Author Topic: Rabbi Mordechai Becher's interesting views on Archaeology and the Bible  (Read 2205 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
http://torahdownloads.org/shiur-24332.html

I find Rabbi Becher's views interesting. But I would like to add a word of caution.
Rabbi Becher thinks the Pharaoh of the Exodus was Pepi.
There are really multiple theories on who was this Pharaoh and at this point in time, none of the proofs I've seen so far, have convinced me that one theory is absolutely correct.
Another problem when trying to use archaeology to explain a point in the Bible is that we quite often do not have such a firm idea of the Chronology of Ancient Peoples like the Egyptians.
The proofs that a particular archaeological find belongs to a particular period of time are often rather flimsy.
Some of the other flaws in relying to much on archaeology are brought out in Rabbi Becher's lecture.
For example, that our preconceived notions or biases often affect how we interpret the evidence. Also it is risky to jump to conclusions based on not finding something, because maybe we did not have the luck to dig in the right area, etc.