Author Topic: Affirmative action fire fighters?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
Affirmative action fire fighters?
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:26:51 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100524/ap_on_bi_ge/us_supreme_court_firefighters_lawsuit

Court says black firefighter lawsuit can proceed

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court ruled Monday a group of African Americans did not wait too long to sue Chicago over a hiring test they challenged as discriminatory, freeing them to collect a lower court judgment. (Snip)

Anyone who scored 64 or below was deemed not qualified. But the city set a second cutoff score of 89 points.

Officials told applicants who scored below 89 but above 64 that although they passed the test, they likely would not be hired because of the large number of people who scored 89 or above. The majority of those in the top-scoring group were white; only 11 percent were black.

People are supposed to sue within 300 days after an employment action they seek to challenge as unlawful.

The city says the clock started when it announced the use of the test scores on Jan. 26, 1996. The first lawsuit in the case was filed on March 31, 1997, 430 days after the city announced the results.

But the plaintiffs say a new act of discrimination also happened each time the scores were used in hiring firefighter trainees between May 1996 and October 2001.

A U.S. District judge agreed with the black applicants. After an eight-day trial, the federal judge ordered the city to hire 132 randomly selected African American applicants who scored above 64. The court also ordered the city to count up the backpay and divide it among the rest of the applicants. (snip)

"For decades we have tried to diversify the Chicago Fire Department," Daley said. "But at every turn, like most cities, we have been met with legal challenges from both sides. Still, this administration remains committed to ensuring that the department more reflects the racial make-up of the city."

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
Re: Affirmative action fire fighters?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:16:12 AM »
If you throw the blacks on the fire their afro gel will only make it bigger. =(
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:31:03 AM »
I don't know if I am understanding this correctly. 

These black people are suing because people who scored better on tests were hired before them, because the higher scoring people happened to not be black? 

And these black people want to be hired in favor of these non-blacks who scored better on this test than they did?

So the goal is less qualified firefighters overall, who are "more racially diverse"?

---

Message to anyone who doesn't want to live in a firetrap:  Don't move to Chicago!
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:56:23 AM »
Affirmative action is nothing short of racism. To select people based on skin color and not on skills is completely racist and evil. Affirmative action should be stopped as soon as possible to allow the blacks to rise to the level of competence. It is scary to think that services which are intended to save peoples lives are being compromised by people with low skill and intelligence.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:53:24 AM »
Affirmative action is nothing short of racism. To select people based on skin color and not on skills is completely racist and evil. Affirmative action should be stopped as soon as possible to allow the blacks to rise to the level of competence. It is scary to think that services which are intended to save peoples lives are being compromised by people with low skill and intelligence.

good post, i agree.