11:21:42 PM »
Sorry I don't  respect other cultures aka Black culture.Its pathetic.Why would I teach my bi racial children how wonderful Black culture is when its not?

Erica

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2007, 12:08:28 AM »

Give me a break Erica. 

If all people behaved in a respectable manor racist would be out of work 8;)
And we all know that they are payed WAY too much for their 'job'. I think some people think that if they become reformed, respectful and tolerant that they'd turn out as losers.

Erica

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2007, 12:11:25 AM »

Give me a break Erica. 

When I was growing up we had one culture the American Culture. What happened? Does respect for other cultures mean foot  all the bills and let the evil animals do as they please and above all Keep your mouth shut? Your dam right I am angry seeing whats going on around me!
No that's not what I'm saying. America is full of people from many cultures. Respecting other cultures and getting to know something you didn't know at first about a person makes you a more open individual. Respecting other cultures dosen't mean that you have to kiss their behinds or give them free food. lol I don't think we can teach the older Americans who hate other cultures, but we can incite positivity in children though.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2007, 12:14:18 AM »

Erica

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2007, 12:15:03 AM »
Sorry I don't  respect other cultures aka Black culture.Its pathetic.Why would I teach my bi racial children how wonderful Black culture is when its not?
I've been through this before so I'll just shorten it this time around. There are two cultures in the black community... GOOD and BAD. Good black culture encompasses everything from sage advice to good food...bad culture consistes of gangster rap, glorification of pimps and prostitutes, stealing, killing, drugdealing, and sexual assaults...(which blacks didn't corner the market on but still exists in every culture.)

Erica

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2007, 12:15:46 AM »
impatience isn't one of your strong-points is it?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »

;D ;D Thats a really readable post wayne.

I don't think its just parents who have an affect on their childrens opnions on other cultures. They learn for themselves and its a natural instinct to defrenciate your race from others, if it differs. Children are influenced at school and by their surroundings, of which their parents can not completely control.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »
Not to be cruel ,but rather honest Erika,It seem like good blacks are out numbered about 1 million to one. :(

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2007, 01:58:38 PM »

;D ;D Thats a really readable post wayne.

I don't think its just parents who have an affect on their childrens opnions on other cultures. They learn for themselves and its a natural instinct to defrenciate your race from others, if it differs. Children are influenced at school and by their surroundings, of which their parents can not completely control.
Exactly right Sarah!
BullCat Jr. has a cousin who was murdered.  This young mother was murdered by her young black male friend.
Do you think that will have an influence on BullCat jr.'s thinking?  It has quite a bit of influence on mine.
All I can say to her is...choose your friends wisely.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »
I dont want my children one who is African /White or the other three who are white to come into contact with a race who are out of control.That would show a lack of love for my children.I love jazz.It is over all an excellant form of beautiful music.I expose it to my babies.But, most of African American culture is bad.I know im a bit older than you all but ,doesn't  it seem things were better for blacks and whites before 1960's.At least families we're intact.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2007, 02:19:57 PM »
NO way friend!How?

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »
Is this fact or opinion?I mean there is no pure musical form.At what point in history?Do you have an example ,other the Neil Diamond? :D

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2007, 02:30:53 PM »
Do you know what  video of his?

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »
Oh ok.

Erica

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2007, 09:58:35 PM »
Is this fact or opinion?I mean there is no pure musical form.At what point in history?Do you have an example ,other the Neil Diamond? :D
That's definately opinion. Jazz is derrived from blacks. It was a Jewish man who gave R&B its name though. Look it up.

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »
 >:(
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!