Author Topic: Sickening Example of the Stupidity of Reform 'Temples'  (Read 1082 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Sickening Example of the Stupidity of Reform 'Temples'
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »
I started to read this article with the hope of reading about a real Jewish synagogue but when I saw the word 'reform' I realized that what I was reading had very little to do with Judaism and more to do with liberal-progressive activism. This so-called 'Temple' allows pets for Shabbat services, is more concerned with 'openness' and inter-faith dialogue than with Judaism.

I am sad to say that I cannot recommend this church, I mean 'temple', for anything but derision...

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_18578338?source=rss

Santa Clara County's oldest Jewish temple turning 150
By Lisa Fernandez

Posted: 07/29/2011 02:57:34 PM PDT
Updated: 07/29/2011 03:04:59 PM PDT

Temple Emanu-El of San Jose celebrates its 150th anniversary Friday giving it the birthright as the oldest Jewish congregation in Santa Clara Valley, and among the oldest Reform congregations on the West Coast.

To honor the occasion, the 400-family congregation is having a scribe write a new Torah, which will take the year to complete.

"One hundred and fifty is really old," said Rabbi Dana Magat, 47, who has been the spiritual leader of the congregation since 1999. "This congregation walked and rallied when Lincoln and Kennedy were assassinated. I don't think many congregations can say that."

Magat is amazed by the congregation's place in Silicon Valley history, but he's more awed by its intangible

"It's hard to put into words," Magat said. "It's just inspiring to be here. At it's core, we have a connecting, loving, optimistic energy. The people are genuinely wonderful here. ''

Temple Emanu-El, which means "G-d is with us" in Hebrew, has come a long way since its birth in 1861, when a French Jew set up shop, first as a place to bury the dead and visit the sick, central Jewish commandments.

The original temple was located on Third and San Antonio Streets in downtown San Jose, when it was called "Bickur Cholim." It moved to its current University Avenue site in 1948.

Some of the outward practices of spirituality are different than in the early 19th century, too.

For instance, Temple Emanu-El is unusual among synagogues in that it offers semi-regular Pet Shabbats, initiated by the animal-loving cantor who wanted Saturday services to be a welcome spot, occasionally, where furry friends can tag along and nosh on biscuits during the kiddush.

The temple boasts an award-winning preschool that also serves children with special needs, has an average of about two dozen 13-year-olds who become bar and bat mitzvah each year, offers Jewish Confirmation classes for teens, and runs a vibrant adult education program.

Congregation members are also very proud of their efforts in "repairing the world," or Tikkun Olam, as it's called in Hebrew. The temple was recently named among 17 winners of a national honor, the Irving J. Fain Award from the Religion Action Center of Reform Judaism, for responsively recycling electronic waste.

That kind of social responsibility is evident among younger members, too. For example, in 2007, Jordana Lilly of Los Altos raised $8,000 by taking part in an art auction for her bat mitzvah project. She donated the money to refugee children of genocidal fighting in Darfur.

Like many synagogues in the Bay Area, Temple Emanu-El is big on diversity, not only of people from varied ethnic backgrounds, but as the president of the synagogue said, a "significant" number of congregants are interfaith.

"We welcome people," said board president Mike Cahn, a 79-year-old physican whose father used to be president, and whose children and grandchildren are also involved at the temple. "The Reform movement welcomes interfaith families. We have many levels of observance here. That's what makes this a special place."

The temple's late rabbi, Joseph Gitin, who died last year at 104, was renowned for reaching across religions. He was close friends with the late Rev. Paul Locatelli, the former president of Santa Clara University. Decades ago, Gitin also championed the civil rights of African Americans and homosexuals.

Magat is following in these footsteps. He is vice chair of the Interfaith Council on Economic Justice in Santa Clara County. He often dialogues with the Diocese of San Jose, and he and Imam Tahir Anwar of the South Bay Islamic Association have set up formal visits between each others houses of worship.

But above all the accolades, awards and historical facts that are deeply woven into the fabric at Temple Emanu-El, it's the simple acts of kindness that take place there that Sharon Barowsky, 51, of Santa Clara believes embodies the true spirit of the temple.

She joined nearly eight years ago, and came to two Friday night services where she sat alone. On the third visit, an elderly woman came up to her and said, "You're not sitting alone anymore. Come sit with me."

Now, Barowsky sits on the welcoming committee of the temple, making sure that new guests, no matter their background, feel accepted at their new spiritual home.

"It didn't matter that I was a stranger," Barowsky said. "I was family. Temple Emanu-El has become my extended family."

This is a very big shame on the Jewish people when they set up a synagogue which is more concerned with non-Jewish things such as Islam, Dogs, African-American rights, and so-called 'tikkun-olam' {a liberal code-word for taking up any non-Jewish cause}...

SHAME SHAME SHAME on Temple Emanu-El... I bet the founders of this temple are spinning in their graves...

