Author Topic: It always gets worse before it gets better  (Read 721 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
It always gets worse before it gets better
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
Shalom,

I am bitterly disappointed with the election results today. We have all spent so much time and effort trying to bring about an outcome which has not materialized. This will cause all of us a lot of emotional frustration and mental depression. The possibility of so much going wrong in the next four years is virtually debilitating to think about but we must not allow ourselves to fall. I always encourage people to spend time meditating and praying to Hashem, even when the blade is against our throats.

I titled this post "It always gets worse before it gets better" based on an idea which is learned from the Torah. In the book of Shemot {Exodus} an odd thing happens. Hashem sends Moshe to confront the Pharoah telling him to "Let my people go" to which the Pharoah dismisses and makes the work on the Jewish slaves even more demanding. The slaves would have to make mud bricks without any straw.  From this we learn an insight into how Hashem deals with us, and what we should learn from these events.

http://www.tfdixie.com/parshat/vaera/009.htm

Justice is rarely achieved smoothly or painlessly. At the end of last week's Torah portion, Moses and Aaron confront Pharaoh for the first time, perhaps with dreams that all they would need to do is invoke Hashem's name, transmit His instructions to let the Jewish people celebrate a three-day festival in the wilderness, and the king of Egypt would acquiesce immediately. Instead, not only did Pharaoh impudently challenge the One who sent them - "Who is G-d that I should heed Him?. . . I do not know G-d" (Exodus 5:2) - but he made the lives of the slaves even worse, demanding that they fetch the straw for the bricks without relaxing the daily production quota. Moses' discouraged reaction is reasonable: "Hashem. . .why have you sent me? From the time I came to Pharaoh to speak in Your name, he did evil to this people" (ibid. 5:22-23).

This week's Torah portion narrates the drama of what is nothing less than the battle of kings - Pharaoh, the king of Egypt, and Hashem, the King of kings. In sharp contrast to his initial brazenness, by the end of this week's Torah portion a humbled Pharaoh not only admits G-d's existence, but even declares "Hashem is in the right, and I and my people are in the wrong" (ibid. 9:27). What precipitates this rather remarkable turnaround is the main drama of Parshat Vaera: Hashem smiting Egypt with an unrelenting series of plagues.

So while it is terrible and painful and downright horrible we must not allow the facts to diminish our strength. We must become even stronger, more resolved, and more cunning in our methods of spreading the word that CHANGE must come or else our country is destroyed.

While I have lost some faith in the American people because of this latest election, I still have faith that a great number of Americans are aware that Obama is poison to America. It is going to be a very discouraging four years coming and I can't candy-coat it for anyone. We must swallow this bitter pill and better ourselves, better those around us, and soon we will be ready to better this country.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: It always gets worse before it gets better
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:20 AM »
Not all votes in Ohio and Florida were counted. Let's pray that it's darkest before dawn

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:18:08 AM »
wonderful message

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:19:35 AM »
Not all votes in Ohio and Florida were counted. Let's pray that it's darkest before dawn

I sure hope there is some turn around at this point...

If there is a chance for Romney, may it happen in the merit of the righteous.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:27:42 AM »
Here is Talmud Volume Berachot 10a. In this section we learn that a man must never give up, even if the sword of the enemy is against your throat...

http://halakhah.com/berakoth/berakoth_10.html

R. Hamnuna said: What is the meaning of the verse, Who is as the wise man? And who knoweth the interpretation [pesher] of a thing?30  Who is like the Holy One, blessed be He, who knew how to effect a reconciliation [pesharah] between two righteous men, Hezekiah and Isaiah? Hezekiah said: Let Isaiah come to me, for so we find that Elijah went to Ahab,31  as it says, And Elijah went to show himself unto Ahab.32  Isaiah said: Let Hezekiah come to me, for so we find that Jehoram son of Ahab went to Elisha.33  What did the Holy One, blessed be He, do? He brought sufferings upon Hezekiah and then said to Isaiah, Go visit the sick. For so it says, In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah the prophet, son of Amoz, came to him and said unto him, Thus saith the Lord, Set thy house in order, for thou shalt die and not live34  etc. What is the meaning of 'thou shalt die and not live'? Thou shalt die in this world and not live in the world to come. He said to him: Why so bad? He replied: Because you did not try to have children. He said: The reason was because I saw by the holy spirit that the children issuing from me would not be virtuous. He said to him: What have you to do with the secrets of the All-Merciful? You should have done what you were commanded, and let the Holy One, blessed be He, do that which pleases Him. He said to him: Then give me now your daughter; perhaps through your merit and mine combined virtuous children will issue from me. He replied:35  The doom has already been decreed. Said the other: Son of Amoz, finish your prophecy and go. This tradition I have from the house of my ancestor:36  Even if a sharp sword rests upon a man's neck he should not desist from prayer.37  This saying is also recorded in the names of R. Johanan and R. Eleazar: Even if a sharp sword rests on a man's neck, he should not desist from prayer, as it says, Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him.38

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:22:22 AM »
I was thinking the same.... I think things have to get really really bad before they get better.... and this certainly points to things getting worse.