Author Topic: A question regarding smart phones  (Read 762 times)

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
A question regarding smart phones
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:14:44 PM »
Yet another mundane topic, I know. I'm sorry!

But anyway, I'm interested in purchasing a smart phone, possibly a BlackBerry. It's become burdensome to carry around my laptop just to read and reply to business e-mails.

I've toyed around with my girlfriend's iPhone and I do happen to like it because of its vast array of applications. It's also great for web browsing. But in terms of call quality, it is lacking.

Unfortunately, I have Verizon as my carrier and I'm under a new two year contract. The phones are generally mediocre, especially when compared to what AT&T offers. Plus, owning a BlackBerry on Verizon's network may be cost-prohibitive.

If anybody is particularly knowledgeable about smart phones, feel free to add your input. I'm willing to pay a pretty penny on unlocked smart phones currently only available abroad.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Shalom.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
Re: A question regarding smart phones
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:29:41 PM »
Is there anyone willing to help me out?

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:51:08 PM »
Is there anyone willing to help me out?

just about every phone nowadays is capable of going online and checking email.  Why do you need a smart phone? 

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:45:28 AM »
I need a phone with a tactile physical QWERTY keyboard. It's hard to reply to e-mails with a numeric keypad. I also need a phone that is capable of editing documents.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »
I have a HTC Touch Pro.

Why don't you look at the carriers website for pda/smartphones?
PDA phones with touchscreens are way better.

Verizon has a lot of phones, but there really isn't that many pda phones.

I see several categories of PDA/Smartphones.
Blackberry phones
windows mobile/pocket pc
palm
others

I've had a palm treo, but they're showing their age and I just don't feel they're viable.
Blackberrys are popular, but I personally don't like them because they feel cheap and they've never had touchscreens.  They finally have a blackberry storm model that has a touchscreen.
I pretty much ignore the other types.

all the carriers pretty much have very similar or exactly the same phones.

now go to a verizon store and play with a few on your own.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:45:49 AM by angryChineseKahanist »
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:31:17 AM »
The Blackberry Storm is terrible.  That's my opinion, though, so you may want to try it out.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:08:20 PM »
Get sprint as they have the cheapest high speed data plans. If you want to edit documents, then windows mobile is probably the way to go. If you need your emails delivered the second they are sent to your address, then get a blackberry. The only real reason to get a blackberry is if you need your phone to nitify you of emails the moment they are sent. Windows mobile phones on the other hand scan the network every five min and collect your emails that way. It's not instantaneous.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »
I suggest you check out some Nokia models: E71 (full keyboard), 8500 (touch screen), N85 (no keyboard,compact smartphone), N97 (their new flagship with every feature I can think of).

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »
Hi,
I use iPhone 3G, Nokia E51 & E66 and Blackberry Pearl.

I would recommend you to consider the following two phones, since you are not interested in iPhone:
1) BlackberryBold (this is a 3G phone)/Blackberry Curve (if you don't need 3G)
2) Nokia E75 (US version if you live in US/Canada). They also have a European version, if you live in the rest of the world.

Check them out on www.mobilecityonline.com (they have a great variety of unlocked GSM phones) Also, you can get these phones on Buy.com

I think if you would be happy with either of them - they feature full qwerty and offer great sound quality, easy PC integration (much better than iPhone). Currently, however, I carry iPhone for the last 2 months and am quite happy with it. I think I will buy E75 next. BTW, also check out Nokia N97 - it is a bit more expensive but less business, more entertainment oriented smartphone.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 01:16:57 AM »
I would urge you to boycott Blackberry and its parent company (Research In Motion Limited) so long as they have the kurva slut Michelle Nunes (may she burn in hell forever if she does not repent) as their spokesmodel.