Notice that not a single word of the description discusses the congregation doing anything even remotely Jewish... Not a mention of any chesed for the Jewish state, only supporting blacks and muslims.... Very Jewish of them...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Sickening Example of the Stupidity of Reform 'Temples'
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:14:30 PM »
According to the Talmud all animals are Muktsa {Forbidden to be handled} on Shabbat...

So whatever this 'rabbi' thinks he is doing it is not Jewish...

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/11/Q1/

http://www.torahohr.net/Articles/HalachMuktza.htm_1190392756.htm

http://revach.net/ask/article.php?id=822

Halacha - DOGS ON SHABBAT
Submitted by MICHAEL MISSRY  Answered by Rav Peretz Moncharsh
Question: I OWN A DOG, WHICH IS MY PET, LIVES INDOORS, NOT A WILD ANIMAL, MAY I TOUCH THE DOG ON SHABBAT?
Answer:

A pet dog is muktza and may be touched but not moved except in situations of tzaar baalei chaim. The Rosh and Maharach Ohr Zarua explain that even though the primary reason Chazal declared live animals muktza, that they serve no purpose on Shabbos, would not apply to a pet, however they did not differentiate and made a blanket rule forbidding all animals.

http://ohr.edu/this_week/ask_the_rabbi/1372

Also, if a pet gets loose on Shabbat, trapping it is forbidden in many cases. Even handling an animal on Shabbat can be forbidden, due to the prohibition of muktza, unless needed to feed the animal or relieve it from pain. Furthermore, one must make sure his pet doesn't cause damage. For this reason, the Sages looked unfavorably on raising certain animals, such as dogs, unless one needs them for protection. Yet another consideration is the Torah prohibition to have an animal sterilized.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
These "temples" have lesbian "rabbis"! I hope the reform movement doesnt make inroads into israel.

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
My cousin was bar-mitzvah'd in a reform shul by a female rabbi. I don't know if she was a lesbian or not. Looking back at the day I can say it was all quite bizarre.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:07:50 PM »
Hashem spared me from the embarrassment of being involved with reform temples.... When my parents were looking for a Synagogue to send my brother and I we looked at the local reform synagogue. To my parents, who are not religious in any sense, it was obvious that reform temples are a joke. We were sent to a Conservative Synaogue and had our Bar Mitzvahs according to Conservative Judaism.

At this time I respect Conservative Judaism but I also feel that it misses the mark. The only true Jewish religion is the Orthodox strains, those which believe that the Torah is a guide for life and that the 613 commandments are binding on the Jewish people.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 11:54:29 PM »
Muman,

Wait,so how do you walk your dog on Shabbat?  The dog needs to be walked and cared.  Loving your animals and respecting them as creatures of God is, as you know, a concept very much at home with Jewish thinking.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »
Muman,

Wait,so how do you walk your dog on Shabbat?  The dog needs to be walked and cared.  Loving your animals and respecting them as creatures of G-d is, as you know, a concept very much at home with Jewish thinking.

I certainly agree with you concerning caring for your pets and all animals. I have posted several times how it is a mitzvah to feed your pets before you even eat. But there are issues for a Jew who wants to keep all the mitzvot of Shabbat observance which involves not doing any of the 39 melachot(Forms of Forbidden work).

I am not sure what the answer is concerning walking a dog on Shabbat. I assume that as long as there is an Eruv there would not be a problem with carrying from a private to a public place. But I would have to look into it...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:02:38 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 12:59:01 AM »
A Hah! Chabad of course has some answers:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/522415/jewish/How-does-Shabbat-observance-affect-pet-owners.htm

How does Shabbat observance affect pet owners?
By Menachem Posner

Shabbat presents certain challenges for pet owners, but many, many pet owners are also Shabbat-observant Jews, and becoming familiar with a few basic rules and concepts is all that is needed.

There are four primary areas affected by the Shabbat laws:

1) Feeding

2) "Trapping"

3) Walking your pet

4) Touching and petting

Feeding

Feeding pets on Shabbat is permitted.1 In fact we are required by the Torah to feed dependant animals every day before we eat ourselves. This is derived from the verse (Deuteronomy 11:15): "I will give grass in your fields for your animal, and you shall eat and be satisfied"--food for the animal is mentioned before food for oneself!2

Trapping

Trapping, defined as any act which restricts the freedom of an animal, is forbidden on Shabbat.3

This prohibition is not relevant to many pets, because the prohibition against "trapping" only applies to animals which occasionally escape and are difficult to catch, not to domesticated animals which do not normally run away, since these are considered to be "trapped" already -- due to their nature and/or training.4

If your pet is prone to running away, the following rules apply: 1) It is forbidden to put a leash on the pet in a public area, or any place where it would take more than one lunge to catch it; leash the pet before you leave the house. 2) One may not close a window (through which the pet can feasibly escape) or door while the pet is in the home.5 This problem can be circumvented by securing your pet every time you open and close the door or by bodily blocking the doorway when you open the door so that there is never enough space for the pet to fit through.

