Author Topic: Cartoon on conscription.  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Cartoon on conscription.
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »
Let him know what you think about his little "cartoon"
Email:   [email protected]

.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
Re: Cartoon on conscription.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:00:52 AM »
There is a thing such as "National Service" in Israel. Could the Haredi community just do that instead? And continue their Torah studies at the same time?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 12:30:04 AM »
There is a thing such as "National Service" in Israel. Could the Haredi community just do that instead? And continue their Torah studies at the same time?

They could teach Torah as outreach. That is a type of national service. Even where I live in the US, there are Bnot Sherut Leumi that come to volunteer with kids in the local Jewish schools. They do Shabbatons and also are in charge of the local Bnei Akiva. Haredim could teach Torah to kids in Israel.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 12:40:13 AM »

They could teach Torah as outreach. That is a type of national service. Even where I live in the US, there are Bnot Sherut Leumi that come to volunteer with kids in the local Jewish schools. They do Shabbatons and also are in charge of the local Bnei Akiva. Haredim could teach Torah to kids in Israel.

Exactly, that is the type of thing I mean. I am sure some Chassidim are able to join the religious part of the IDF but I don't think it would benefit all of them. It would not benefit Israel to draft a bunch of young men who are not going to pick up a weapon to shoot and will only become target practice of the arabs and it would not benefit these yeshiva men to be out of their Torah environment. I do support that they go out and do National Service and help with any way they can. Community service etc..