Author Topic: Is Tabasco Kosher?  (Read 9670 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Is Tabasco Kosher?
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »
Someone please find out for me if Tabasco is kosher or not.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Is Tabasco Kosher?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:00:27 PM »
Serious question. How could it not be Kosher?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
Serious question. How could it not be Kosher?

Im just asking because I am trying to figure it out and the Rabbi from Kashrut.org did not answer yett.
 Ingredients list has distilled vinegar that could mean a number of different things.

(Sorry I mean the Tabasco sauce)
http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco-products/sauces/tabasco-original-red-sauce/

How its made, the only thing I am concerned about is the distilled vinegar,
http://www.wimp.com/tabascosauce/
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »
OOps Never-mind, I remember now, it IS Kosher as I have seen it in a Glatt-Kosher restaurant with very good Hasgaha. Now the only question is, is it Kosher for Passover?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:57:52 PM »
OOps Never-mind, I remember now, it IS Kosher as I have seen it in a Glatt-Kosher restaurant with very good Hasgaha. Now the only question is, is it Kosher for Passover?
Not kosher for pesach,but kosher during year.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »
Not kosher for pesach,but kosher during year.

Ok thank you. Why not Kosher Le'Pessah? Is the vinegar from wheat? Not KLP in the sense of needs to be thrown away or in the sense of just put away till after Pessah?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 11:19:56 PM »
Ok thank you. Why not Kosher Le'Pessah? Is the vinegar from wheat? Not KLP in the sense of needs to be thrown away or in the sense of just put away till after Pessah?
It is not kosher for pesach because of the vinegar.
Vinegar needs to be be special kosher foe pesach hechsher this why ketchup & mayonaise need special hechsherim for pesach.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 11:38:18 PM »
It is not kosher for pesach because of the vinegar.
Vinegar needs to be be special kosher foe pesach hechsher this why ketchup & mayonaise need special hechsherim for pesach.

I dont think all. It depends from where it is derived. For example if its apple its NP.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
Also what about vinager that is derived from grapes. Is their an issue of Yayin Nesach thus not Kosher all together?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 11:59:20 PM »
Also what about vinager that is derived from grapes. Is their an issue of Yayin Nesach thus not Kosher all together?
If it has a hechsher no problem.
Vinegar must have a hechsher.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
If it has a hechsher no problem.
Vinegar must have a hechsher.

It is just K in this case (of Tabasco sauce from that company) but it is Kosher as is known.

I think it depends what vinegar. For example if it is just "Vinegar" labelled according to Kashrut.org it is Kosher Le Pessah ( I will double check it again)

Ok this on the list   (Pessah 2013)

Vinegar (when listed alone)
(when listed on ingredient
panel on a packaged product)

Its Kosher LePessah for both Sefardim and Askenasim.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 08:04:12 PM »
Also on list

Apple Cider Vinegar
panel on a packaged
product)

Rice Vinegar
panel on a packaged
product)                                For Sefardim (or those who eat Kitniyot).

Balsamic Vinegar
Must be Kosher
Supervised or less than
1/6th (when listed on
ingredient panel on a
packaged product)

Soo I take it that its Balsamic Vinegar that needs a proper Hasgaha and is derived from grapes. I will perhaps do a little more research.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 08:06:06 PM »
Balsamic vinegar (Italian: aceto balsamico) is a condiment originating from Italy.
The original traditional product (Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale), made from a reduction of cooked white Trebbiano grape juice and not a vinegar in the usual sense,

(From Wiki).

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 11:10:07 PM »
It is just K in this case (of Tabasco sauce from that company) but it is Kosher as is known.

I think it depends what vinegar. For example if it is just "Vinegar" labelled according to Kashrut.org it is Kosher Le Pessah ( I will double check it again)

Ok this on the list   (Pessah 2013)

Vinegar (when listed alone)
panel on a packaged product)

Its Kosher LePessah for both Sefardim and Askenasim.
Tabasco is known to be kosher & is used by various kashrus organizations it is quite possible that even with a plain k it may be under a kashrus oranization & that the company never changed the label .
As far as I have seen working in the field all kashrus angencies insist on a hechsher on all vinegars.