Walking a Pet

Walking a pet on Shabbat is not problematic per se, as long as you avoid carrying the animal or any pet accessories in the "public domain" (See The Shabbat Laws).

While the pet may be collared and leashed, it must be clear that you are walking an animal, not carrying a leash. The pet must therefore remain close to you at all times, and the length of the leash should remain taut; never sagging within a handbreadth of the ground, and no more than a handbreadth of extra leash should dangle from your hand.6

Touching and Petting

Any object which offers no immediate practical use is called muktzah, and may not be handled on Shabbat. According to conventional Jewish law, animals, too, fall into this category. While household pets may be an exception -- as will be explained shortly -- let us first discuss conventional halachah with regards to handling animals.

It is forbidden to pet, hold, or stroke an animal on Shabbat.7 An exception to the no-handling rule is if the animal is in pain or discomfort; in such an instance it is permitted to touch it in order to ease its pain. For example, one is allowed to apply oil or an ointment8 to a wound,9 or help an animal which is having difficulty walking.10

This exception only applies to the rules of muktzah. The laws of muktzah are of rabbinic origin, and were waived by the rabbis in an instance of animal pain or discomfort. However, in a case when the animal's life may be in danger,11 it is permitted to ask a non-Jew to do any activity which is ordinarily forbidden on Shabbat.12

All of the above, as we said, is the conventional law pertaining to handling animals on Shabbat. It has been argued by certain prominent halachic authorities13 that household pets are not included in the category of muktzah at all, because they have an "immediate practical use" -- namely, providing people with pleasure and companionship. There are others who disagree, maintaining that the rabbinic prohibition against handling animals on Shabbat was imposed across the board. As there are differing opinions in this matter, speak to your rabbi, who will advise you regarding your particular situation.

[Animal litter is also muktzah. But you may clean it up if it is in your home and disturbing you.14]

Note: All these rules apply to major Jewish holidays too, with the exception of the rules regarding carrying in the Public Domain, which are not applicable on Jewish holidays.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 10:09:59 AM »
I certainly agree with you concerning caring for your pets and all animals. I have posted several times how it is a mitzvah to feed your pets before you even eat. But there are issues for a Jew who wants to keep all the mitzvot of Shabbat observance which involves not doing any of the 39 melachot(Forms of Forbidden work).

I am not sure what the answer is concerning walking a dog on Shabbat. I assume that as long as there is an Eruv there would not be a problem with carrying from a private to a public place. But I would have to look into it...

Very interesting thank you.  Loving our animals and receiving the warmth they give us in return is certainly a pleasure as discussed above, as such, it seems like there is support for caregiving of household pets on Shabbat

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:48:09 AM »
Hashem spared me from the embarrassment of being involved with reform temples.... When my parents were looking for a Synagogue to send my brother and I we looked at the local reform synagogue. To my parents, who are not religious in any sense, it was obvious that reform temples are a joke. We were sent to a Conservative Synaogue and had our Bar Mitzvahs according to Conservative Judaism.

At this time I respect Conservative Judaism but I also feel that it misses the mark. The only true Jewish religion is the Orthodox strains, those which believe that the Torah is a guide for life and that the 613 commandments are binding on the Jewish people.

Reform is definitely for Jews who just want to say they're Jewish and not adhere to anything more than maybe staying Kosher in the home and getting their kids bar/bat mitzvah'd. I must say every single holiday service I've attended at my reform family's residences has been a complete embarassment and a disgrace. Prayers are akin to saying "rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub". I've also attended holiday services at a family friend's residence who is Conservative and he attends shul on the holidays. Services cover all the important points and are considerably lengthier than any Reform service I've been to. I've yet to attend any Orthodox services but I'd assume they would be even lengthier than in a Conservative home.

I'm not even Jewish myself but I remember one time at a Reform family member's home during a service I met eyes with a family member who is a Conservative Jew. We were both embarassed and ashamed of what was going on. I'm a firm believer if you want to hold a religious service you should do it right. If you don't want to do it right, don't get together under the pretense of a holiday. Just call it a family gettogether and be done with it.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 09:20:19 PM »
   Plenty of legitimate orthodox households have pets. Whether having a pet is right or wrong, it ranks low on my list of complaints against the deformed.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 10:32:40 PM »
  Plenty of legitimate orthodox households have pets. Whether having a pet is right or wrong, it ranks low on my list of complaints against the deformed.

Uhhh. You must not have read the article... The issue I brought up has nothing to do with owning pets. The issue is that this 'temple' brings them to services on Shabbat.... thats the problem... I said many times that I have cats but I would NEVER bring them into the sanctuary for services...

For instance, Temple Emanu-El is unusual among synagogues in that it offers semi-regular Pet Shabbats, initiated by the animal-loving cantor who wanted Saturday services to be a welcome spot, occasionally, where furry friends can tag along and nosh on biscuits during the kiddush.