Author Topic: Help remember a Yiddish expression from childhood  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
Help remember a Yiddish expression from childhood
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:27:45 PM »
My Grandma died whan I was quite young. She used to say something when she was angry with me for pestering her about something. I think the meaning was "kiss a donkey (or maybe a goat) under his tail," meaning, basically, stop bugging me. From what I remember, it sounded something like "kish ein tzop under veidel." Does this ring a bell at all? Is anyone familiar with this expression?

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
Re: Help remember a Yiddish expression from childhood
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 02:11:28 AM »
I never heard of the expression you mentioned. I know of these, they are close to what you described:

Kish mir en toches - Kiss my backside (slang)

Kush in toches arein! (taboo) - Kiss my behind! (said to somebody who is annoying you)

"Secular Zionism is racism. Religious Zionism is Judaism."
No one who votes for Obama cares that he is a crack addict or a fag. That's the scariest thing about him. --- Bonecrkr

"When I take action, I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive."
- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
Re: Help remember a Yiddish expression from childhood
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:52:55 AM »
I never heard of the expression you mentioned. I know of these, they are close to what you described:

Kish mir en toches - Kiss my backside (slang)

Kush in toches arein! (taboo) - Kiss my behind! (said to somebody who is annoying you)

I heard the first of your expressions used in the US.

But my grandma definitely used the expression referring to a goat or a donkey (not sure which). I wonder whether this was something typical for her personally or for the Yiddish community she grew up in.  :-\