Author Topic: Bnai Noach and Sukkot  (Read 5829 times)

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
Bnai Noach and Sukkot
« on: October 10, 2006, 03:06:15 AM »
Yacov asked me if I celebrate Sukkot (the Feast of Tabernacles).

I am a Ben Noach (son of Noah).  Bnai Noach (sons of Noah) are Gentiles who observe the seven commandments of Noah, who was the greatest example of a righteous Gentile in the Torah.

We believe in the G-d of Israel Who revealed Himself to the entire Jewish people at Mount Sinai.  We believe in the eternal covenant between G-d and His Chosen People, the Jews.

However, we are Gentiles.  Gentiles are NOT required to convert to Judaism.  And Gentiles do NOT have to observe the 613 commandments which G-d gave to the Jews.  We have it much easier than the Jews - we have only seven commandments.

We do not observe the Jewish Sabbath, we do not observe most Jewish holidays, we do not have to eat kosher food, we do not have to be circumcised. (Since I was born in a Catholic hospital to a Catholic family, I am not circumcised.)

However, in the future, we will have to observe the universal Torah holiday of Sukkot.  (See Zechariah 14: 16-18 for the Biblical commandment to the Gentiles to come to the Holy Temple in Jerusalem to worship HaShem (G-d) on Sukkot.)

But until the Messianic redemption, most rabbis rule that Bnai Noach are not yet REQUIRED to observe Sukkot.

I did go to a Sukkah (booth) this year because I want to learn the customs that I will have to observe in the next world, and because I want to see how my son (who is a convert to Judaism) worships with his wife and with my two grandchildren. 

Some day ALL righteous Gentiles will make the pilgrimmage to Jerusalem and the whole world will worship the One G-d of the Universe.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
Re: Bnai Noach and Sukkot
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:54:24 AM »
I don't know if you got the PM I sent, but this thread answers basically everything I asked. You can trash the PM.

Shalom.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 07:41:16 PM »
Yacov asked me if I celebrate Sukkot (the Feast of Tabernacles).

I am a Ben Noach (son of Noah).  Bnai Noach (sons of Noah) are Gentiles who observe the seven commandments of Noah, who was the greatest example of a righteous Gentile in the Torah.

We believe in the G-d of Israel Who revealed Himself to the entire Jewish people at Mount Sinai.  We believe in the eternal covenant between G-d and His Chosen People, the Jews.

However, we are Gentiles.  Gentiles are NOT required to convert to Judaism.  And Gentiles do NOT have to observe the 613 commandments which G-d gave to the Jews.  We have it much easier than the Jews - we have only seven commandments.

We do not observe the Jewish Sabbath, we do not observe most Jewish holidays, we do not have to eat kosher food, we do not have to be circumcised. (Since I was born in a Catholic hospital to a Catholic family, I am not circumcised.)

However, in the future, we will have to observe the universal Torah holiday of Sukkot.  (See Zechariah 14: 16-18 for the Biblical commandment to the Gentiles to come to the Holy Temple in Jerusalem to worship HaShem (G-d) on Sukkot.)

But until the Messianic redemption, most rabbis rule that Bnai Noach are not yet REQUIRED to observe Sukkot.

I did go to a Sukkah (booth) this year because I want to learn the customs that I will have to observe in the next world, and because I want to see how my son (who is a convert to Judaism) worships with his wife and with my two grandchildren. 

Some day ALL righteous Gentiles will make the pilgrimmage to Jerusalem and the whole world will worship the One G-d of the Universe.

:) Amen
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:23:41 PM »
Amen Jimmy!

The role of gentiles is explained clearly in Isaiah 66:18-20.  It is a Biblical mandate that gentiles should support the Jews to return to their God given homeland:

Isaiah 66:18-20:

" . . . it shall come that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come and see my glory; ... And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the L-rd out of all nations . . ."

Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

wonderfulgoy

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 09:29:36 PM »
As Rav Kahane said in this speech, , the Tanakh (Tanach) is fit for five year old Jews to learn.  By the time they are seven they begin learning Mishnah.  This ought to give you some clue as the Jewish position on what Christians consider the immutable word of G-d.  The Tanakh is to Judaism today what Aesop's fables are to little children.