Author Topic: Alpaca's  (Read 6945 times)

Kiwi

Alpaca's
« on: January 04, 2008, 08:39:21 AM »
I just love them  :::D And planing on creating a herd late in the year  O0

Kiwi

Re: Alpaca's
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:41:41 AM »

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:52:28 AM »
are they aggressive?
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
are they aggressive?

Yes and No. they are pack animals and herd protectors, they can kill wolves if required. Oh yes they can spit, like camel, and its smellie  :-\

I am developing a breeding program, and will hand raise some, for handling duties, and most will be field raised, and only be handled for shearing and vet care.

They will be my boundary protectors, we are getting dogs taking our sheep at the minute.  >:(

If I see them, I will shoot to kill the feral buggers.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 09:00:22 AM by Skippy »

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »
are they aggressive?

Yes and No. they are pack animals and herd protectors, they can kill wolves if required. Oh yes they can spit, like camel, and its smellie  :-\

I developing a breeding program, and will hand raise some, for handling duties, and most will be field raised, and only he handled for shearing and vet care.

They will be my boundary protectors, we are getting dogs taking our sheep at the minute.  >:(

I see them, I shoot to kill the feral buggers.
sounds great. You got a whole zoo there.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »
LOL nope they are all for a reason, the Alpacas for guarding and wool, $80 a kilo  8;)

My retirement fund  :D

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:04:29 AM »
LOL nope they are all for a reason, the Alpacas for guarding and wool, $80 a kilo  8;)

Hope they give lots of kilos!
And you're shooting a lot ? Everyday?

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »

Everyday yes, the drier the weather the more stock we lose, The dogs get bolder. In truth I hate killing any animal I cry for days, I am a sookie. I prefer to shot at people, I have not emotions about that.

One adult Alpaca can produce up to 25 kilos of useable mirco fine wool.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 09:50:08 AM »

Everyday yes, the drier the weather the more stock we lose, The dogs get bolder. In truth I hate killing any animal I cry for days, I am a sookie. I prefer to shot at people, I have not emotions about that.

One adult Alpaca can produce up to 25 kilos of useable mirco fine wool.

Is it good to keep those dogs out then?

Offline Maccabi

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »
cool.

are they kosher? can you eat em too?

Llama meat was the big jazz for a while.

I probably wouldn't eat these guys though, they are cute... like something out of a Japanese cartoon.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »

what is their efficiency in muslim-hunting?

Joe Schmo

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 03:04:45 PM »

They'd make a nice rug and/or coat.

Kiwi

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 06:21:58 PM »
cool.

I probably wouldn't eat these guys though, they are cute... like something out of a Japanese cartoon.

Yes they are Kosher, and no I never heard of people eating them here. In the Alps I would say they would. They are used as pack animals, food as in meat, milk and their wool for clothes. Very part of the animal is used.

Alpaca wool is very light very fine, and very warm.  :)

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 06:46:39 PM »
cool.

Yes they are Kosher, and no I never heard of people eating them here. In the Alps I would say they would. They are used as pack animals, food as in meat, milk and their wool for clothes. Very part of the animal is used.

In the Alps? Are these animals europeans?

Kiwi

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 06:57:01 PM »
cool.

No they first came from South America, but they were taken to Italy because of the super fine wool, then the border region took them and they are happy there, as an extra herd for alot of the poor farmers and pays good money.

Alpacas are kept in herds that graze on the level heights of the Andes of Ecuador, southern Peru, northern Bolivia, and northern Chile at an altitude of 3500 to 5000 meters above sea-level, throughout the year.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
cool.

No they first came from South America, but they were taken to Italy because of the super fine wool, then the border region took them and they are happy there, as an extra herd for alot of the poor farmers and pays good money.

Alpacas are kept in herds that graze on the level heights of the Andes of Ecuador, southern Peru, northern Bolivia, and northern Chile at an altitude of 3500 to 5000 meters above sea-level, throughout the year.

So, this is the best wool one can get?

Kiwi

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 07:15:35 PM »
No Ultra fine wools are based on  13 Micron, many New Zealand sheep have this.

Ultra fine wools are Angora comes from rabbits, cashmere from goats. But which is finer I am not sure.

But I used to have Angora rabbits, and sharing them was not fun.  :-\

You must mix wool in with Angora and Cashmere to spin it, Alpaca can be spun by itself.

But as for the best Angora  O0 Cashmere close second  ;)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:17:09 PM by Skippy »

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 07:18:25 PM »
No Ultra fine wools are based on  13 Micron, many New Zealand sheep have this.

Ultra fine wools are Angora comes from rabbits, cashmere from goats. But which is finer I am not sure.

But I used to have Angora rabbits, and sharing them was not fun.  :-\

You must mix wool in with Angora and Cashmere to spin it, Alpaca can be spun by itself.

But as for the best Angora  O0 Cashmere close second  ;)

i like Kashmir wool a lot. Just can't imagine Angora....

Kiwi

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 07:25:14 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D They are cute bunnys. They make great pets and you can house train them like a cat, to use a litter tray, very clean animals.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 07:37:21 PM »
;D ;D ;D They are cute bunnys. They make great pets and you can house train them like a cat, to use a litter tray, very clean animals.

my landlord has one like this.
It is mega-cute.
Nice wool indeed!!!!

Kiwi

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 07:47:08 PM »
Yes  :D

I have a Buck Rabbit, called Bruce he was kept for breeding and spent the rest of his time inside as a pet. He lived until he was 12 years old, very very old rabbit. Even my vet loved him.

Many a time my friends children would dress him up he never minded.  :)

He was a cross dresser  :::D

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »
Yes  :D

I have a Buck Rabbit, called Bruce he was kept for breeding and spent the rest of his time inside as a pet. He lived until he was 12 years old, very very old rabbit. Even my vet loved him.

Many a time my friends children would dress him up he never minded.  :)

He was a cross dresser  :::D
i can' disclose the name of the rabbit. Maybe the secret police in Belgium will use it is evidence against me to be a member of this forum....

Kiwi

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »
I was thinking not of you, but the poor rabbit, the secret police could be after him  8;)

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »
I was thinking not of you, but the poor rabbit, the secret police could be after him  8;)

Yeah , all that wool lost....