Author Topic: Muzzierodent qurananimal York college pres collaborates with quranimal students  (Read 558 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
http://www.israpundit.com/2008/?p=11081#more-11081   

York U president denies allegations of support for SAIA

by Atara Beck, The Jewish Tribune

TORONTO – A spokesperson for Mahmoud Shoukri, president of York University, categorically denied allegations that he had made private comments in favour of Students Against Israeli Apartheid (SAIA).

York student Kaley Ames informed the Jewish Tribune that she had signed an affidavit last week that she witnessed Shoukri’s presence at a SAIA table and heard the York president tell the person manning the display, in a hushed voice:

“It is your right to be here…. You have no idea how many emails I get about you guys…. I should give you some…a whole stack.”

According to Ames, her affidavit goes on to state, “it was clear from Shoukri’s tone that he…was pleased of (sic) their presence…. Shoukri’s tone of support could also be read on his face by non-verbal communication of smiling and nodding his head.”

According to Alex Bilyk, York’s director of media relations, “I spoke to Dr. Shoukri and there is absolutely no resemblance of fact in the conversation attributed to Dr. Shoukri with the individual mentioned [Hammam Farah, an anti-Israel activist]. In broadest terms there was a discussion re everyone being entitled to free speech, but that there were rules of behaviour and that if those rules were broken, we would apply sanctions as appropriate, as we have done.

“As for SAIA sanctions, they continue and my understanding is that no SAIA student members have been involved in tabling activity since sanctions were imposed.

“Further to Dr. Shoukri’s presence around tabling activity, he frequently passes through Vari Hall and takes note of all activity and is engaged by students and others.”

The person to whom Shoukri was allegedly speaking was none other than Hammam Farah, a non-student and one of the leading members of Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid (CAIA). Asked whether it’s acceptable at York for non-students to be involved in tabling SAIA material (i.e. the ‘apartheid wall’), which has been causing major confrontation on campus and distress among Jewish students and which apparently has been allowed to continue notwithstanding sanctions, Bilyk responded:

“We are currently exploring our options/policies re non-students involved in activities on campus.”

“As a Jewish student I have lost faith in the administration to create an atmosphere of safety and equity on my campus,” Ames told the Jewish Tribune. “I look forward to the day when I can fill out a Student Conflict and Conflict Resolution form and know that it will be properly dealt with in accordance with the code of student conduct put out by the York administration.”

Ames believes, “Shoukri’s presence at the table made it clear that the president is fully aware of SAIA’s tabling on campus, and we can only [conclude] that he excuses their wrongful behaviour and that SAIA has clear disregard for the rules that York has set out before them.”

According to a press release sent out by UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, “despite being seen speaking with members of SAIA in front of their information table and ‘apartheid wall’ on campus on Wednesday, York President Shoukri has failed to take any disciplinary action against SAIA for violating their suspension.”

“It is outrageous for York University to issue a news release announcing disciplinary actions while refusing to take action itself against a suspended group operating contrary to the sanctions against it,” said Daniel Ferman, president of Hillel at York.

Aaron Rosenberg, Hasbara at York president, said this is “yet another example of the smoke and mirrors tactics of the York administration to demonstrate that everything is under control when rules are arbitrarily, selectively and unfairly enforced while the campus climate becomes more toxic every day.”

In fact, the very next day, according to a media release issued by Sammy Katz, Canadian campus coordinator for Hasbara Fellowships, graffiti found in a men’s washroom stated “Boycott Israeli Apartheid.” Someone scribbled “why?” underneath, to which the perpetrator replied, “So we don’t let the Jews get away with everything.”

According to Katz, the graffiti is “further proof that tensions are escalating and that IAW has led to antisemitism.”

Campus security was informed of the incident.

Katz had also posted a video on YouTube showing a non-student in Vari Hall ranting against “the Jewish.”

According to a statement issued by B’nai Brith Canada, “promises made by the York president and his top administrators to Jewish community leaders, including a senior B’nai Brith Canada delegation, apparently have fallen by the wayside.

“In light of recent events on campus, B’nai Brith Canada can only conclude that the president’s assurances that he would reassert his jurisdiction to prevent hate on campus have not been met,” stated Frank Dimant, executive vice-president. “It was B’nai Brith Canada’s proactive campaign that alerted government, the community and Church leaders to the mini-Durban happening on campus. B’nai Brith Canada will continue its aggressive awareness campaign until such time as law and order are restored on campus.”

York University, in a press release earlier this week, said it was forming a task force made up of professors and students, which will be mandated to review the current tensions on campus and seek remedial measures

Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03