Author Topic: Baklava  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
Baklava
« on: February 08, 2008, 06:59:07 AM »
Baklava

* 1 lb. phyllo dough (Apollo preferred)
    * 1 stick of sweet butter
    * ½ lb. almonds or walnuts (or a combination of the two, or green pistachios)
    * cinnamon
    * cloves
    * powdered sugar
    * 2 cups sugar
    * 1 cup water
    * fresh lemon juice

syrup: in a saucepan, bring to boil 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of water, and juice from a squeezed fresh lemon. When it begins to thicken, turn off the stove and pour in rose water (optional). It gives a great aroma.

In a bowl, mix the nuts with the spices and 1 tbsp. of powder sugar. In a rectangle pan, brush the melted butter, then one by one place the phyllo brushing each one with the butter until about 8 sheets of phyllo are spread. Then put some of the mix, then 2 sheets of phyllo. Repeat until the mix is finished. Then 6 sheets of phyllo with the butter until it is over. Brush with butter and add 2 or 3 drops of water all over. Cut the baklava in small squares, and place it in a preheated oven for about 1 hour. When you take it out, place over the already prepared cool syrup. Good Luck! ( KALI TIHI)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Re: Baklava
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:33:23 AM »
Sweet! O0

kellymaureen

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »
Lol too much work, I'll go to my fave greek place ...they do a GREAT baklava sundae ;)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:43:06 AM »
Baklava sundae sounds great, Kel.  Rancid nuts, Mills, don't think I've had many problems with those, but I don't really eat it that often.  My dad used to bring it home when I was a kid.  Are they common?  They're crushed wallnuts I believe, not almonds.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 01:06:24 AM »
Sounds Nasty Mills.  Stick with Planters.   I've never had much of a problem with them. O0